The Partick Thistle thread

Glad to see we are signing a lot of younger players and building a team. Gordon & McIver i have to admit i was a tad meh on but they have time to come right and a 1 year deal to prove that is smart business. The older head in Foster is good to have around the place and Turner should be a decent acquisition. How nice is it to actually be doing our business early! 

Has it been confirmed whether the covid loan rules have been extended to the 21/22 season? That might have an impact on the overall size of the squad. 

The 4 outfield players would seem to be a striker, 2 wingers and a defender, or a striker and 3 wingers if he's happy with Sena / O'Ware. 

The longer it goes on without us signing Tiffoney the more I think he'll be off elsewhere but the newspaper guy and the hint from McCall in the interview seem to suggest it's happening. Wonder if Penrice going the other way in lieu of cash, would absolutely take a straight swap, probably as would all Livi fans. 

Turner should be an excellent signing for yourselves. He's at his best further forward dictating the play and linking with the forwards but he can play deeper as well. He was playing everywhere and doing just about everything for us. Defending in the box, collecting the ball from the defence,driving it forward box-to-box, getting stuck in and he's not afraid to have a pop at goal. Or a pop at his team mates but in that way of constantly wanting to maintain high standards rather than anything else. I expect he'll be better playing in one position in the Championship for yourselves, but he is a great player and great all-rounder. It's no exaggeration to say he was the fundamental reason we finished in 2nd place and reached the play-off final. I thought he might go to a Premiership club as well but I expect him to do very well for Thistle. Hope he goes on to have a great career from here. 

14 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Turner should be an excellent signing for yourselves. He's at his best further forward dictating the play and linking with the forwards

This is good news then as McCall says he wants to deploy him further forward in front of Bannigan & Docherty. 

Echo what airdrieman said earlier, a spectacular bit of business from Thistle there and about as good a midfielder as you could conceivably sign at your level without something absolutely bonkers happening. Will absolutely run the show for you guys this season. Best of luck to him he was easily our best player after the restart and I didn't see a better one in any other L1 team we played.

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Echo what airdrieman said earlier, a spectacular bit of business from Thistle there and about as good a midfielder as you could conceivably sign at your level without something absolutely bonkers happening. Will absolutely run the show for you guys this season. Best of luck to him he was easily our best player after the restart and I didn't see a better one in any other L1 team we played.

I'll Third this sentiment.

almost single handedly dragged us kicking and (literally) screaming to 2nd place.  A fantastic coup by Thistle, I had half expected him to rock up at a Hearts or a St Johnstone.  Really hope the boy does well, cant fault his attitude one bit.

McCall saying in the interview released yesterday he believes we are three or four short of the squad he wants and these signings should be ones to excite the fans.
He is looking for another striker. 
And hopefully another player will be brought in this week “one the fans will be quite happy with”.

13 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

McCall saying in the interview released yesterday he believes we are three or four short of the squad he wants and these signings should be ones to excite the fans.
He is looking for another striker. 
And hopefully another player will be brought in this week “one the fans will be quite happy with”.

If we’re adding a striker then I’d expect it to be a younger one, possibly a loan. Graham and Rudden will be starting, with MacIver first off the bench. I guess it could be someone like Dobbie who won’t expect too much game time. 

If we’re adding a striker then I’d expect it to be a younger one, possibly a loan. Graham and Rudden will be starting, with MacIver first off the bench. I guess it could be someone like Dobbie who won’t expect too much game time. 
I fully expect Dobbie to sign for you. But if it's limite game time I doubt he'd be up for that otherwise he'd surely have stayed put with us.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I fully expect Dobbie to sign for you. But if it's limited game time I doubt he'd be up for that otherwise he'd surely have stayed put with us.

Was it his decision to leave Queen of the South? 

Be inclined to believe it more if it was one of the known sports journalists, or one of the guy’s who regularly report on Thistle. That said, hopefully it’s true and we get it over the line this week.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

I fully expect Dobbie to sign for you. But if it's limite game time I doubt he'd be up for that otherwise he'd surely have stayed put with us.

Graham and Rudden will be our starting strikers next season with McIver as back-up.

Ideally, McCall should sign another proven striker who is younger than Dobbie.

Graham and Rudden will be our starting strikers next season with McIver as back-up.
How many proven strikers will be queuing up to be 4th choice in the championship?

18 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
55 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

How many proven strikers will be queuing up to be 4th choice in the championship?

I did not say that he would fourth choice. We need a striker to provide strong competition and cover for Graham and Rudden.

MacIver has potential but has very limited experience at Championship level. He made a few appearances for Morton last season before his loan terminated.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Something makes me still think Doolan.....Right or wrong choice i will let others decide. But surely he would be better than Dobbie no?