The Partick Thistle thread

I agree. I highly doubt Shankland would want to move whilst settled and loving his football to a club in the same division. If we were still a top tier club I’d understand the potential move but I just don’t see it.

On another note, I think we lack some real guile and leadership. A couple of bodies who can get the team in line if we need to get dirty and grind out a result. Doolan, Erskine and Elliott whilst tenured with the club and three of our best players I’ve never seen them as strong leaders on the field in this type of manner. I think we lack a defender and midfielder who can get stuck in and grab game by the scruff of the neck. The team we had under Lambie that went back to back promotions was filled with journeymen with some real guile. Danny Lennon and Martin Hardie both spring to mind as examples.

I am not a huge fan of Paton but in our last promotion year I’d bet he was that type. Look around the squad. Young, unproven but they’ve got talent. But all top teams in their leagues have 2-3 big characters and leaders in the team. I am not convinced we have that in our team.

If I was Archie I’d be looking to add that experience to my side ASAP.

My head is burst after that wet fart of a performance then jamming it through just to set up a sore arse in our own back room.  Can we please stop talking about Paul Paton ffs? 

That ‘type’ of player is what we need. Not necessarily him as he’s a dick but It’s an opinion and a very valid one.

As for Willo Flood I don’t think he’s the answer either as he’s past it and a head banger but a couple of players with some grit and experience is what we probably lack and why we seem to have good spells in games but don’t see out a full consistent 90 mins with teams pinning us back or finding out in areas we’re inexperienced. We also have 6-7 new players in the first XI which doesn’t help so we have to take that into consideration also.

I’m concerned about the goalkeeper.
As Bell looks like he may be a bomb scare. Lennox doesn’t look better and Sneddon whilst young, seems the best out of the three.

We’ve lots to learn about these new players. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

My head is burst after that wet fart of a performance then jamming it through just to set up a sore arse in our own back room.  Can we please stop talking about Paul Paton ffs? 

The Lawless chat is far more tedious.

It's arguable that that "couple of players with grit and experience" were in last season's squad, in the form of Osman and Dumbuya, but (for whatever reason) obviously Archie didn't get them to contribute as we'd have wished. :-(

IMHO the perfect example of a real leader on the park was Scott "Boab" McCulloch, who IIRC was also the last part-timer in the first team. Do players in general become stale by concentrating on football all the time?

16 minutes ago, Cmac1869 said:

Partick are a bigger club than Ayr so would be the step up he needs to further his career. 

Stay off the drugs, newbie. :rolleyes:;)

Partick are a bigger club than Ayr so would be the step up he needs to further his career. 

Settle down and think it through.

Partick are a club in the same division as Ayr and if anything was learnt on Saturday it’s that there isn’t much difference in quality between the two clubs. You might be a bigger club but it’s not as if he’d be taking a step up by moving to Partick.

I’d say there is next to no chance of him leaving us in this window and I’d be surprised if he left in January. Teams might be interested but there’s no way McCall will let him go and I doubt he’d leave a team where atm he’s worshipped and playing well.

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Partick are a club in the same division as Ayr and if anything was learnt on Saturday it’s that there isn’t much difference in quality between the two clubs. You might be a bigger club but it’s not as if he’d be taking a step up by moving to Partick.

I’d say there is next to no chance of him leaving us in this window and I’d be surprised if he left in January. Teams might be interested but there’s no way McCall will let him go and I doubt he’d leave a team where atm he’s worshipped and playing well.

He's defo not one of us m9. 

I think the Shankland patter is a pish wind up btw. This hilarious new start a rumour a half decent player is signing for someone patter to get people biting. Funny. 

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The only likelihood he would be away would be if he has a certain bid fee in his contract. somethign along the lines of if a club is willing to pay £70,000 then he is free to talk to the club.  It may be somethign his agent insited on when he signed a new deal with Ayr United - no idea whether he has or not.  WIth Liam Lindsay for instance everyone at Firhill clearly wanted to keep him and he had 2 years on his deal, but I had heard there was a clause in his contract meaning that if a club came in for him with such and such an offer then he is free to talk to them.  Might not be the case with Ayr United though