The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, Reid said:

I’d be surprised if Ayr along with most teams in the league and some in the league above weren’t interested. I would’ve thought Bannigan would stay until the end of the season at least but considering how shite we are he may bolt now.

I was speaking with him at the pub last week and he said he didn't have a clue what was happening, but he'd had offers. Didn't say who, but I think he'll be away.

I don't really get some of the anger I've seen elsewhere about Bannigan leaving. We paid him an apparent pittance while he was injured in the hope he'd come back the same player and now he's played regularly for a few months he'll quite rightly want to earn a better wage so if someone else offers him more than we can or the chance of achieving something then it's fair enough he'll take it.  

If he hadn't got injured when he did it was likely he was off soon enough anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't really get some of the anger I've seen elsewhere about Bannigan leaving. We paid him an apparent pittance while he was injured in the hope he'd come back the same player and now he's played regularly for a few months he'll quite rightly want to earn a better wage so if someone else offers him more than we can or the chance of achieving something then it's fair enough he'll take it.  

If he hadn't got injured when he did it was likely he was off soon enough anyway. 

I know what you mean, and loyalty is pretty rare in football - but we did stand by him and - albeit for selfish motives - pay him throughout a very long injury spell (2 years+ I think) when we had no obligation to do so, presumably including access to facilities and treatment.  For him to finally get back to regular football in his ninth season at Thistle then to piss off after 6 months to Ayr United when we're in a difficult situation would be pretty disappointing.  That said, it would also give us some insight on what he thinks is likely to be achieved under Caldwell...

I could see a few Premiership teams looking at him. Ayr seem pretty settled in midfield so no guarantees of first team games there.

Maybe Gary has lined up a swap deal with Mark Kerr?...:green

I haven't been to a game since Caldwell was appointed - and up until last week's win against Dunfermline, I was in with a chance of never seeing a Thistle team managed by him.

I have nothing against Caldwell and his appointment made a lot of sense on paper but he's quite a difficult guy to like. He doesn't come across very well to me in the media; there's an underlying arrogance that's easy to detect and frankly, I don't see the point in that Daily Record article in the wake of a 2-2 home draw against a part-time outfit, other than to say 'get it up you, I'm no changing' to the support. Maybe I'm being too precious though. I also fail to see why 'unadaptability' is a trait that anyone would want in an employee.

There's a complete delusion at Thistle that has been present long before Caldwell arrived though. It's easy to see why last season went as badly as it did. There was utter incongruousness with the club's ambitions for the season and the quality of the squad. Folk don't buy into that, they become disillusioned. Same goes for this season when there's muppets at the club who believe promotion is viable when we're bottom of the league. It's almost like nobody has learned anything at all from last year - nothing, nada, f*ck all. Same delusional objectives, same complete lack of preparation in recruitment, same shite product on the pitch.

Merry f*cking Christmas.

At this point Bannigan is a decent CM at this level, as opposed to the standout he was in our last promotion season. Ideally he will stay with us, and hopefully he can continue to work back towards the level he was at a couple of years ago, but I think it’s pretty clear that he’s regressed since the injury anyway - imo him & Slater are very similar players, and Slater has been better at the role this season - so I’m not too fussed if he does take a contract elsewhere.

13 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Check out @PartickThistle’s Tweet:

imgur_reaction.gif.d9f7f64d92c749e0a4729c0159a564ea.gif

Is there any point in us fielding a reserve team? There is little or no progression to the first team squad (apart from 1 or 2 from last years development squad). 

From what I have witnessed from their games many of the players seem well out of their depth and their confidence must be hammered on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Big Dan said:

Is there any point in us fielding a reserve team? There is little or no progression to the first team squad (apart from 1 or 2 from last years development squad). 

From what I have witnessed from their games many of the players seem well out of their depth and their confidence must be hammered on a regular basis.

We beat the Aberdeen youths in our previous game. Definitely  some work to be done on the transition between the stiffs and the first team but the 2 or 3 we have isn't bad compared with other sides in the league. Penrice, McCarthy and Fitzpatrick have all done okay. I'd assume Sneddon was signed for the reserves originally too and he has been a bright spot mostly. Callum Wilson can'tbe too far away from some game time soon, especially with Bannigan out of the Morton game and possibly on his way after that anyway.

It would be nice to have a full back or centre back waiting to make the push up right enough..

Edited by jagfox99

21 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I know what you mean, and loyalty is pretty rare in football - but we did stand by him and - albeit for selfish motives - pay him throughout a very long injury spell (2 years+ I think) when we had no obligation to do so, presumably including access to facilities and treatment.  For him to finally get back to regular football in his ninth season at Thistle then to piss off after 6 months to Ayr United when we're in a difficult situation would be pretty disappointing.  That said, it would also give us some insight on what he thinks is likely to be achieved under Caldwell...

The club's injury record speaks for itself, and there might, in any case, be a suspicion that the medical care given by the club at least contributed to an extended period of injury, sicne misdiagnosis was at least partly to blame.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15412346.Stuart_Bannigan_glad_to_be_back_for_Partick_Thistle_after_16_month_injury_nightmare/

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/ptfc-trust-update-december-2018/

Player Recruitment January Window 2019

I know the January window has been a hot topic of interest for supporters so we understand that the manager presented a Recruitment Report and associated costs needed to bring a number of core players to the Club within the January window. Following a detailed discussion, the outcome was that the Board unanimously approved the release of funds, in full, as requested by the manager, to deliver his player recruitment proposal. This is very positive news indeed.

Very positive news, I'm not sure how anyone couldn't have faith in a list of players Caldwell likes that has been approved by Jacqui Low. 

3 hours ago, KelvindaleJag said:

The club's injury record speaks for itself, and there might, in any case, be a suspicion that the medical care given by the club at least contributed to an extended period of injury, sicne misdiagnosis was at least partly to blame.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15412346.Stuart_Bannigan_glad_to_be_back_for_Partick_Thistle_after_16_month_injury_nightmare/

Can’t wait for the expert members of the PTFC Supporters Medical Association to give us the lowdown on how Bannigan’s injury should have been managed differently.

Edited by milhouse

4 hours ago, milhouse said:

Can’t wait for the expert members of the PTFC Supporters Medical Association to give us the lowdown on how Bannigan’s injury should have been managed differently.

Or you could just bother to read Bannigan's own words (in the link): '“It ended up being more than 15 months out because we didn’t know what was happening at the start and wasted four or five months,” he revealed. “The operation could have been done straight away. But it is what it is."'

28 minutes ago, KelvindaleJag said:

Or you could just bother to read Bannigan's own words (in the link): '“It ended up being more than 15 months out because we didn’t know what was happening at the start and wasted four or five months,” he revealed. “The operation could have been done straight away. But it is what it is."'

Is Stuart Bannigan a medical expert as well then?

Edited by milhouse