The Partick Thistle thread

Woods hid for long periods during games, especially when we went behind. The gubbing at Dingwall was a prime example. Plus the fact he was average at best. Another desperate signing. His debut was a 3 minutes appearance from the bench, following which he was out injured for 3 weeks. Another wage thief from last season.

Edited by Midlife Crisis

Martin Woods was a journeyman midfielder - he actually briefly improved our midfield as we were playing Ryan Edwards and Adam Barton(Version II - not an upgrade) there. 

Poor though we were, we were ultimately relegated by one goal so it wouldn't have taken much to stay up - muscle man Abdul Osman not lying down pretending to be injured when Dundee scored their crucial equaliser would have done it.  

Archie's failure to anticipate that the loss of Sean Welsh and the  injury history of Osman, Bannigan & Fraser might leave a gap in midfield or to give young McCarthy more of a chance was culpable . He replicated the error this season in recruiting a barely competent back four with no other options.  Throughout his time, with the exception of Lyle Taylor, his attempts to sign a decent striker as an alternative to Doolan were dismal - Ade Azeez is the worst finisher I have seen in professional football...but he was better than Myles Storey.

There are a lot of positives about Archie's time in charge but he had run his race.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Woods gets a bad rap - he was pretty decent when he was fit (signed as a free agent in October as I recall). With a full pre-season in front of him could indeed have got us that single point that would have saved us.

Watching Craig Slater this season, I can't help thinking he was the missing link in last season's squad.

Agreed Barney about Craig Slater   The boy works his socks off,always available for a pass and has a wee bit of quality on the ball. Him and O'Ware were good signings by Archie,some injuries have hurt the squad but there's no denying O'Wares injury was a massive blow. Our defence is a shambles feel sorry for Penrice who should be getting talked through a game and learning but is actually having to take his own lead. Our defence has undone a lot of promising starts, under Archie and Scott I thought we'd be so hard to score against this season,instead we've gifted goals and that's been theirs and the teams' downfall unfortunately. 

On 07/10/2018 at 11:51, Big Dan said:

A management team of Ian McCall with Lawrence Shankland as his playing/assistant manager would tick a few boxes ;)

Aye, on my prescription.

Given the players we had out in that reserve game today, that result is a fucking shambles, against a bunch of boys.

Hopefully, somehow, this is the end of taking on the hordes of utter shite recommended by agents and pals which have increasingly filled our team and we can also reconsider our recruitment and give it some structure.

Edited by Firhill_Basin