The Partick Thistle thread

The talk of needing four players is not looking at the bigger picture.

We have a reserve squad of five, two of whom were on the bench last Saturday. We have two reserve fixtures coming up this month, away to Hibs and home to Ross Co. So if we are going to fulfill these commitments, at least six of the first team squad (currently sitting at 18 which includes three keepers, one on the transfer list and one still injured), are going to be playing six fixtures before the end of August.

It may be that we don't have to fulfill the commitments to the reserve league without too much financial cost. I haven't a clue and the club web-site seems to be ignoring this.

The squad as it stands (before players from England start beating a path to our door):

Bell (Lennox/Sneddon)

Elliott...O'Ware (Keown)...McGinty...Penrice (Melbourne)

Slater (Storer)...Bannigan (McCarthy/Gordon)

Spittal......Erskine......Storey

Doolan

I haven't listed Fitzpatrick due to him being listed as a reserve on the website. Injured players italicised. My guess is we'll have to rely on loans unless Keown moves on or takes a paycut, with the parent clubs paying the bulk of the loanees' wages.

In short...we're f****d currently.

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Is Keown on £10k a week or something? How are we so far behind in terms of recruitment just because one player is getting paid more than he should? 

That has intrigued me as well. As a guess let's say Niall is on £1500 per week and Thistle want him to reduce to £750- £1000pw . The amount saved would bring in probably one player. Even if we got him off the books it would save  around £70,000. Surely this shouldn't be stopping us getting some players in. I am frankly gobsmacked that we are at Thursday, given the bench we had on Saturday and the poverty of the display, and we haven't brought in one solitary player. Maybe today is the day!!

Not advocating it at all but we didn’t make any cutbacks behind the scenes after relegation did we? Even if we did, I don’t see a handful of office staff salaries equating to players wages. So they can’t even use thet excuse with this cause “competitive” budget bullshit. 

17 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Not advocating it at all but we didn’t make any cutbacks behind the scenes after relegation did we? Even if we did, I don’t see a handful of office staff salaries equating to players wages. So they can’t even use thet excuse with this cause “competitive” budget bullshit. 

I think the club stated after the playoff humiliation that no non-playing staff would lose their jobs, which is great for those involved.

I was listening to the radio last night and I think it was McManus of Motherwell who was saying that the thought of employees losing their jobs was a massive motivation in their playoff final with Rangers.

Made me think had something been announced in-house to the players before our playoff final? Who knows?

I don't think there's a issue as you'd assume the playing budget is set separately. The issue is getting deals over the line.

The club have seemingly worked hard in getting new sponsorship deals in place but player recruitment is a massive issue and I don't think the blame for that can just fall at the manager's door.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

The club have seemingly worked hard in getting new sponsorship deals in place but player recruitment is a massive issue and I don't think the blame for that can just fall at the manager's door.

Well, it does seem to have been a week chock-full of fantastically worthy but dull news from the club on business and the fans' trust (not sure which one) developments. Not a week for stories of fiery recruits eager to put Falkirk to the sword. Ho fucking hum part II.