The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

One of the WAT experts has cracked it - we’re shit because we’ve had to rebuild the squad. Not because we’ve got shit players or a shit management team.

Whilst I’d disagree with that being the reason, it should be noted in non-excuse making terms, that of course rebuilding a squad, it sometimes takes time for it all to click together, if that was the point being made, it’s understandable. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Whilst I’d disagree with that being the reason, it should be noted in non-excuse making terms, that of course rebuilding a squad, it sometimes takes time for it all to click together, if that was the point being made, it’s understandable. 

Injuries sort of holds a bit more water with me than that as an excuse, but even there we shot ourselves in the foot to an extent (O'Ware getting a new deal with us then getting crocked again, two more years left on his deal going by the OS)

22 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Injuries sort of holds a bit more water with me than that as an excuse, but even there we shot ourselves in the foot to an extent (O'Ware getting a new deal with us then getting crocked again, two more years left on his deal going by the OS)

I think injuries have certainly been a big problem for us this season, goes without saying, McCall had planned to play a front 2 of Graham and Rudden, as yet, he’s been unable to do that. We had planned to have a No.10 of Declan Glass, he got injured, so was replaced with Blair Spittal, he got injured. 
However, all that said, it can’t be used as an excuse, you just have to get on with it, and with the players we still have available, we should have more points than we currently have. 

We haven't had a proper start-from-scratch job since McCall first took the job about 15 years ago and (I think) only had Jimmy Gibson signed up for his first season - I'd like to see us start from similar come the end of May regardless of what division we're in, with Sena looking like our only asset worth holding on to. 

For all that Gary Caldwell is a stonkingly shite football manager, I appreciated:

1.) His decision to actively torture the squad shortly after taking the job.

2.) His emotional disconnect from the club and the players, and will to actually get underperforming or past-it players out the door. 

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

Is there really that much of an overhaul taken place? 

Our starting 11 is still made up by a lot of last season's starting 11. 

Yep, that’s the only real flaw in the argument about a rebuild, there are several guys who were here last season (although a few who had maybe only been with us a few months pre-lockdown). 

9 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

2.) His emotional disconnect from the club and the players, and will to actually get underperforming or past-it players out the door. 

To be fair, he gave all the credit to getting players out the door, to Gerry Britton, at the “Meet the Manager” night, he wasn’t really involved much in it. 

4 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

We haven't had a proper start-from-scratch job since McCall first took the job about 15 years ago and (I think) only had Jimmy Gibson signed up for his first season - I'd like to see us start from similar come the end of May regardless of what division we're in, with Sena looking like our only asset worth holding on to. 

For all that Gary Caldwell is a stonkingly shite football manager, I appreciated:

1.) His decision to actively torture the squad shortly after taking the job.

McNamara cleared out a fair bit of dead wood and stuck with players that were  capable of being competitive.

He then added or promoted young hungry players that hadn't gained much experience elsewhere such as SOD, ATS, Lawless, Muirhead, Balatoni and Welsh.

Sena and Brownlie have been solid. Bannigan has been pretty consistent. Docherty not quite the Lothar Matthäus McCall was hyping up but good enough at this level.

Main problem is the dearth of creativity and exciting forward play. Declan Glass seems to have been our creative attacking force but sadly we'll probably never see him in a Thistle shirt.

Not seen anything much from Cardle, Graham, Gordon, Murray and Lyons to suggest our goals for column is a statistical anomaly.

HELP!

It's been pretty exciting to find first-time photos of several old Jagsmen lately, including Thomas Dunsmore (1914), Alex Davidson (1912), John Stevenson (1912), Hugh Quigley (1912) and James Niven (1910s).  Well over 1,000 done, several hundred still to go.

Could you help with any of our missing player images?

We never really stop adding bits n bobs, but don't always mention it, perhaps we should and stir the interest a bit more. Recently, dates of birth and previously unknown club connections were added for Rajiv Pathak and Adam McCall. Again, we now have well over 1,000 dates/places of birth in our database, but still we search for several hundred more, including ELEVEN of the current squad.

Do you know where or when was he born?

Any help appreciated and gets you a mention in our credits section, get in contact →

The worrying reality is that in the space of a few years we've went from a half decent Prem team to mid table in League One and the players we have reflect that.

Fact is that if it hadnt been for Queens Part going FT, we would have claim to be the worst fully FT team in the country.

On paper it looks okay, but I think a lot of players are living on past reputation. Bannigan, Foster, Cardle, Rudden, OWare and several others have shown nothing recently to suggest they are anything other than decent League One players.

We are miles short.

18 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

The worrying reality is that in the space of a few years we've went from a half decent Prem team to mid table in League One and the players we have reflect that.

Fact is that if it hadnt been for Queens Part going FT, we would have claim to be the worst fully FT team in the country.

On paper it looks okay, but I think a lot of players are living on past reputation. Bannigan, Foster, Cardle, Rudden, OWare and several others have shown nothing recently to suggest they are anything other than decent League One players.

We are miles short.

When you look at the experience in our squad coupled with the "best young talent", it's disgusting where we find ourselves this season. Shameful actually.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Bannigan, Foster, Cardle, Rudden, OWare and several others have shown nothing recently to suggest they are anything other than decent League One players.

Harsh on Bannigan and possibly Foster, who’ve been solid recently, Rudden, could always still improve, O’Ware is completely out the picture, and not worth mentioning until he’s actually played in League One, Cardle is the same as last season, far too inconsistent and frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Harsh on Bannigan and possibly Foster, who’ve been solid recently, Rudden, could always still improve, O’Ware is completely out the picture, and not worth mentioning until he’s actually played in League One, Cardle is the same as last season, far too inconsistent and frustrating. 

We need better than solid if we are to get promoted. Simply being solid isnt good enough.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

We need better than solid if we are to get promoted. Simply being solid isnt good enough.

Whilst you’re not wrong, the original point was still harsh, plenty players have been worse lately than Bannigan and Foster, Foster’s been part of an excellent defensive record so far this season, the problem is in attack, the defensive side of our game is absolutely good enough for a promotion-chasing side. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Whilst you’re not wrong, the original point was still harsh, plenty players have been worse lately than Bannigan and Foster, Foster’s been part of an excellent defensive record so far this season, the problem is in attack, the defensive side of our game is absolutely good enough for a promotion-chasing side. 

Our problems are more than in attack. We have no crestivity in midfield. Bannigan, Docherty and Penrice are all defensive players. Maybe not Bannigan, he is just a sideways player( useless).

Our problems are more than in attack. We have no crestivity in midfield. Bannigan, Docherty and Penrice are all defensive players. Maybe not Bannigan, he is just a sideways player( useless).

We have been making chances, but not taking them.

Just on Saturday we had at least 4 decent chances to score that I can think of - Gordon hit the bar; Rudden hit the post; Penrice missed when clean through and Murray should have scored just before Rudden got sent off.

It has been the same in most other games too

I think the problem is - and has been for a while - the disconnect between the midfield and forwards. We really, really struggle to create much, so the odd chance we get is going to need us to be absolutely clinical, and we're clearly not.  Back in the before-times when we could still go to Firhill, the big problem was the pedestrian nature of midfield meaning we'd get bogged down and sit at around the 30 yard mark, unable to break down the ranks in front of us.  I haven't watched much of us at all in the pandemic times, but I assume we haven't changed?