The Partick Thistle thread

Played well in the first half but were absolutely shocking in the second half. Unlikely we will see a better hit shot than Jack Storers all season. Wonderful strike. He looked very good. Thought Elliot, Slater, Spittal, Gordon, Doolan were really poor. Penrice, O'Ware and McGinty got pass marks. Storey played well when he came on as did McCarthy. Bell had nothing to do other than the goal and Erskine was the normal Erskine. Some good some bad. It was a typical Thistle second half performance, getting hemmed in with no out ball other than Storey. Still, a win is a win but big improvements needed. Morton looked a fitter team than us and that's a disappointment!

Edited by Sting777

My thoughts on the Morton game:

• I'm not overly impressed with Bell. Had f**k all to do and even if he was unsighted, i'd expect most keepers to save that Morton goal, also didn't think his kicking was that good.
  • Highly doubt McGinty will play at a higher level than this, was a bit of a hoof merchant
  • O'Ware had a good game, was unlucky to hit the post (then its a different game at 3-0)
  • Slater is very tidy on the ball..BUT ball winning DM he is not.
  • Storer will be provide flashes of brilliance and frustrate the rest of the time this season - Can'twait to see his goal on highlights and pretty sure it was his weaker foot
  • Gordon did nothing and I'm surprised it wasn't him that got hooked for McCarthy
  • Didn't get out of 2nd gear in the 1st half, then served up insipid pish the majority of the 2nd half
  • Despite being surrounded by shite, Chris Millar was arguably the best player on the park tonight and controlled the 2nd half.

Squad-wise: We have a huge enforcer shaped hole in that team. No width, espically is Archie persists to play players in inverted positions. We have zero cover at CB if Keown isn't getting used.

We definitely need another out and out  striker in the squad and a hard as nails ball winner in the middle of the park. Striker wise someone like Wright at Aberdeen or Shaw at Hibs would be great on loan though it's highly unlikely we could tempt  them. 

Edited by Sting777

Bell should have probably saved that shot.

Elliot got up and down the pitch well but his crossing is pish. 

O’Ware was really good tonight  and dont remember him losing a header. 

McGinty is good in the air but is a bit of a bomb scare in possession. 

Penrice was good in the first half then seemed hesitant to get too far up the park in the second.

Slater and Gordon. Struggled Keeping the ball in the middle of the park a lot of misplaced passes.  Think they are too similar to rely on them to be our first choice central pairing. Could do with a bit of experience in there that can help keep possession.

Erskine was his usual self and if anything tries too hard sometimes.

Storer showed some great flashes of being a really good link up player. His goal was one of the best I’ve seen at firhill recently.

Spittal actually thought he played better when he was moved to the left of our attacking 3. 

Doolan didn’t really have much impact on the game at all.

Storey looks like he has a point to prove and I’m disappointed he didn’t get put through the middle. I’d actually keep him.

Mcarthy looked good when he came on and hope he’s fit enough to start soon. 

Good win but lucky to hold on as we done our usual thing getting deeper, deeper and deeper.

Im assuming Banzos fucked ? 

37 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

My thoughts on the Morton game:

• I'm not overly impressed with Bell. Had f**k all to do and even if he was unsighted, i'd expect most keepers to save that Morton goal, also didn't think his kicking was that good.
  • Highly doubt McGinty will play at a higher level than this, was a bit of a hoof merchant
  • O'Ware had a good game, was unlucky to hit the post (then its a different game at 3-0)
  • Slater is very tidy on the ball..BUT ball winning DM he is not.
  • Storer will be provide flashes of brilliance and frustrate the rest of the time this season - Can'twait to see his goal on highlights and pretty sure it was his weaker foot
  • Gordon did nothing and I'm surprised it wasn't him that got hooked for McCarthy
  • Didn't get out of 2nd gear in the 1st half, then served up insipid pish the majority of the 2nd half
  • Despite being surrounded by shite, Chris Millar was arguably the best player on the park tonight and controlled the 2nd half.

Squad-wise: We have a huge enforcer shaped hole in that team. No width, espically is Archie persists to play players in inverted positions. We have zero cover at CB if Keown isn't getting used.

Agree with pretty much everything there apart from some bits about Bell, didn't think he had any chance with the goal and had a couple of decent stops, nothing earth-shattering. Kicking seems Cerny-esque distance wise though.

Archie's Jagszone post match interview mentioned a few times that they're onto Penrice about improving his fitness- I wonder if that's part of the reason he disappeared last year. He was good in the first half but (much like everyone else tbf) fell right out of it in the second.

The second half was total rubbish, predictable. We looked off the pace. as we have done in the second half of games forever. Midfield as lightweight as I feared. McGinty is a big haddie, slow as a week in jail. Would be nice if Christie Elliott was ever able to successfully cross a ball.  Doolan had one of those games where he was completely anonymous.

Peach of a strike from Storer, who looked hit and miss. Some great touches and the goal to then missing the ball completely at times and then lunging at oppositon players. 

Thoughts after watching the team tonight (and Saturday) -

Cigars out first half, abysmal second half tonight. Storer’s goal was a thing of beauty. McGinty is going to be this seasons blame merchant. Bell looks like he needs to shed a few pounds before the season starts. We are desperately short of any depth and need an injection of pace into the team. Penrice will be ten times the player he is now by next May with a full season behind him playing every week. Slater and Gordon are too similar play in the same team (and I would prefer Slater).

That game had a real feel of last season about it.

Starting well (this time fortunately getting off a 2-goal head start for a change, including a fucking howitzer from Storer), before dropping deeper and deeper in the second half, letting the opposition get right back into it. The lack of concern over what was going on/inability to stop the one way traffic has the alarm bells ringing already.

I'm possibly being dramatic. It's very early in season, and a win is all that really should matter at this stage, especially considering we're still really short. But still. That felt awfully familiar.

His corners were quality on his debut at Tannadice a couple of seasons back. I remember we were all in shock at Thistle looking so dangerous from corners given that we had spent the full season watching Sean Welsh floaters.

Came out of Firhill pretty down after that unfortunately

Storer's goal was perhaps the best I've ever seen at Firhill but apart from that, and his ludicrous control on the touchline, I thought he gave away possession a lot, let people float by him easily and lunged into some stupid tackles.

I thought Slater strolled the first half and looked an improvement on what we had last year but completely fell away in the second. Gordon was practically annonymous.

O'Ware was decent but prone to some unnecessary long balls to noone. McGinty however really worried me; looked slow and useless with the ball at the feet

Still early days and a win's and win.

I can see Archibald moving for a holding  midfielder who has experience of the division. They’d have to be available on a free though. I can’t really think of anyone right now that fits the bill...

Spoiler

984C1789-791D-4265-90C0-0C9B14159987.jpeg.1d5cf2aee7d420c300791e38a7418cd5.jpeg