The Partick Thistle thread

8 hours ago, Hello Sailor said:

Anyone able to confirm what Caldwell has been slavering now? Seen a few tweets about him talking mince on talksport but nothing specific 

It was Martin Keown who was on TalkSport, he was talking about how Caldwell treated Niall & others, making them train with the youths, telling them to stay away from the stadium,  trying to force them out the club. He did also praise Archie, and said he was very good to Niall, but it’s when the new management came in, that problems started (he was saying this as part of a wider point about the PFA, and treatment of players.)

8 hours ago, Hello Sailor said:

Anyone able to confirm what Caldwell has been slavering now? Seen a few tweets about him talking mince on talksport but nothing specific 

It was Martin Keown talking about Caldwell banishing his son and 5 other players https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1608285600/1608294600/

It’s about 3:30 in.

I wonder who the 5 other players were.

Edited by Maine

I don't want to think of too many of that squad but the likes of Mutumbo and Coulibaly would probably have also been frozen out. 

I think Keown Sr has some of the story a bit confused (though the bit about Caldwell being a dick I wouldn't dispute). Keown along with a couple of others was one without a relegation wage cut clause so was also told he couldn't play until he signed a new deal on less wages.  

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I don't want to think of too many of that squad but the likes of Mutumbo and Coulibaly would probably have also been frozen out. 

I think Keown Sr has some of the story a bit confused (though the bit about Caldwell being a dick I wouldn't dispute). Keown along with a couple of others was one without a relegation wage cut clause so was also told he couldn't play until he signed a new deal on less wages.  

Miles Storey was the other one w/o a relegation clause.

(im so, so sorry to bring him up again. Shhh. He's gone now, it's ok.)

Genuinely seething at that entire fucking game. Foster repeatedly shelling the ball out for Peterhead throw ins, pretty much everyone failing to beat the first player with crosses/passes/dribble attempts, 2nd half hoofball up to Rudden and Graham who were about as effective as wooden planks with mean faces painted on them, slack defending to fail to meaningfully clear the ball leading to Peterhead's goal, Joe Cardle making some .gif worthy shanks out of play, our keeper nearly chucking the ball into his own net... edit: forgot to add that incredibly awkward bit where Brownlie tried to head the ball back and got away with it rolling off his knee/shin back to the keeper and all, very nearly a complete disaster.

Utter garbage. Falkirk are going to hammer us.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Genuinely seething at that entire fucking game. Foster repeatedly shelling the ball out for Peterhead throw ins, failing to beat the first player, hoofball up to Rudden and Graham who were about as effective as wooden planks with mean faces painted on them, slack defending to fail to meaningfully clear the ball leading to Peterhead's goal, Joe Cardle making some .gif worthy shanks out of play, keeper nearly chucking the ball into his own net...

Utter garbage. Falkirk are going to hammer us.

Would that be the end for McCall? 🤔

I've wanted him to succeed but when your results aren't any better than Gary Caldwell's were you have to make a decision...

6 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Doolan and Erskine might have been in the 5. They took the wage cut tho, as did Storey iirc. Which is why they got brought back into the team (then Caldwell decided to treat them like shit anyway). 

You would hope that senior players like Doolan and Erskine were treated with more respect. Nothing Caldwell did would be a surprise.

The others who left in December 2018/January 2019 were Quitongo, Storer, Ntambwe and Mbuyi-Mutombo. I could see them being in the exiled group.

Melbourne, Scobbie and Jeffries also left at the end of their loans.

1 minute ago, MS RR said:

I did say a couple of weeks ago on here, that it's just a case of how many points Falkirk win the league by. Partick are just so poor atm and they are the only team that could genuinely challenge us. 

We’ll probably play better against you because you’ll have more of a go. We can’t break down stacked defences. 

I did say a couple of weeks ago on here, that it's just a case of how many points Falkirk win the league by. Partick are just so poor atm and they are the only team that could genuinely challenge us. 

Get to f**k with talk like this

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

You would hope that senior players like Doolan and Erskine were treated with more respect. Nothing Caldwell did would be a surprise.

The others who left in December 2018/January 2019 were Quitongo, Storer, Ntambwe and Mbuyi-Mutombo. I could see them being in the exiled group.

Melbourne, Scobbie and Jeffries also left at the end of their loans.

Quitongo left for other reasons. Nothing to do with being frozen out

Edited by third lanark

1 hour ago, MS RR said:

Please just effing stop with this.  Just stop. 

I feel like McCall has built a team that, while more balanced on paper than Caldwell’s rabble of a squad, is still severely lacking in quality, especially in midfield. This persistence with Docherty and Bannigan as a midfield pairing is infuriating, as neither of them offers anything in a creative sense and they both slow the game down. Bannigan looks totally finished to me, and the point today at the end of the first half where he shielded the ball in the corner instead of putting in a cross was one of the most gutless and embarrassing things I’ve seen on a football pitch in years.

Cardle & Williamson both shank the majority of their crosses out of the pitch or fail to beat the first man, Penrice gets muscled off the ball far too easily and very rarely gets into positive positions, and Murray is an ineffective nothing player who has no distinguishing strengths.

It’s no surprise at all that we’re not scoring many goals when you consider the dearth of talent playing behind Brian Graham right now. Graham himself has been poor the past few weeks, but I’m reticent to blame him too much for our lack of goals considering the service he’s currently getting.

If McCall was sacked tonight I doubt many would care. I feel like we’re probably stuck with him for the foreseeable, though, and therefore we’ll be sitting watching Bannigan & Docherty plodding around the midfield doing nothing until at least May.

Edited by Nightmare