The Partick Thistle thread

The post match interview is saying Archie feels he’s a step closer to finding the right team to go with for the rest of the season. Well that’s a fucking relief to hear with the season nearly over. Not sure how I’d feel with him staying if we went down, I reckon he’d do fine again but if we were promoted we’d be coming up to an equally, if not more, difficult League that he’s made a complete c**t of this season.

3 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Given Ian Maxwell's role in blackmailing my club out of Hampden, I look forward to your relegation and financial struggles.

Your irelevent ,like your club

I came on here to moan about Archibald and say he should get to f**k but it's good to know we're shafting wee teams like Queen's Park without even realising it.

At least as we go down we can sleep easy knowing we're partially responsible for diddy teams like Queen's Park going down to the level they deserve to be at which is probably the southside Sunday pub 2nd division. You're welcome.

There's the odd tinge of guilt I'm getting at wanting Archibald to go. There's that little, tiny bit of hope that, maybe, just maybe, if he stays no matter whatever happens post split he'll be able to

i) should he manage the side to safety, put together a side for next season that can get a far better points return from the fixtures against the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen than he's managed in the last few years + get the side to a meaningful Hampden cup final, (hell, maybe even winning a League Cup/Scottish Cup, why not go mental with it)

ii) if we do go down, put together a side that skooshes it back into the top flight first time of asking and then does i) for the following season

I do still want him to do succeed with Thistle, but the bottom line is I want Thistle to succeed more, and ultimately even despite that wee fleck of hope above I'd say I'm about 90% certain at this point that means him and Paterson have to go. We've been pish/switched off since pretty much as far back as the post split fixtures last season, and the alarm bells were definitely ringing just 11 games into this season.  Probably earlier than that - I certainly remember being disconcerted at the defending in the Aberdeen game.

It's a pretty common notion that sticking with an underperforming manager is the "decent thing to do" and it'll be rewarded more often than switching manager will... but at the end of the day it can get pretty hard to justify putting the time and money into watching a team that just reward you with shitty performances and heartbreak almost constantly, and have done for close to 12 months now.

I also wonder how to apportion exactly how much this catastrofuck of a season has been from certain players failing to perform vs. stuff the manager is directly responsible for. There have been some absolutely stinking individual errors, particularly at the back - Barton's lame challenges against Motherwell + Celtic + County recently; Cargill against Hearts; Keown against Killie, to name a few. Certainly though, there's a fair chunk that's directly Archie's fault (springing to mind are playing Sammon as a wide midfielder a few times + the Barton/Edwards central midfield fiasco that led to teams running straight through midfield and getting at our defence + keeping certain players around under contract for way, way too long. Here's looking at you David Wilson, Sean Welsh, Gary Fraser, Mustapha Dumtumbo etc. etc.)

Whatever it is, it certainly looks like a lot of them are just going through the motions at this point, right down to the managers press interactions :(.

I thought the board made the right call publicly backing him in October and after the good wee mini-run in December it  looked like the team had enough to turn it around, but it looks increasingly like it was the wrong choice.  If the powers that be (and Archie himself, of course) decide he's still the best man to manage the team then I hope I'm proven wrong, I really do; but sadly I think the writing's on the wall for him and us.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Given Ian Maxwell's role in blackmailing my club out of Hampden, I look forward to your relegation and financial struggles.

Looking for pity when your club acts righteous over "amateur status" while paying staff far below the minimum wage, and players huge bonuses tax free.

Poor wee club.

5 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

One of the few delights of being a Thistle fan, is experiencing the absolute seethe from fans of diddy, no-mark west coast clubs like Hamilton, Morton, Clyde, Airdrie and St Mirren.

But Queens Park? :lol:

Things must be bad when they're actually jealous of Partick. 

The final straw for me was his post match Radio interview when he said that falling one point behind Ross County did not really matter because of their superior goal difference !!!! Has he totally lost the plot ?? What if we had got a point and remained behind on goal difference then picked up one more point than them during the final five games, they would go down, proof that his post match babbling has reached a new level of desperation and refusal to admit he has no idea what to do or rectify the situation. Thanks for the good times and farewell Alan and Scott.

This thread is a replica of our's the year we got relegated one of the sad facts is we both live in the shadow of the old firm. We have already sold out the home end with our match with Morton in two weeks time. Where are these fans if only they would come along regular it would make a huge difference to the budget. Unfortunately they will drift away Saints and Thistle will always be a up and down team until the premiership is larger there are some decent sized clubs in the championship that would bring something to the premiership if it was extended. Good luck with the battle would like us both to be in the same league as I would Morton also its healthy for our gates. 

1 hour ago, CommonSense said:

It shows the difference between Ross Jack and Archibald, we spanked St Mirren 5-0 in the league cup at the start of the season, but your manager was able to change things when they were going wrong

It's a completely different team mate by 6 players. 

It shows the difference between Ross Jack and Archibald, we spanked St Mirren 5-0 in the league cup at the start of the season, but your manager was able to change things when they were going wrong

*Jack Ross

I’m fine with hanging on to Archie and the management team for another season whether we get relegated or not. I don’t think changing the gaffer will necessarily give us a better outlook for next year. Archie has to be learning from this experience and seeing that several of the players he has have to be moved on starting with “Mr Itsnoteasy” who’s heads been gone this season.

I go back to looking at Sean Dyche at Burnley. He went down with them, board stuck by him, and he’s back and stronger in the top flight. Maybe that’s worth a shot?