The Partick Thistle thread

53 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

That is what i don't understand either, hence why i suggested Doolan. The issue with Doolan was he did not want to be a manager or coach with the womans team which was on offer at the time so he went to Arbroath. Doolan or Dobbie as a bench warmer i think both would probably do what is required when needed, but who would be cheaper?

I wouldn't object to Doolan or Dobbie as a backup striker (to get either to agree to that I'd have to guess a coaching role would be available). That said, if they were to demand substantial wages then it's not particularly good business sense. No clue about Dobbie's plans, but I think Doolan will probably drop down the leagues & stay part-time - he may be back at Firhill one day (I hope he is) but doubt it'll be as a player. Dobbie I just don't understand why we'd sign - he's getting on a bit, he probably would't be a starter, he may demand high wages and he doesn't exactly live close. As I said, when we were struggling for goals, a short-term stint for Dobbie would've been understandable, but not really now - wouldn't make sense from his point of view either. 

McCall did say that he'd like a fourth striker if the budget allows for it though, so depending on whether we are able to get Tiffoney & the other targets, we may or may not have someone come in as backup. 

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did Geggan look to still have enough legs in him to play at this level last season? Looks like he's just about to return to us. 

I don't think he ever played long enough in any games to say whether his legs have gone but he was fine in the brief minutes he played.

McCall was forever going on about the impact him and Bell had on the dressing room so that should more than make up for whatever limitations he has now in terms of ability to last a full game at this level.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't think he ever played long enough in any games to say whether his legs have gone but he was fine in the brief minutes he played.

McCall was forever going on about the impact him and Bell had on the dressing room so that should more than make up for whatever limitations he has now in terms of ability to last a full game at this level.

Cheers, I'm fully expecting him to be our captain going forward so that dressing room impact will be vital. 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did Geggan look to still have enough legs in him to play at this level last season? Looks like he's just about to return to us. 

Aye, as above he was only really doing about 20-30 minutes at a time at most to give other players a rest for us so hard to know. We put out a thing when all the loan players left with McCall saying something about them, and about Geggan it was:

“While Andy Geggan never played as many games as he would have liked to, his infectious character was certainly felt around the dressing room. He is a player I’ve worked with for many years so I knew exactly what he would bring to the environment and that helped to forge the bond of togetherness that was so evident on the park.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers, I'm fully expecting him to be our captain going forward so that dressing room impact will be vital. 

As others have said, he didnt play much but you cant underestimate how vital players like him and Bell were/are to clubs beyond the 90 minutes of a game. Be that in setting standards of application and desire at training/in the warm up, creating a team bond or just generally being a good senior pro who can bridge the gap between coaching staff and younger teammates.

IMO its not a coincidence that the time those two were at the club is the first time in literally years the players looked like an actual team who would fight for each other.

No idea if he is capable of playing 90 min every week at this stage, but should be a good signing for you.

Thats incredible business by McCall, Penrice seemingly played his best football at Livi, he was poor to average at best with us and was living off the reputation from his loan spell at Livi and the cheesy 'one of our own' pish that a lot of people get excited about. Tiffoney is the reason we're in the championship and looked good enough to be a player who could be the reason we're in the premiership the next.

58 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Also confirmed that Penrice is going to Livingston. Seems the swap deal 'compensation' was true

It makes sense.

I think someone had said we were due more compensation for Penrice than Livingston would have been for Tiffoney, but I feel that we’re getting a player who will make a bigger contribution to their respective club, so by that logic I’m happy to lose out on a few quid in compo value here.

It’s clearly a deal that works out for everyone; both clubs and both players.

Not being funny, but is there any team in the country bar Rangers* got as much of a head start in terms of next season's squad?

Big fan of getting this type of thing done so quickly.

The squads, what, 3 or 4 players away? Keeper, right back, right mid and maybe another centre back? A 4th choice striker if we are being greedy?

Happy days.