The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

This goes a long way to making up for the utterly devastating news that we were unable to procure the services of our number one target - Danny Lennon. *

*said no Thistle fan, ever.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

I was leaning more towards Lennon as a personal preference

Kenny Miller has saw his previous 8 managers sacked in a row (including his own stint at Livi) in the past 5 year. That's some going.

He’ll be one of the first out the door under McCall. He’ll know he’s not to be trusted.

Likely replace him with Doolan.

3 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

Disappointed as we are to lose Ian I wonder what you will now do with Gerry Britton? Ian was not answerable to anyone at Somerset (at least no one in the Country) and can’t see him working well with. Director of Football even if he is a pal.

I don't think Britton is what would be considered a standard Director of Football. Will have a quick check and might come back to edit this in a moment tbh but my understanding is he's more of a COO/CEO.

He’ll be one of the first out the door under McCall. He’ll know he’s not to be trusted.

Miller will be kept until the end of the season unless there are wholesale changes in January. He’s the only striker/player that looks capable of scoring goals for us. Doolan coming back as player/coach would be excellent.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’ve worked together on the BBC quite a few times, so hopefully there won’t be any issue.

They’ve worked together on the BBC quite a few times, so hopefully there won’t be any issue.

I’ve heard them a few times and I was never sure McCall liked him. Although he always has something to say to whoever is sitting next to him.

I’ll be interested to hear what he has to say if he’s on this week.

I dont think Miller has anything to do with Caldwell's departure. The blame for that lies at the door of the previous manager.

I'll be interested to see how McCall employs him. He could make him even more effective just going on how the likes of Shankland, Moffat and McCown have performed for McCall over the last couple of seasons.

There is a potentially decent supporting cast in Cardle, Zanatta and Mitch Austin. 

The main things though will be fashioning a midfield which should make a difference throughout the team. Also some continuity in defence.

It's a big job but he should be able to fashion a credible first eleven over the coming weeks.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the lowest he finished with Partick Thistle last time round and QotS? 

05/06 - QOS - 8th

06/07 - QOS - 8th, 1 point clear of 9th, sacked.

07/08 - Partick - 6th

08/09 - Partick - 2nd

09/10 - Partick - 6th

10/11 - Partick - 5th

Happy to see McCall back. He's definitely the right man for the job, and is the appointment that the gormless previous board should have made last year.

As others have said, he laid a lot of the groundwork that our recent success was build on - without his signing and subsequent sale of Harkins and Twaddle, we would have been circling the drain; he restarted what has now become Thistle Weir; he signed the back bone of the promotion team in Fox, Balatoni, Paton, Bannigan, Erskine and Dools; he signed Liam Lindsay (and I'm pretty confident, would never have let him leave for the pittance that he did).

But most importantly, he gets Thistle and understands the mentality of the club and punters.

Even happier that Archie is back, if confirmed. It was undoubtedly the right time for him to leave his post last year as he'd run his course as manager. Recruitment became a big issue for Archie and that is an area where McCall has always been very shrewd. Once we're all deid and gone, the stand at whichever ground we play at in 100 years will be named after Alan Archibald; a Thistle legend.

There's obviously still a lot to come out in the wash with the takeover but Chinese overlords allowing, I can see McCall managing the team for a few years then moving upstairs with Archie taking over again.

10 minutes ago, ARu-Shawlands said:

Still no announcement on the PTFC website, so there is still some work to be done I think. [The compensation package still has to be agreed]

I noticed on the Ayr forum pages someone is expecting a figure of around £100,000.00!!! 

That was a Dunfermline fan.  He is apparently on a rolling monthly contract so i'd imagine we would get very little, although would probably be due some for Scally too.  

Still no announcement on the PTFC website, so there is still some work to be done I think. [The compensation package still has to be agreed]
I noticed on the Ayr forum pages someone is expecting a figure of around £100,000.00!!! 

Negotiating with a desperate team should make things easier..... we’ll probably f**k it up and get a pittance though.