The Partick Thistle thread

5 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Having a legal background does not mean that your opinion is therefore right. There can be a conflict between a company's articles of association, company law and regulatory best practice.

This case will scrutinise the SPFL and SFA's governance, rules and regulations. They are not fit for purpose and the "jobs for the boys" culture  in football  is unacceptable. Sadly,  it will very difficult to change it as there are too many vested interests and personal agendas.

Just look at FIFA and it's regional confederations. Models of regulatory best practice and financial probity? 

Precisely. 

3 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Deterrence.

They want all disputes involving the affairs of Scottish football to be the subject of arbitration rather than the courts. It’s cheaper and reduces risks and uncertainties in their business activities. It leaves football people in control of the process so they can govern flexibly as they see fit.

Quite important when your business model depends on sponsorship and media contracts that assume your competitions will be run in a certain way.

The bright lights of London and the office photocopier have taken their toll on you.

4 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

Whatever you think about the chances of success in the court action, the constant pushing in the press of expulsion talk is ridiculous. Why is that being pushed so hard?

Agree, it's something that simply will not (and should not) happen in this case.  

Theres a reason Lincoln Hearts has run away from the main court case thread and is now slinking about individual club threads to talk about it.

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out why.

Also, Aberdeen are selling season tickets and are "confident" they can get 7500 fans in for the opening game. That's on their official Twitter. Based on that there seems to be every chance your League One games might start with a full crowd.

8 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

The bright lights of London and the office photocopier have taken their toll on you.

I have only once used a photocopier since I first moved to London.

Zero points for you. Much like the matches that book-ended your club’s league season.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Aberdeen are selling season tickets and are "confident" they can get 7500 fans in for the opening game. That's on their official Twitter. Based on that there seems to be every chance your League One games might start with a full crowd.

Well that’s good news then. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a reason Lincoln Hearts has run away from the main court case thread and is now slinking about individual club threads to talk about it.

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out why.

WTF you on about Billy?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jeez, irony with a capital I. 

19 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Except the SFA isn't (unlike the Financial Conduct Authority) simply a regulatory body, and arbitration isn't the same thing as adjudication.

If you look at pretty much any nation with a football association that operates separately from the corporate body of its leagues, you will see a deliberate decision to include representatives from the latter sitting on the board of the former.

For example, Peter McCormick sits on the FA Board as a representative of the Premier League, Rick Parry sits on it on behalf of the EFL, and the two league bodies have a joint representative on the FA Board in the form of Rupinder Bains.

In Germany, the Chief Executive of the DFL is a Vice President of the Deutscher Fußball-Bund.

This is clearly the norm for how football is structured, and it's because national associations aren't meant to be the same as financial regulators. Their functions simply aren't the same.

This is not a conflict of interest.

I hope he doesn't, because it will make him look very silly and it would be such a shame to ruin his career pursuing such a legal non-starter of an argument when he might otherwise be useful to us with this and future disputes.

Ah so what you're saying is, corruption in football is occurring globally. 

I think it's arguable, that by definition it's not a clear cut yes or no, in terms of a conflict of interest. 

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon

10 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Ah so what you're saying is, corruption in football is occurring globally. 

No. Corruption requires dishonesty. They are transparent here in how they want it to be arranged unfairly.

10 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think it's arguable, that by definition it's not a clear cut yes or no, in terms of a conflict of interest. 

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The Fat Controller Laughed | Know Your Meme

22 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Because it's extreme. Football reporters in the Scottish press only deal in opposite ends of the spectrum, nothing in between allows them to use their shite hyperbole.

Plus, a more nuanced take on proceedings would require said journos to actually understand the case. Given that most of them struggle to get the names of players right, the odds of them understanding a potentially complex legal argument based on the intersection of SFA/SPFL articles of association and competition law is about as likely as me waking up with Scarlett Johansson tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

"Hauled into the dock"

Absolutely not asked to give evidence via a video link.

He will be arrested, clapped in irons and dragged along the M8 behind a coach, before being "hauled into the dock".