The Partick Thistle thread

I was thinking earlier about who might go and what we might be looking for in January window, too soon to plan for next season when we don't know what league we're going to be in.

Fraser is out of contract after the Ross County game, he's only got 5 games left to impress and he's done very little in the games I've seen since he came back, he was actively rotten on Wednesday. Nitriansky seems a total bust, the fact we went out and signed McGinn 3 weeks later suggests we know we got that one wrong, bit like we did with Gary Miller and Dumbuya 2 years ago, although Miller ended up OK as centre half cover. At the moment if everyone was (somehow) fit he'd be our 4th choice right back and 5th choice centre half. 

Speaking of Muzzy, Loads of people online seem to have heard he is away in January- it seems a bit strange we're waiting for the window to open if that's the case rather than announce a severance deal now. So we could have 3 places in the squad freed up, although Penrice will surely stay this time.

This is the team we already have for next year, relegation break clauses notwithstanding

Cerny

Elliott Keown Barton <blank>

Spittal McCarthy Edwards Erskine

Storey Doolan

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Keep : booth, devine, Penrice, osman, bannigan
Not fussed: McGinn, turnbull, lawless
Bin the rest

That’s the exact 8 I personally had down as definitely keep 8)

The rest I’m not bothered about, only keep Fraser if a low wage as we’re being screwed for lack of viable DMF/CM options atm. We can’t afford charity contracts. 

ETA. When does Wood’s contract end?

Edited by cilitbang

15 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I was thinking earlier about who might go and what we might be looking for in January window, too soon to plan for next season when we don't know what league we're going to be in.

Fraser is out of contract after the Ross County game, he's only got 5 games left to impress and he's done very little in the games I've seen since he came back, he was actively rotten on Wednesday. Nitriansky seems a total bust, the fact we went out and signed McGinn 3 weeks later suggests we know we got that one wrong, bit like we did with Gary Miller and Dumbuya 2 years ago, although Miller ended up OK as centre half cover. At the moment if everyone was (somehow) fit he'd be our 4th choice right back and 5th choice centre half. 

Speaking of Muzzy, Loads of people online seem to have heard he is away in January- it seems a bit strange we're waiting for the window to open if that's the case rather than announce a severance deal now. So we could have 3 places in the squad freed up, although Penrice will surely stay this time.

This is the team we already have for next year, relegation break clauses notwithstanding

Cerny

Elliott Keown Barton <blank>

Spittal McCarthy Edwards Erskine

Storey Doolan

If we go down, can't imagine many of these would realistically stay with us. Elliott, Erskine, Doolan, probably. Young boys like McCarthy and (assuming we get him signed up) Penrice surely as well. But can't imagine (m)any of the rest sticking it out.

Whether or not certain ones would be a particularly big loss is another story.

Keep: Booth, Devine, Lawless, McGinn, Osman, Penrice and Woods.

Not fussed: Fraser, Bannigan. Would love to keep the latter if he can get himself back to the levels of two years ago................but it's been two years.........................

GTF: Dumbuya - there's a story not out in the open there, and it's high time it was.

Loan players: Sammon, Turnbull - Depends on how they play for the rest of the season, and where we end up, so jury is open to being convinced. They haven't disgraced themselves to date.

Nitriansky hasn't really had chance, so let's see how he gets on when Turnbull is suspended next week.

Would definitely keep hold of Osman and Lawless. Booth, McGinn and Devine all solid players that I would keep. Bannigan is a terrific player but has barely kicked a ball in years now, same with Fraser who I assume is gone tbh.

Turnbull has been a great signing (although his form has dipped along with the team) and would love to get him permanently. Sammon has been far better than I thought he would be although could do with scoring more, not sure about him yet. 

Dumbuya is probably gone, good player but he's another one who barely plays.

Totally different player so you can't compare. Would keep McLaughlin before Nisbet

The point is that performances in the development league matter little with regards to whether they’re good enough for our first team. If he does well at Stirling then maybe, but loads of players look great at development level but are nowhere near the required standard.

And “better than Kevin Nisbet” is hardly an endorsement of his talents.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

I also don’t see Lawless improving. Wouldn’t mind using him in a swap for someone like The Hippo at Falkirk.

Muzzy played 30 in 18 months, 9 of which last season but none at all since last April.

Lawless is a conundrum - in my view we are less fluent when he is out of the midfield. He's not flashy or spectacular, but he does a lot of muddy work that doesn't get appreciated by many fans.

Even at home to Dundee this season, where he was dumped on to play LWB, he stuck at it manfully in the face of great adversity and was my MoM that day. He might be rotten on Twitter, but I wouldn't be in hurry to see him go. 

On 12/12/2017 at 06:08, AFCDannyFTH said:

From an outsider looking in, watching Saturday's highlights showed that your players are definitely still playing for your manager.

It may have been a big game, but in those conditions and on that pitch, luck is always going to come into it and with the goals you conceded, it was pretty clear that the luck went in Killie's favour!

Had you been a bit more fortunate with your chances, the result would've been a fair bit different! 

Keep your heads up, and don't go down. Please. I'd much rather see the back of Killie or Hamilton, who have both been stinking up the league for years, regardless of how many fannies think Steve Clarke is the messiah. Get those plastic pitches to f**k.

You're talking utter pish. We were all over thistle.

38 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned keeping Neil McLaughlin. Has a bit to go yet, but have seen him loads of times in the Dev team and that boy knows where the net is!

He's not even been getting in Stirling's starting lineup - at least whenever I've had a look at their games.

Undoubtedly a good player at development level, but much like Nisbet, I'd say he's absolutely miles from being good enough to play for our first team in any kind of serious role.

Time for that to change, mind you. And I'd guess he'd definitely be given a new deal if we do end up going down.

4 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Pre-contract time is soon and was taking a look at the squad list, below is everyone out of contract/loan ends at the end of this season. A few too many important players for my liking but I'm a negative b*****d.

Ryan Scully, Mustapha Dumbuya, Callum Booth, Jordan Turnbull (on loan from Coventry), Daniel Devine, Paul McGinn, Milan Nitriansky, James Penrice, Ross Fleming, Abdul Osman, Stuart Bannigan, Gary Fraser, Steven Lawless, Mark Lamont, Connor Sammon (on loan from Hearts), Kevin Nisbet, Neil McLaughlin

The only player in that list that I'd truly disappointed to lose would be Penrice. 

To be fair, I'd also be keen to see Bannigan offered another deal. Sadly for him, he's missed the boat for his big move and I don't see many teams better than us queuing up for his signature.

We have an option on Booth's contract for another year which I expect we'll take up. I'd say McLaughlin will almost certainly get another year; would be surprised if Fleming didn't too, unless he's regressed this season. Lamont will likely be 50/50 - hasn't had much of a chance at Clyde to impress.

I'd probably hedge our bets with McGinn until we know where we'll be playing - haven't been particularly taken with him but no denying that he was a standout for Dumbarton at Championship level.

I'd be taking our time with Devine. He's a good lad but never too far from some kind of calamity. Would keep if we go down.

Lawless won't struggle to get another Premiership team, I wouldn't have thought. He'll likely do what he has done so in previous years and hold off until the last minute. At present, he's very much dining on previous success though and if we are still in the league, I'd be looking for an upgrade. Fraser has six months to prove he can maintain any semblance of fitness - and even then, there's no guarantee. I predict if Archie is still about though, so will Fraser and especially so if we go down.

As much as I sincerely hope he's back fit soon, I sense Osman has reached the end of his time with us. I wouldn't be averse to seeing him stay but I get the impression that he'll be considering his options and won't be surprised to see him move back south.

Scully should probably stop hanging about like some desperate rejected lover who accepts being friend-zoned in the hope of winning the bird back. Maybe he'll go on and be a decent keeper at this level but I very much doubt we'll be ruing the day we let him go.

Nitriansky will be lucky to see February, never mind the end of the season. If we're looking to free up jerseys in January, I'd also like to see Nisbet, Dumbuya (who rumour has it, is fucked again) and Sammon punted.

Edited by Armand 2

15 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

At present, he's very much dining on previous success though and if we are still in the league, I'd be looking for an upgrade. Fraser has six months to prove he can maintain any semblance of fitness - and even then, there's no guarantee. I predict if Archie is still about though, so will Fraser and especially so if we go down.

Unless I've missed something or you're eyeteekay he's out of contract in 16 days. Agree about Osman and his baseball cap empire.