The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

It took me all of five minutes to see on google that they're out of contract. Spence has been binned on looking again Its like the old "but who would replace the manager if he leaves ?" argument.  They're all players with better cv's than Docherty that because of their circumstances might be available to us. 

Docherty was signed before any Lockdown, even happened. Also, almost all of those players would have Championship clubs after them, and I could see Craig being involved in future management at St. Johnstone. 

7 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Neither of those were captains of a successful team. Docherty was.

McCall built a good squad of players at Ayr with a few more experiences players (Kerr, Bell, Adams, Moffat) yet gave Docherty the captaincy. That says something about him imo.

McCall also was quoted last week, by calling Docherty "a winner", everything about his signing, seems good from our perspective. If anyone's lucky, I don't think its him. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8400783/Scottish-Championship-clubs-set-play-nine-games-new-season-begin-October.html

Championship likely to start in October behind closed doors, with 27 games instead of 36. 

Highly doubt League 1 will follow suit, which is disappointing considering it seems as though we are ready to play whenever. 

1 hour ago, Firhill_Basin said:

It took me all of five minutes to see on google that they're out of contract. Spence has been binned on looking again Its like the old "but who would replace the manager if he leaves ?" argument.  They're all players with better cv's than Docherty that because of their circumstances might be available to us. 

I see Jonny Hayes is available as well....

What has them being out of contract have to do with it. Baring some funding miracle, none of those guys will be playing in League One next season?

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

If he is prancing about our midfield next season that’s me finished!!

Bet he’s still considered better than that “diet Stuart Bannigan plodder” Ross Docherty. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8400783/Scottish-Championship-clubs-set-play-nine-games-new-season-begin-October.html

Championship likely to start in October behind closed doors, with 27 games instead of 36. 

Highly doubt League 1 will follow suit, which is disappointing considering it seems as though we are ready to play whenever. 

What’s the logic of deciding on a curtailed league as opposed to a full season, particularly if playing behind closed doors ?

7 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

You need to learn how to use Google then.

Liam Craig extended his St Johnstone deal a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

What’s the logic of deciding on a curtailed league as opposed to a full season, particularly if playing behind closed doors ?

There doesn't seem any logic in playing nine games less,  4 home games and revenue lost, when money is key, very strange.....   Fully expect League 1 to start at same time as Championship, already been discussed and commonly agreed apparently, just to be announced...  The Bet Fred would start at the  beginning of october,

Firhill Basin is a total melt.

My original concern was not that Docherty isn’t a good player. Rather the concern is that a big part of the budget is being taken up by two fairly similar types of midfielder, both of whom are quite physical but pick up silly yellow cards, defensive minded but not a true midfield anchor.

As others have said I’m not sure they would fit very well played alongside one another, which means one capable player is going to be missing out on game time or being played out of position.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

There doesn't seem any logic in playing nine games less,  4 home games and revenue lost, when money is key, very strange.....   Fully expect League 1 to start at same time as Championship, already been discussed and commonly agreed apparently, just to be announced...  The Bet Fred would start at the  beginning of october,

Don't want to derail Thistle's thread but this seems bonkers to me - why use up valuable game weeks pissing around with the Betfred Cup then shortening the league season? Sack the Betfred for a year and complete a full season of league fixtures.

5 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Firhill Basin is a total melt.

My original concern was not that Docherty isn’t a good player. Rather the concern is that a big part of the budget is being taken up by two fairly similar types of midfielder, both of whom are quite physical but pick up silly yellow cards, defensive minded but not a true midfield anchor.

As others have said I’m not sure they would fit very well played alongside one another, which means one capable player is going to be missing out on game time or being played out of position.

To be fair, McCall said he brought Docherty to Thistle, to play alongside Bannigan, and obviously he knows both players well, so clearly he thinks they can work together on a regular basis and be successful. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Don't want to derail Thistle's thread but this seems bonkers to me - why use up valuable game weeks pissing around with the Betfred Cup then shortening the league season? Sack the Betfred for a year and complete a full season of league fixtures.

Can’t disagree with this, if the league is to start in October, (Championship and L1)  somehow make it work for 36 games, if that means scrapping the Betfred Cup, then scrap it. We could always run the league til the end of May, or when it’s safer have a few Tuesday/Saturday weeks. It’s nonsense that the SFA think they are fitting in Betfred Cup, Scottish Cup, and playing the rest of last season’s Scottish Cup during the next season, whilst shortening seasons outwith the Premiership. Before any cup comes into thought, focus on every team’s main concern and that is the League Campaign. 

17 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

I wonder how much of this is just Ann Budge wanting to make sure her legacy isnt:

Took over in the Championship

Reappointed Craig Levein

Got relegated back down again.

Won f**k all inbetween.

Happy coincidence that it rhymes. 

Surely all this does is throw a spanner in the works on getting football back up and running again?

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I wonder how much of this is just Ann Budge wanting to make sure her legacy isnt:

Took over in the Championship

Reappointed Craig Levein

Got relegated back down again.

Won f**k all inbetween.

Happy coincidence that it rhymes. 

Surely all this does is throw a spanner in the works on getting football back up and running again?

I might be wrong but does this not just leave Scotland as the only country in Europe to be relegating teams when the league is incomplete. If so and again I emphasise I don’t know, we have got to fight our corner along with Hearts and Stranraer

37 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Can't we just focus on getting the football back up and running as soon as possible, as I take it, Hearts going to court, would stop football being played. Worth remembering if Hearts actually do take the SPFL to court, it'll likely be the other 41 SPFL clubs funding the SPFL's side, in a court battle, so it's bad news for everyone if it goes to court. Unless there's a big swing in support for immediate reconstruction, I can't see anything other than Hearts being a Championship club next season, and ourselves and Falkirk being in League 1 still.

I don't know the legalities of it, but isn't the difference between Scotland and France that, it was the French FA that decided to relegate teams, where as in Scotland, it's a members organisation, where a "democratic" (word used to extremely loosely) vote took place.