The Partick Thistle thread

With our three rivals unlikely to pick up many points in their final games before the split and with us having a free week next weekend, this really is the perfect window of opportunity for us to act.

Ian Maxwell said in September that he wouldn’t wait forever for our fortunes to change, so I’m sure he’s on the case. 

keeping Archibald at this point and giving him the task of scraping survival this season along with responsibility of rebuilding the side (which is necessary whatever league we're in next season, although would be significantly more challenging in the 2nd tier due to weaker finances) is, at this point, every bit as much a gamble as punting him and seeing who applies.

Worst case scenario is that we lose all our remaining games (not outwith the realms of possibility) and go down automatically, in which case the question is whether he can be trusted to win the 2nd tier next season. He's done it before, but he's a soft touch when it comes to shunting out players that haven't performed or have unreliable injury records.

Best case is we win enough of our remaining games and results go our way post-split in such a way that we finish 10th or above. Not impossible, but very unlikely. In which case we need to remove and replace the likes of Erskine, Osman and others that just haven't performed.

I'd also say with a fair degree of confidence that in his managerial career he will never ever ever eeeeeever i) beat Rangers* or Celtic as a manager and ii) win any trophy greater than a lower league title or Challenge Cup.

I'm sure there was a fluff piece when McNamara left which claimed there were 50+ applicants for the job while we were in the First Division, some from overseas. There'd be duds that will apply, sure, but then there might be some competent, common-sense managers there too.

Would love to see a grafting, nasty, horrible-to-play-against Thistle side for a change tbh. Sorta like Motherwell in the 1st half against Rangers* recently, or Motherwell in the cup game where they smacked them about.

edit: quite like the way the Thistle site helps me with the Denial stage of grief btw

blob.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Having left work at 1.30pm yesterday to go up and witness that, must rank with one of the worst decisions I have ever made. That display stank of the manager having lost the dressing room. Not making any excuses for Archie, I think he has ran his course at the club, but the players need to have a long hard look at themselves. They were a disgrace. Connor Sammon is the only one that showed any effort.  As for Scully, just why is he still at the club? He was to blame for the first two goals. He went down in instalments for the first goal and the second was a joke. We won't change manager now, unless of course he chucks it. We need a clear out of players at the end of the season and a new management team. Calls for Craigan and Neilson are good shouts. Would take either of them. 

2 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Jackie Mac Namarra is a good fit emoji106.png

I'd echo the thoughts above that he's probably insane enough to apply, and would try to snake his way back in with fluff pieces to the media about "unfinished business" with the club.

Of course he'd leave out the parts where he'd be sure to include a clause in his contract entitling him to a significant % of any transfer revenue, or a clause allowing him to f**k off with no compensation due to the club etc.

I have a weird feeling Ian Cathro will apply if the job becomes available, because i) we've given Archie so much time that he'd like the sort of patience and leeway which he didn't get at Hearts, ii) we don't have any meaningful high-profile derby games that he'd come under scrutiny for, and iii) if we're in the 2nd tier there'd be a bit less media scrutiny over every poor result.

Not a hanging offence, but Penrice tweeting about the Juve vs Madrid game while we were 3-0 down doesn't suggest much squad unity if we needed further proof. 

I'm really ambivalent about whether we should change now or wait and see, I've previously said he's earned the right to see out the season and I'm not sure we'll stay up even with a change but on the other hand last night had a "this is terminal" vibe about it, much like the 3-1 defeat at Palmerston in 2005. 

My worry is if / when we go down what happens off the field (Maxwell is probably away regardless tbh) and we discover how many holes the Weirs have been plugging. The academy will have to start producing more players who are capable of playing in the first team at championship level (or above) to justify continuing funding. So far you could say Penrice and probably Mccarthy fit that bill, the guys on loan in league 2 im not so sure about.  I'm also assuming the training ground was costed on us being a top division club. 

1 hour ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

Stevo Presley LMAO, remember he "saved" falkirk

To be fair, he was a Ryan Flynn sitter away from doing it.

If only the Matalan Mancini had his sleeves rolled up an inch higher it might have gone under the bar - and then in that parallel universe he might be the Scotland manager now.  SSC would be going to Baku with Falkirk next season in the Europa League final, we'd be kicking our heels in the seaside leagues - and Aberdeen still wouldn't have beaten Celtic.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Canny see you winning much of that, hope you win at Dens though. 

Along with the routine away win at McDiarmid farm park we might be in with a shout...

I haven't seen to many games this year so not got a great insight on my part. What I personally think is Archie has set the team out to not lose a lot of the time and unfortunately this team does not have that in them. I feel his thinking was to try and stop leaking goals would help us push up the league, however wether it be injuries or wrong formation he has just called it all wrong. He has been overly negative which has also made a sacrifice to our relatively free flowing football we have played over the last few years.

He is still relatively inexperienced as a manager and I feel he has just lost his way and cannot make a positive decision as to how he turns it round (maybe a more experienced number two would have helped), hence all the chopping and changing. He should have in my opinion went down the tried and trusted rout of using Lawless, Erskine, Doolan, Elliot and Booth when fit to form a decent understanding. I get the criticism of Erskine recently but I think it is more down to confidence than anything else. Sammon has stepped up massively in the goals front but I don't see him doing the defensive harrying that Doolan offers. I also haven't seen Osman since he has been back other than the Motherwell game and I didn't think he had a bad game that day. If you keep chopping and changing the side then sadly these erratic performance will continue as no one is really sure of what they need to do and how to cover the other players due to no one having an understanding of each other's style of play. 

Just my my two cents worth and as I say not seen a lot this season.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

When Saints actually need to win, they do. That's the difference Jagfox, that's the difference. 

Exactly, you have nothing to play for...

The goals are all absolutely terrible to lose, but Barton at the 3rd and 4th County goals... f**k me. Got me frothing at the mouth with rage about as much as I did with his pussyfoot tackles against Motherwell (can't remember who, fucking skinned rotten though) and Celtic (Griffiths)

Edwards was trying at the first goal at least. More than can be said for Osman.

Scully flapping at the 2nd.

Not one Thistle chance deemed worthy of being shown in the beeb highlights.

Omnishambles.