The Partick Thistle thread

With the signing of Charlie Reilly confirmed, we can probably assume that's all our recruitment just about done. On paper, a very decent window, we'll just need to see how they actually fair in the competitive matches now. 

20 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

That defence still looks ropey.

Agree, I like Brownlie though, plus McKenna’s looked decent in pre-season. I’d be starting with them against St Mirren next week, and leaving Tam on the bench, as he stills gives me the fear. 
If we’re going to concede a few this season but score a lot more, it’s acceptable but need to cut out a lot of basic errors that we had last season. Not entirely convinced Sneddon is as good as people made him out to be last season either, you’re always a better player when you aren’t playing (Tam is a good example of that as well)

5 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Agree, I like Brownlie though, plus McKenna’s looked decent in pre-season. I’d be starting with them against St Mirren next week, and leaving Tam on the bench, as he stills gives me the fear. 
If we’re going to concede a few this season but score a lot more, it’s acceptable but need to cut out a lot of basic errors that we had last season. Not entirely convinced Sneddon is as good as people made him out to be last season either, you’re always a better player when you aren’t playing (Tam is a good example of that as well)

O'Ware  and Penrice on the left will be our downfall.

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

O'Ware  and Penrice on the left will be our downfall.

Depending on the form of Williamson (although worth remembering he’s far from decent defensively) I’d be tempted to try Richard Foster at LB. 

On 30/09/2020 at 16:26, R&Y99 said:

Charlie Reilly (the trialist) reportedly signing   

Wee bit surprised at that but fair play to the boy for landing himself a good deal. He was on loan at us last season and was your typical nondescript loanee/youth player. Was never offensively bad; he just never contributed anything and the games seemed to largely pass him by. My abiding memory of him (bar a horrific injury he got at Raith) was being 2-0 down at home to Stranraer with our midfield, featuring, Reilly being useless. He was hooked at half-time and our midfield subs changed the game clawing it back to 2-2 and he barely featured after that. Don't want to be too harsh on him as he was only 17/18, and it was his first taste of first-team football, but that excuse only goes so far. He especially paled in comparison to his contemporary Leon McCann who went on to be a stand-out and who'll definitely go onto bigger and better things soon. 

Not convinced Reilly will make an impact at Thistle but we'll see how it goes. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Wee bit surprised at that but fair play to the boy for landing himself a good deal. He was on loan at us last season and was your typical nondescript loanee/youth player. Was never offensively bad; he just never contributed anything and the games seemed to largely pass him by. My abiding memory of him (bar a horrific injury he got at Raith) was being 2-0 down at home to Stranraer with our midfield, featuring, Reilly being useless. He was hooked at half-time and our midfield subs changed the game clawing it back to 2-2 and he barely featured after that. Don't want to be too harsh on him as he was only 17/18, and it was his first taste of first-team football, but that excuse only goes so far. He especially paled in comparison to his contemporary Leon McCann who went on to be a stand-out and who'll definitely go onto bigger and better things soon. 

Although he's only signed a one-year deal, it seems to me that he's more one for the future, so probably backs up what you're saying about his time at Airdrie, perhaps just needs a fair bit of development. 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

12 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Although he's only signed a one-year deal, it seems to me that he's more one for the future, so probably backs up what you're saying about his time at Airdrie, perhaps just needs a fair bit of development. 

I know he’s only 18, but I expect him to get a decent amount of game time to show what he can do and so he can try and earn another deal. 
Hopefully he has learnt from his experience at Airdrie and improves with us. Gives us more squad depth which I’m not complaining about.

Edited by R&Y99

Speaking to a couple of people who tell me they plan to go up the canal for the first home game and that quite a few others are. Based on the fact that there seemed to be people up there at some of the recent friendlies I could definitely believe that there is going to be a "turnout". Teletext instead for this bear tbh.

5 minutes ago, Jollyjag said:

Who do you think should  be number 1 start goalkeeper for this season sneddon reminds me of scully  a bit regarding tends to have a howler moment each game

I believe Sneddon will start with the gloves, McCall May switch it up in the lc group stages to test both keepers but when the league rolls around I believe Sneddon will be our number one.