The Partick Thistle thread

51 minutes ago, btb said:

Stirring it a bit but what do you guys think about the current Colt teams proposal, wouldya want them admitted so you could avoid relegation?

Get the Colts idea as far to f**k as possible. 

For a start it is only designed to benefit two teams and the idea that it would somehow benefit the national team is laughable. Totally takes the competitiveness of it out when Celtic B start romping the Championship but cant get promoted.

Wont help player development any more than the current set up and a slap to the face for all other clubs. As I said, get them as far to f**k as possible. Even bringing them into the Challenge Cup is a total embarrassment.

1 minute ago, R&Y99 said:

After fox’s departure yesterday who do we think is likely to be joining him?

Given the uncertainty around just now I'd be surprised if too many of our contracted players jumped ship just now. Mansell is one I think might boost if we gets something else lined up. Graham and Rudden might attract interested from quite a few teams but not sure if it would be concrete enough for us to agree to, especially for Rudden since we paid a fee.

18 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

Mansell and  Zanatta

The rest, I can see staying, (maybe optimism taking over regarding Rudden and Graham) 

Guys like Banzo and O’Ware, I definitely see them staying. 

57 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

As in, 'who do we want shot of'? 😃

56 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Get the Colts idea as far to f**k as possible. 

For a start it is only designed to benefit two teams and the idea that it would somehow benefit the national team is laughable. Totally takes the competitiveness of it out when Celtic B start romping the Championship but cant get promoted.

Wont help player development any more than the current set up and a slap to the face for all other clubs. As I said, get them as far to f**k as possible. Even bringing them into the Challenge Cup is a total embarrassment.

I am sure there'll be just as much knicker-wetting about Celtic 'B' versus the Rangers 'B' in the meeja when the 'parent' clubs are not booting each other up in the air.

1 minute ago, Dr Koop said:

I am sure there'll be just as much knicker-wetting about Celtic 'B' versus the Rangers 'B' in the meeja when the 'parent' clubs are not booting each other up in the air.

Exactly. Can you imagine the utter love in for that game across the media,  regardless of where they two teams were in the league at that time. There's enough vile already without adding to it.

And you just know they would try sign every half decent prospect under then sun just so that their B teams could be better than the other ones B team.

Maybe if these teams, Rangers in particular, just focused more on developing their youth players rather than pretending the fact they dont have any youth players in their squad is to do with league structure and not their complete inability to develop young talent for their own first team. Celtic at least have 3 or 4 there or thereabouts.

3 hours ago, btb said:

Stirring it a bit but what do you guys think about the current Colt teams proposal, wouldya want them admitted so you could avoid relegation?

Colts teams can get so far to f**k. I’d sooner Thistle were in the fourth tier of Scottish Football than Old Firm Colts are admitted to the pyramid.

One of the few things still going for Scottish Football is that both the Old Firm and some young players see non-Old Firm clubs as a viable part of the player development pathway.

As soon as you provide 36 or whatever weekend games a season for a Colts team you totally kill that off. The ambition for the country’s best will be even more concentrated with the Bigot Brothers, who can then offer more money and a much clearer route to progression for several times as many youth players.

At the moment the Old Firm has to loan out its “not first team standard yet” youth players so that they don’t rot. This is an important counterweight against their ability financially to sweep up the overwhelming majority of youth talent. This advantages other clubs as they typically get subsidised loan arrangements for underdeveloped prospects.

At the moment you also get a small number of players who don’t sign for the Old Firm at all. They are willing not to take a big pay check early in their career calculating that promising playing time will give them a chance to ply their trade in England. This means genuine talents like John McGinn, Andy Robertson, Robert Snodgrass, James McArthur, James McFadden etc. actually do play against the Old Firm in proper football and give other clubs a glimmer of a chance of delivering them a bloody nose.

And when those players do move on, there is a proper market for those players rather than just two domestic bidders. So teams like Hamilton actually do get a million for a player instead of £250k or some risible training compensation. That money sustains and rewards non Old Firm youth set ups that are run well.

Colts strangles that nascent alternative. The Old Firm will loan out fewer youths, release fewer youths surplus to requirements, and far more easily reap the financial rewards of discovered talent to the exclusion of other Scottish clubs.

Even if you put an age limit on their Colts you are at best encouraging more players to be released in their mid 20s from the Old Firm instead of in their late teens. That’s bad for their development.

If Clubs are drawn in by this promise of four years of paltry admission fees they are total mugs. We know fine well that money is just going to be spent on signing an extra journeyman in most cases and will not in fact support grass roots or youth development.

Get it in the fucking sea where it belongs.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Friendly charity bet that Thistle make the Championship promotion playoffs* before Morton?

*playoffs to get into the Premiership

Just you focus on trying to pip East Fife and Montrose for the last playoff spot next season champ. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Or not getting relegated for the third time in four years. 

IMG_3219.thumb.jpg.c3ab044e4a6af11467923deae76b95b2.jpg

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Given the uncertainty around just now I'd be surprised if too many of our contracted players jumped ship just now. Mansell is one I think might boost if we gets something else lined up. Graham and Rudden might attract interested from quite a few teams but not sure if it would be concrete enough for us to agree to, especially for Rudden since we paid a fee.

Media reports said the fee was Rudden was nominal but Rangers have a re-sign option and a sell-on clause. It would be a surprise if Graham did not get other offers.

Lyons had other clubs interested in him before he signed for us. Penrice is another that could go if he has a relegation clause in his contract. 

Its pointless. With the developmental loans also players can continue to play in the reserves and out on loan at the same time.

The reality is challenge cup early round esque crowds and more guff polluting the lower leagues under the B team banner like we've had recently  such as Jamie Barjonas and Lee O'Connor or Stevie Lennon and Darren Cole in years previous, who would otherwise be out on loan anyway before they drift down the leagues and out of the game. Theres a fallacy amongst yer das that somehow crowds will skyrocket and we'll be producing world cup winners. Couldn't be further from the truth based on the evidence we have. 

Get it in the sea. I have no faith in Jacqui Low not to be bought and paid for by the Old Firm coin though. We've made a habit in recent years of taking their money under some bullshit insincere guise, whether it be fan safety, the colour of the sky or whatever it is they come up with there and then. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin

The last time I was there we had to borrow a Partick strip because ours clashed, it was bizarre! We got pumped 4.0. I was 12yrs old and this was my first away game on the East Fife supporters bus and I booked my seat through the EFM! I got a good slap when I got home for fucking off to an away game without even telling anyone! They were the days! [emoji1787]

Welcome along. Hopefully we get some games in this year as I would really like to tick off Partick off the list of grounds I've been to with East Fife

4 minutes ago, EFFC1938 said:

The last time I was there we had to borrow a Partick strip because ours clashed, it was bizarre! We got pumped 4.0. I was 12yrs old and this was my first away game on the East Fife supporters bus and I booked my seat through the EFM! I got a good slap when I got home for fucking off to an away game without even telling anyone! They were the days! emoji1787.png

Hahahaha I'll do the same this year and get a slap off my misses 🤣

48 minutes ago, EFFC1938 said:

The last time I was there we had to borrow a Partick strip because ours clashed, it was bizarre! We got pumped 4.0. I was 12yrs old and this was my first away game on the East Fife supporters bus and I booked my seat through the EFM! I got a good slap when I got home for fucking off to an away game without even telling anyone! They were the days! emoji1787.png

I was ther too and it was a 6-0 humping