The Partick Thistle thread

Remember seeing earlier in the season that some of you boys would take Canning as your manager? 

Mental that you would want a shitebag that is bullied by the players instead of a hard c**t in Alan Archibald. 

Would swap Canning for Archibald in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Im_Rodger

On what grounds was sacking McIntyre the right decision. It didn’t improve their position and probably just cost them money.
How many managers did Killie and Well have to go through to get to safety this season. The guys that took them to the playoffs hadn’t had success previously, I don’t think.
It is a huge risk for Thistle either way. But if we do it should be for more than a cup run and a win against Rangers and Celtic

Because he was doing a shite job. The fact the guy that replaced him also did a shite job doesn’t change that.

Previous success is no guarantee of later success. Stuart McCall at Motherwell had come 2nd a few times, then made a complete arse of it and had them destined for the playoffs when he left. McIntyre won the league cup for County, but was still a shambles by the time he left.

What do you mean more than a cup run? What more is there for a club like Thistle? Winning a cup would shite all over top league mediocrity for me, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

Correct. Ade Azeez arrived on a free and we got money from Cambridge United.

If Archibald was in any way involved in this particular transaction I’d give him a 25 year contract based on that alone.

20 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Remember seeing earlier in the season that some of you boys would take Canning as your manager? 

Mental that you would want a shitebag that is bullied by the players instead of a hard c**t in Alan Archibald. 

It's always revision season in Partick Thistle land.  Quite a few were shouting for Coyle too.  

The choice isn’t top league mediocrity vs a cup win. It is the choice between Championship vs a cup win.
And I don’t think we had any decent cup runs when we were down there

We lost a QF replay to Rangers in 07/08.

Other than that we usually won a game then got papped.

The choice isn’t top league mediocrity vs a cup win. It is the choice between Championship vs a cup win.
And I don’t think we had any decent cup runs when we were down there

I’d take years of seaside league shite for the Scottish cup to be honest.

This is all just distracting from the fact that Archibald is, currently, doing an atrocious job, and should be punted. Even if we end up appointing some absolute diddy like John Hughes or Gary Locke. Although, to be honest it’ll be whoever happens to be the most senior/oldest player at the time. Doolan or Erskine probably. Maybe Martin Woods, he’s getting on a bit.

Is that the preference then ?
A cup quarter final/semi final every 5 to 10 years combined with championship football.
And here’s me getting pelters for having a loser attitude. Ha.

Nobody said that.

Plenty (myself included) would take a few years in the lower leagues with a cup WIN.

I’ve spent most of Thistle supporting years watching us in the 2nd tier.

If we go down this season I’ll be disappointed at the time then turn up as usual at the start of next season.

Nobody said that.

Plenty (myself included) would take a few years in the lower leagues with a cup WIN.

I’ve spent most of Thistle supporting years watching us in the 2nd tier.

If we go down this season I’ll be disappointed at the time then turn up as usual at the start of next season.

Nobody said what ?

50 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

They were surely at the wind up? 

Archie isn't hard on players, if he was I think things would be a lot different in these last few games. 

From the top flight - we're never ever eeever going to finish 1st apart from maybe on computer games. 2nd - 4th and the fun of Europe is extraordinarily unlikely barring an absolute miracle season, but it can be done (for an extreme example Motherwell have managed 2nd and, while I'd say they are bigger than us and there were other mitigating circumstances with Rangers' liquidation, I wouldn't say they were exponentially so). It's reasonable to say that it is unfair and unrealistic to expect to finish in those placings ahead of names like Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen though. We've already shown that we can finish 6th, however.

Perhaps points targets rather than actual placings would be a bit fairer, but I can't really be bothered checking the last few years standings. Another time, maybe.

If we're in the 2nd tier the aim almost naturally flows to getting promotion (which seems reasonable enough, and pretty much everyone among the staff, fans and players make noises to that effect, on here or to the media or to whomever). Cup competitions in the 2nd tier or below are then pretty much judged on how much income they generate to make up for not being in the top tier.

So surely the whole point of us being in the top flight is that it should, in theory, give us the chance to build a squad capable of competing for the League/Scottish cup AND keep us in the top flight, maybe dishing out the odd bloody nose or two to the bigger boys? I mean from personal experience supporting Thistle usually involves just taking each match or, at most, season on its own merits rather than having any overarching dreams for the club, and there are certain games which stick out over the years that I'm particularly glad I got to see... but it nonetheless sticks a bit in the craw to watch other clubs over the years - and not always clubs *that* much better supported than Thistle therefore not exactly megabucks when compared to us, either - put in heroic performances to beat the bigger names domestically, or get to at least experience the odd trip abroad to watch their team, or get to major domestic cup finals...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Is that the preference then ?
A cup quarter final/semi final every 5 to 10 years combined with championship football.
And here’s me getting pelters for having a loser attitude. Ha.

That’s not what anyone is saying. We all want to stay in the premiership. We’re saying why can’t we also get a bloody cup run from time to time. It’s non existent. If your a club that is jumping between leagues your only euphoric moment may be winning a cup like many clubs our size have done this past decade.

Ffs what does being in the championship have to do with it? Archie will always be looking over his shoulder at relegation with a club like us but it’s not unrealistic to want a semi final with the chance of a day in the sun competing for a trophy once every 10-15 years. We haven’t been in a final since we won the league cup on 71. The challenge cup against QoS doesn’t count btw.

I’m not sure why you think we have to have one or other. We’ve made a top six, we’re now fighting to stay in league. In 5 years we’ve really not improved and have no cup finals or wins v our city rivals to show for it. Why can’t we have all of this? The other clubs have all tasted it.

6 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Although, to be honest it’ll be whoever happens to be the most senior/oldest player at the time. Doolan or Erskine probably. Maybe Martin Woods, he’s getting on a bit.

In some seriousness, is there anyone in the squad who would be comfortable as caretaker-manager? Perhaps if we'd given Sean Welsh another six-month contract.

That’s not what anyone is saying. We all want to stay in the premiership. We’re saying why can’t we also get a bloody cup run from time to time. It’s non existent. If your a club that is jumping between leagues your only euphoric moment may be winning a cup like many clubs our size have done this past decade.

Ffs what does being in the championship have to do with it? Archie will always be looking over his shoulder at relegation with a club like us but it’s not unrealistic to want a semi final with the chance of a day in the sun competing for a trophy once every 10-15 years. We haven’t been in a final since we won the league cup on 71. The challenge cup against QoS doesn’t count btw.

I’m not sure why you think we have to have one or other. We’ve made a top six, we’re now fighting to stay in league. In 5 years we’ve really not improved and have no cup finals or wins v our city rivals to show for it. Why can’t we have all of this? The other clubs have all tasted it.

In the last few weeks there have been people complaining that we can’t compete for top 6 to at least 2 people in the previous page who would be happy in a lower league as long as we beat the old firm and a cup semi/final.

That is some reassessing of aspirations.

What the championship has to do with it is that who we win our points against can have a bigger effect on our league position. It is more important to win the points vs our nearest rivals.

I don’t understand how you can say we haven’t improved in the sentence after you point out we made top 6. We can’t expect to continually improve and inevitably we will have setbacks.

I would rather we stayed in the league and if that means no cup success or wins vs the top teams that’s ok with me.

If we are a club to yoyoing between league, I am pretty sure euphoria comes when you get promoted. Don’t you remember the games vs Morton and at Falkirk ?

If we had a DVD of our five years in the SPL, you'd have the Hearts match and not much else. No wins over the Old firm, no Metz, no Hampden or anything from the cups. Steve Clarke has given Killie fans more memories in months than Archie given us in the last five years. If these are glory years, God help us. We haven't done anything Hamilton hasn't achieved over the piece. We've had Archie in/out debates every season because it's largely been a slog under him with a few wee good bursts here and there. The football has been consistently dreadful now for over a year and Archie will leave little legacy in terms a squad for the next manager. His legacy might be to leave us in a worst place than he found us in. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin