The Partick Thistle thread

We've found ourselves in the same position as Falkirk, Dundee and St Mirren in that their previous managers have blown the budget on a load of shite only to be bagged shortly after the transfer window closes. The new guy is unable to improve the performance of the squad he's inherited and gets criticism from the support but when you read through the threads of those clubs there is no nowhere near the same vitriol being being dished out to Mckinnon, McIntyre and Kearney as there is to Caldwell.

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

We've found ourselves in the same position as Falkirk, Dundee and St Mirren in that their previous managers have blown the budget on a load of shite only to be bagged shortly after the transfer window closes. The new guy is unable to improve the performance of the squad he's inherited and gets criticism from the support but when you read through the threads of those clubs there is no nowhere near the same vitriol being being dished out to Mckinnon, McIntyre and Kearney as there is to Caldwell.

I guess the fans of those teams aren't staring back to back relegations in the face...:green

I guess the fans of those teams aren't staring back to back relegations in the face...:green
I suppose that may be the reason for the increased anger but last season's disaster was hardly Caldwell's fault.
Anyway, just an observation.

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

I suppose that may be the reason for the increased anger but last season's disaster was hardly Caldwell's fault.
Anyway, just an observation.

No, there's certainly little confidence in his ability to even move us up one place in the leg by season's end. I hope he proved us all wrong but I'm not holding my breath...

18 minutes ago, Walter said:

Improve?

He's been unable to maintain the average level of performance. We are performing worse than before.

As I said on Twitter. If Caldwell had cone in and maintained the same level of results with a couple extra points here and there, we'd most likely be 4th. Sitting at the top of the mini league that's took shape in the Championship.

Tasked with steadying the ship to push into the top 4, he has made us worse than we were. 

25 minutes ago, Walter said:

We're not great but it's not correct to say McKinnon hasn't improved our performances. We have been competitive in most games - under Hartley we looked like we could've lost 5-0 every game. McKinnon has managed to get the worst full time squad ever assembled at this level into a position where we can realistically stay up.

I have more faith in your squad but more faith in our manager.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Let’s look at that claim in a bit more depth......

Falkirk pre-McKinnon 3 league games 0 points = 0 PPM 

Falkirk post-McKinnon 16 league games 13 points = 0.81 PPM 

St Mirren pre-Kearney 4 league games 3 points = 0.75 PPM 

St Mirren post-Kearney 17 league games 9 points = 0.53 PPM 

Dundee pre-McIntyre 8 league games 3 points = 0.375 PPM 

Dundee post-McIntyre 13 league games 7 points = 0.54 PPM 

Thistle pre-Caldwell 9 league games 9 points = 1.00 PPM 

Thistle post-Caldwell 10 league games 5 points = 0.5 PPM 

So GC has the worst record of all 4 bosses, and he has experienced the biggest drop in PPM of all 4. He took over the team in the healthiest position of all (averaging a point a game) but has failed to build on that strength and has taken his team backwards, quite significantly. I’d say that your claim doesn’t stack up.

Edited by ClydebankJag

Can I say as well that this is just a snapshot based on raw numbers. Look deeper and you see that we beat Morton twice pre Caldwell but have lost twice to the same team since he came in. We’ve also had the benefit of playing what were when we played them the two bottom teams in the league 3 times and taken 1 point from 9. Easier games, poorer points return.

Edited by ClydebankJag

In signing Harkins and Hazard, he’s going for players in positions we don’t realistically need to upgrade. Is Hazard instead of Sneddon going to make much difference? Is Harkins instead of Erskine?

By all means bring in a couple of CBs, a RB, a winger and a striker. These would all strengthen the team. I don’t think these do.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

In signing Harkins and Hazard, he’s going for players in positions we don’t realistically need to upgrade. Is Hazard instead of Sneddon going to make much difference? Is Harkins instead of Erskine?

By all means bring in a couple of CBs, a RB, a winger and a striker. These would all strengthen the team. I don’t think these do.

Exactly! Priorities must be at least one central defender (not Scobbie!!!)  in the hope O’Ware might return quicker than anticipated and two strikers. These should have been addressed before the Harkins and anticipated Hazard signings!!

Edited by Sting777

Let’s look at that claim in a bit more depth......

Falkirk pre-McKinnon 3 league games 0 points = 0 PPM 
Falkirk post-McKinnon 16 league games 13 points = 0.81 PPM 

St Mirren pre-Kearney 4 league games 3 points = 0.75 PPM 
St Mirren post-Kearney 17 league games 9 points = 0.53 PPM 

Dundee pre-McIntyre 8 league games 3 points = 0.375 PPM 
Dundee post-McIntyre 13 league games 7 points = 0.54 PPM 

Thistle pre-Caldwell 9 league games 9 points = 1.00 PPM 
Thistle post-Caldwell 10 league games 5 points = 0.5 PPM 

So GC has the worst record of all 4 bosses, and he has experienced the biggest drop in PPM of all 4. He took over the team in the healthiest position of all (averaging a point a game) but has failed to build on that strength and has taken his team backwards, quite significantly. I’d say that your claim doesn’t stack up.
There's some amount of work in that post and it does show that the other three have made their sides a little less shite than before whereas Caldwell has made us a little more.
I wasn't really making any claims as you put it, more thinking aloud.

Can I say as well that this is just a snapshot based on raw numbers. Look deeper and you see that we beat Morton twice pre Caldwell but have lost twice to the same team since he came in. We’ve also had the benefit of playing what were when we played them the two bottom teams in the league 3 times and taken 1 point from 9. Easier games, poorer points return.

Not a fair comparison either on the Morton point.

You beat a Snake McKinnon Morton team in the league Cup, a competition he wilfully decided to write off (even playing a ridiculous experimental team against you with Michael Tidser at fucking left back).

You then beat a Morton team the day after the McKinnon snaking where preparations were all over the place, led by the gubbins development team manager and Head of youth (who changed our shape to accommodate our injured striker which set him back and he hasn't been seen since).

You have since lost twice to Johansson's Morton, a team that has been skelped by Ross County, Ayr, Alloa, Dunfermline - aye OK, any manager that has lost to Johansson's Morton twice should never be allowed to manage again.

Just watched the video of your mangers aspirations and how he targets signings

1 I don't want players who just want to come for the money (Harkins read mercenary)

2 they must have a good character(Harkins has jumped ship the last two clubs when in contract)

Best  of luck with him but he's the biggest cheating non trier ive seen in years when the chips are down

16 hours ago, Nightmare said:

16 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Exactly! Priorities must be at least one central defender (not Scobbie!!!)  in the hope O’Ware might return quicker than anticipated and two strikers. These should have been addressed before the Harkins and anticipated Hazard signings!!

Totally agree. Money will be tight so these signings don’t make much sense to me,other than strengthening the squad if he’s able to move a few on. The manager said we had three scouts down South,but players down there in either lower leagues or non-league are on probably double the money we can offer at least. Then who pays for accommodation up here? Think it’ll be a tough window but hopefully we can pluck a few low cost gems from somewhere.