The Partick Thistle thread

Have a horrible feeling this will fall through.

Ayr announced last night that McCall was wanting to join us but we’ve not heard a peep from the club all day. I reckon it’s not happening. Hope I’m wrong though.

Still wouldn’t be surprised if it fell through. Would be classic Thistle and classic Gerry Britton.

^ Idiot.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Genuinely find Archibald going back as an assistant very strange and a bit of a minter for him. Sacked a year ago only to go back as someone else’s assistant.

His wages have stopped, he has a family to look after, he is back at a club he loves and hopefully he will learn things from McCall that could even see him taking over again in 3 years time. No brainer!

Looking at the photo call I don’t think I’ve seen Archie that low-key happy since before we clinched the top six. Pleased he’s found a way back into football.

We now have our club back... until David Beattie sells it to Chien Lee and Paul Conway...

Just now, Sting777 said:

His wages have stopped, he has a family to look after, he is back at a club he loves and hopefully he will learn things from McCall that could even see him taking over again in 3 years time. No brainer!

Archibald has technically done more in his Thistle career than McCall surely? From the outside looking in you’ve got a guy who got the boot a year ago from the board and the fans wanted him out, as well as a group of players who maybe not so much chucked it, but were underperforming for him still there coming back as an assistant.

Not just saying that because he’s someone I wouldn’t have minded taking over from McCall at Ayr :lol: just find it strange.

Yeah the Archie thing does stick out as a bit weird as does having 2 assistants. Archie must have more top flight managerial experience than mccall unless I'm counting wrongly? 

Assume McCall rates Archibald as a coach. Maybe the press conference will shed a bit more light. 

9 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

If the club have offered McCall a long term contract and financed new assistants it would suggest that the proposed take over has fallen through or the appointments have been sanctioned by the new owners.

Logically then it would appear that an announcement should be imminent

AGM is on Thursday...

Delighted with this, and hope McCall has what it takes to turn us around.  God knows we need someone in charge who can command the players' respect, and who (more importantly) is capable of organising them into an actual team, and motivating them.  The previous incumbent couldn't manage any of those things.

Not sure what Archibald brings to the table (it certainly isn't recruitment skills or instilling robustness into a team so that they can see out the last 5 minutes when ahead), but if McCall wants him there then fair enough. 

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Thistle as f**k.

EFKH0xIWkAAWmCa.jpg:large

Loving Archie being back. 700 games as player and manager.
Anymore shite from Bannigan and he'll be getting launched over the Northy.

[video-to-gif output image]

Can someone lip read this please. It appears magnificent.

19 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Absolutely fantastic news, delighted. 

This will sound patronising, I can assure you it isn’t meant to, but I genuinely feel gutted for Ayr. I know how I felt when Utd came in for McNamara, yet it ended up being a blessing in disguise. No reason why this cannot be the case for Ayr.

This goes a long way to making up for the utterly devastating news that we were unable to procure the services of our number one target - Danny Lennon. *

*said no Thistle fan, ever.

Wrong again. There are some fuds on P&B but you always out do them. Trot on about 4 posts and have a word with Nightmare about sticking to the ‘official line’. 

There's, of course, no guarantees with any appointment and the new management team certainly have quite the challenge on their hands but that's as good an appointment that we could realistically have made. The Club have done well here. 

When he was appointed previously McCall talked about a five year plan. I hope he doesn't talk in those kind of specifics this time around but it is worth noting that he was only one year out in terms of Thistle winning promotion. By then though he had moved on but he laid the foundations and but for some hugely challenging financial problems he might even have got us there sooner and under his own tenure. We were ahead of the game when we had to sell Harkins and Twaddle and a little further down the line Buchanan. 

He's got a really shrewd eye for a player. Has excellent man management skills and has a good track record in giving young players an opportunity. He ticks a lot of boxes for us. 

If there is a weakness (and it is a big If and a small Weakness) then it is on the coaching side. Which is why he has always surrounded himself with good coaches. Respected not just as coaches but as people as well. I don't know much about Scally but Archibald certainly fits the bill that regard. 

It's an unifying appointment as well and goodness we need some of that. 

Thursday's AGM will be interesting. This appointment makes me think, one way or another, things have moved re the takeover. 

Edited by John MacLean