The Partick Thistle thread

Nitriansky and McGinn can fill in until one or both of them get injured, at which point we'll just forget about putting anyone out wide and set out in an ultra-narrow 3-3-1-3 Bielsa system.  

Looked quite innocuous from where I was with the injury.  Looked like a nasty clash of heads, but guess he just went down awkwardly.  Guess they didn't really know the severity of the injury given they seemed quite happy to let him hobble off on his fractured ankle.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was actually just a bad sprain, but they then dropped him down the stairs on the way to the treatment room, such is our luck with full backs.

Edited by forameus

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm trying hard not to have a knee jerk reaction to today, but:

image.png.bc1ee972ac8664edd5e1ab37ff8e236e.png

image.thumb.png.dc51143320719075e81e2a4c445f1904.png

Something's seriously wrong, barring the cup win away in Perth. edit: maybe the 2-2 with ten men against Rangers, too.

4 points out of a possible 45, absolutely horrific set of results.

9 minutes ago, Knightswood Jag said:

4 points out of a possible 45, absolutely horrific set of results.

I make that, from the last 12 league games played:

30 goals conceded (includes the 10 conceded from the two shiters when the players had decided to go on holiday early against Celtic and Aberdeen, but still)
9 goals scored
6 games where we've been leading during the match (Rangers last season, Hibs first game of this season, Aberdeen in the 4-3 game, County away, Rangers at Firhill this season,
Hearts at Firhill this season) and not held on for a win
half of those games we were leading in featured late, late collapses (Rangers last season, County away, Hearts at firhill this season)
no wins.

Really poor, and we pretty much have to win at least two of our next three matches now or there's a serious chance of becoming detached at the bottom for the rest of the season.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Today was as bad as I can remember us for a while. Someone else on here said it, but at the moment, we are sleep walking into a relegation battle. Barton is slowly assuming the role of a player who is playing rubbish but is an undroppable favourite of the manager. That being said though there were no positives at all today. Archie is lucky that we have a pretty patient fanbase cause the likes of Jig won't last at the current rate.

36 minutes ago, Knightswood Jag said:

What is your need to point out every mistake I make? 

I'm a pedant by nature. I will happily correct anyone's posts. I'm sure that was the first time I have replied to a Knightswood Jag post. See, there I go again.

33 minutes ago, Knightswood Jag said:

3/42 actually (if you only count league games which I was doing) I hope your boss isn't reading this.

No, it's not. Oops, and again.

I even do pedant jokes -

Woman: "If you weren't so pedantic, we would have less arguments"

Husband: "I think you mean fewer"

:)

The middle of the park is a joke at the moment. I didn't think Barton had been as bad as made out during the 2 games vs the orcs but he was the worst of a horrendous bunch today. 

The full back positions are also a massive worry, Milan looks like a centre half playing wing back and McGinn isn't comfortable on the left side. 

Need to go back to basics. We've been playing with three central defenders who Hoof the ball away. I'd drop Keown or Devine and put Barton back in the centre of defence he doesn't have the legs to play in the middle of the park, any time we lose the ball he's blowing out his arse to get back. But he does bring a calmness back there. If Bannigan not fit get McCarthy in the middle he looks like a natural central midfielder. For a team that was absolutely full of midfielders we really are lacking options at the moment in the middle of the park. Fraser looks like he'll never return and it's a waste that his wage could have been used for another player, if Sean Welsh is fit get him singed on a pay as you play deal. The Czech doesn't look very comfortable at all and really looks like he was a panic signing, not a lot to be optimistic about.

Edited by Thistle4eva

36 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

I'd drop Keown or Devine and put Barton back in the centre of defence

Yup. But I think it's the midfield Archie would be worried about in this case, which is understandable with Osman out and Bannigan having fallen off the face of the earth.

Going 3-5-2 with McCarthy, Edwards and one of Spittal, Lawless or Erskine as a central 3 is hardly the most appealing, but I do think it's probably better than the alternative, which is no composure at the back, and Barton stinking it up in the midfield.