The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Sneddon has never been the most commanding presence, but that’s to be expected from a young keeper. The past two seasons he’s spent time behind Cammy Bell, Conor Hazard and Scott Fox, and I don’t think he’s looked particularly worse than any of them when he’s been given a chance. I think it would be pretty unfair if he gets stuck on the bench yet again this season.

I don’t see the guy in training every day, mind you. 

For multiple managers not to fancy him you'd have to assume that something is up, especially with Wright also being young and McCall showing at Ayr that he had no issue fielding a young keeper if he was good enough.

Being second choice behind Bell, Hazard and Fox who weren't exactly ripping things up is a bit of a confidence smasher mind you.

22 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Who were the other 3?

They're all different types, but the five best were Kelly, Cochrane, Wilson, Robertson and Cole, all for different reasons. Age was set to a cut off of 23.

Kelly and Cole the best "attacking" CMs. Wilson and Pybus as ball winners, then Robertson and Cochrane as "possession".

Its all just numbers though, was just curious if the numbers showed some truth.

Edited by RandomGuy.

They're all different types, but the five best were Kelly, Cochrane, Wilson, Robertson and Cole, all for different reasons.
Kelly and Cole the best "attacking" CMs. Wilson and Pybus as ball winners, then Robertson and Cochrane as "possession".

Someone on our thread a week ago seemed to hint we were signing Cole. If he and Kelly were statistically the best attacking CMs last season then he may not be a bad signing.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're all different types, but the five best were Kelly, Cochrane, Wilson, Robertson and Cole, all for different reasons. Age was set to a cut off of 23.

Its all just numbers though, was just curious if the numbers showed some truth.

You running moneyball at St Johnstone these days?

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Someone on our thread a week ago seemed to hint we were signing Cole. If he and Kelly were statistically the best attacking CMs last season then he may not be a bad signing.

2020-08-28_13-01-02.jpg.6b04f1e71e500424cd8e0ceea53169c9.jpg 2020-08-28_13-02-09.jpg.ee42353f94e4d12b1cd826e3ae438e0a.jpg

Kelly was a proper outlier tbf last season, so Cole will be a downgrade, but doesn't look a huge one to me, on paper.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

You running moneyball at St Johnstone these days?

Dont get me started. Got a set up that means I know what figures a top/top10/average player should be pumping out across 4 divisions and 2 countries, and a list of free agents who would be worth a look.

Emailed the club about it, and got ignored.

We're signing a 39yo mate of the manager instead...

2020-08-28_13-01-02.jpg.6b04f1e71e500424cd8e0ceea53169c9.jpg 2020-08-28_13-02-09.jpg.ee42353f94e4d12b1cd826e3ae438e0a.jpg

Kelly was a proper outlier tbf last season, so Cole will be a downgrade, but doesn't look a huge one to me, on paper.

Aye we got very lucky with Kelly and I doubt we could ever replace him with a like for like player.

If Cole signs he’ll end up playing deeper rather than as an actual number 10.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye we got very lucky with Kelly and I doubt we could ever replace him with a like for like player.

If Cole signs he’ll end up playing deeper rather than as an actual number 10.

Cole was better than Kelly in terms of Interceptions p90, successful sliding tackles p90, winning aerial duels p90, amount of defensive duels won p90.

The figures make him look like a gem that just needs a really good polish, and who would then be a star. But it doesnt take into account things like him being lazy/half arsed etc.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cole was better than Kelly in terms of Interceptions p90, successful sliding tackles p90, winning aerial duels p90, amount of defensive duels won p90.

The figures make him look like a gem that just needs a really good polish, and who would then be a star. But it doesnt take into account things like him being lazy/half arsed etc.

Which he absolutely is.

It’s probably hard to judge his true ability with the disgraceful mess of a team that was around him last year. But then again you could also argue that a guy like Cole shirking responsibility and going missing for long periods of time can also be blamed for why we were such a disgrace in the first place.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair enough.

Just asking as he was flagged up in a wee experiment im running as one of the better, young, attacking midfielders in the Championship last season, in terms of having chances, creating chances, and keeping the ball.

Curious whether the practice backs up the theory.

Go out for a pint or something, mate.

14 hours ago, dave.j said:

I have absolutely no doubt he is there to compete with Sneddon. What I take issue with is the fucking wet blanket attitude that seems to be seeping through our support. We have a more than capable goalkeeper. Who many would argue to this day was unfairly treated and dropped from the team at the expensive of a bombscare. He has merited and deserves to start the season as No.1.

Suddenly it's a rangers player and it's, oh he'll be straight into the starting 11. Let's not upset rangers and the gentleman's agreement we have to pap Sneddon back on the bench... what with their history of loaning world beaters, to us, how could we survive without rangers.

My point is more directed at the soft as shite fanbase we have. So devoid of pride or strength.

Don't think anyone is suggesting Sneddon doesn't deserve a chance. Nor is anyone suggesting that a Rangers player SHOULD automatically be starting.

However, people are making a point that it is unlikely they have loaned us a young goalkeeper without some assurances of game time.

Purely guesswork obviously but I don't think you've grasped the point people are making. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair enough.

Just asking as he was flagged up in a wee experiment im running as one of the better, young, attacking midfielders in the Championship last season, in terms of having chances, creating chances, and keeping the ball.

Curious whether the practice backs up the theory.

An experiment? With lab coats, Bunsen burners and test tubes, maybe even some weird animals in cages.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Which he absolutely is.

It’s probably hard to judge his true ability with the disgraceful mess of a team that was around him last year. But then again you could also argue that a guy like Cole shirking responsibility and going missing for long periods of time can also be blamed for why we were such a disgrace in the first place.

Thought Cole was excellent when played further forward, but seemed to drop deeper after January and wasn't as effective/chucked it. Played as a central attacking midfielder, he'd definitely be a great signing for a bottom 6 Premiership/Championship team.

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Don't think anyone is suggesting Sneddon doesn't deserve a chance. Nor is anyone suggesting that a Rangers player SHOULD automatically be starting.

However, people are making a point that it is unlikely they have loaned us a young goalkeeper without some assurances of game time.

Purely guesswork obviously but I don't think you've grasped the point people are making. 

Oh I have. 

Where you getting the stats from @RandomGuy.

Cole is a player with a decent level of ability. As @GrahamJags says I think the position he played negated his positive qualities somewhat. Reads the game well and can cover the ground in transition but when he's not the best tackler or header of a ball the game passed him by regularly when playing a deeper role.

Would do well in a settled side like Ayr who try to play a positive brand of football.

If I could be fucked, I'd lay into that abomination of a statement on fan ownership and spell it out for what it is 

But what's the point. Criticise anything and it's seen as an attack, that you are a bully. We have such a brainwashed support. Allowing themselves to be played. In the history of fan ownership in Scottish football, this is destined to go down in history as how not to do it. It would be embarrassing if it wasn't so unsurprising. 

7 hours ago, dave.j said:

If I could be fucked, I'd lay into that abomination of a statement on fan ownership and spell it out for what it is 

But what's the point. Criticise anything and it's seen as an attack, that you are a bully. We have such a brainwashed support. Allowing themselves to be played. In the history of fan ownership in Scottish football, this is destined to go down in history as how not to do it. It would be embarrassing if it wasn't so unsurprising. 

dave.j (DJ) is a very harsh entity (E). The real fans (RF)  are behind the clique (C). Colin Weir (CW) would be sad (S).

14 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Where you getting the stats from @RandomGuy.

WyScout.

Asked a genuine expert about Cole last night, and was told he "can't run", so is a second tier player at best.