The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Docherty will absolutely put himself about and at that level can easily do the dirty work whilst still being good on the ball. He is prone to the odd heads gone moment and gives away stupid free kicks but he’s a solid wee guy and won’t be bullied.

I’m a bit worried he and Bannigan are too similar.

Docherty is punching above his weight playing for us. Its a Brady/Jimmy Gibson esque signing. We need more dig in the middle. I'd have canned Bannigan if possible as well. 

The nostalgic ex player chat is utterly tiresome. We need fresh blood, i.e. Blair Lyons, young hungry players who can grow with us. Not c***s on the wrong side of 30 on the way out to come in purely out of sentiment. 

I’m a bit worried he and Bannigan are too similar.

He’s probably more effective than Bannigan now. He’ll cover more ground, clean up in front of the back 4 and his passing is just as good as Bannigans. His only downside is reckless fouls and not moving the ball very quickly and slowing the build up down. The big problem you’ll have next season is if McCall keeps shoehorning Bannigan into midfield when you should be pairing Doc with someone a bit more attacking.
Docherty is punching above his weight playing for us.

No

He’s a mid table Championship midfielder who has strolled League 1 twice. You are a League 1 club. Had it not been for a couple of bad injuries he probably would’ve left us either after our first promotion or after our relegation the following season.

30 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Docherty is punching above his weight playing for us. Its a Brady/Jimmy Gibson esque signing. We need more dig in the middle. I'd have canned Bannigan if possible as well. 

The nostalgic ex player chat is utterly tiresome. We need fresh blood, i.e. Blair Lyons, young hungry players who can grow with us. Not c***s on the wrong side of 30 on the way out to come in purely out of sentiment. 

Can I nominate Kallum Higginbotham for my contribution to tiresome nostalgic ex player chat, especially as Zanatta is away? (will try to limit it to just the one name)

The guy has drifted between league 1 and the Championship and suddenly at age 27 he lucks into a two year full-time deal at a bigger club than hes ever previously been at? Hes won a watch based on his career so far. Hes a plodder.

Edited by Firhill_Basin

41 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Some people refer to those ex players as Legends, but each to their own...

The guy has drifted between league 1 and the Championship and suddenly at age 27 he lucks into a two year full-time deal at a bigger club than hes ever previously been at? Hes won a watch based on his career so far. Hes a plodder.

He’s not drifted at all. He dropped down from Livi because he was a young player not getting a game and then dropped back into League 1 about 2 years later when we got relegated. Apart from 2 and a half seasons he’s been in the Championship and done absolutely fine.

I wouldn’t exactly say getting a move to Partick Thistle in the seaside league is him “winning a watch”.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wouldn’t exactly say getting a move to Partick Thistle in the seaside league is him “winning a watch”.

Sadly this is correct, anyone trying to claim, us in League 1, are too good for Ross Docherty, is having a laugh. 

He’s a good signing, has did well in the league above ours, and seems like he’s happy to be at the club, and ready to do well. 

Also most of the qualities that have been described by the Ayr fans, seem to sound like he’s a player we could be doing with. 

Edited by JagsCG

What else is he going to do thats better than what hes landed with us? Stay at Ayr for less money on a year to year contract?

We did offer him a pretty decent contract tbf so there’s a fair chance it was a two year deal.

It’s still completely ridiculous to think he’s somehow gotten lucky to have got a move to Partick Thistle when he should be playing at a higher level. It’s more likely you lot that have gotten lucky that he blindly committed to a PCA when there was still a fair chance you would be relegated.

6 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

What else is he going to do thats better than what hes landed with us? Stay at Ayr for less money on a year to year contract?

Well I won’t pretend the know how much he got paid at Ayr or what he’s getting paid with us, but I’d take a wild guess that competing at the top of the Championship with Ayr (like he’s did for the last 2 seasons) is better than competing in the third tier of Scottish Football. 

But he’s a Jags player now, and he’s a good signing, I don’t really see what the big issue with him is?

Edited by JagsCG

Even just looking at him on paper, matches what I've seen of him in a player. Mediocre.  A diet Stuart Bannigan, the same type of player only has played at a lower level more.  Gets booked a lot, rarely scores, and when he wasn't notching up yellow cards, spent most of the season before last as a squad player sitting on the bench loads. Christ we should be thanking our lucky stars we've landed such a baller to build the team around for the next two years. By which time he'll be closing in on 30. 

2 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Even just looking at him on paper, matches what I've seen of him in a player. Mediocre.  A diet Stuart Bannigan, the same type of player only has played at a lower level more.  Gets booked a lot, rarely scores, and when he wasn't notching up yellow cards, spent most of the season before last as a squad player sitting on the bench loads. Christ we should be thanking our lucky stars we've landed such a baller to build the team around for the next two years. By which time he'll be closing in on 30. 

Who would you rather we signed then? 
I've always thought Docherty was decent when we played Ayr, even in the game after everyone knew he'd signed for us, which showed he was committed to the club paying his wages, and in turn, a committed player, and midfielders usually peak between 27 and 30, so that's good news he's that age then, isn't it? 

I think you’ll only find diet Stuart Bannigan types in the juniors these days.

He’s a holding midfielder so “rarely scores” is a bit of a bizarre criticism. He got quite a bad injury last season and had Murdoch and Kerr in front of him so wasn’t really going to be a first pick. When he did play which was still a fair few times he was good.

Tbh it’s a bit bizarre you judging him so harshly at all when you won’t have seen him more than a handful of times compared to the 5 years worth I’ve seen him.

26 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Fucking mental take on a guy who has captained a team that's been comfortably better than us for 2 seasons now.

He would have been a good, solid signing in the Championship. He's now an excellent addition for a League One campaign.

If all our signings this season are of the calibre of Ross Docherty we'll be doing well 

Edited by Jacky1990

18 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Who would you rather we signed then? 
I've always thought Docherty was decent when we played Ayr, even in the game after everyone knew he'd signed for us, which showed he was committed to the club paying his wages, and in turn, a committed player, and midfielders usually peak between 27 and 30, so that's good news he's that age then, isn't it? 

Tom Walsh, Lewis Spence, Liam Craig, Tony Andreu. 

Just now, Firhill_Basin said:

Tom Walsh, Lewis Spence, Liam Craig, Tony Andreu. 

Tom Walsh will be at a top end Championship or lower end Premiership team.

You mean the Lewis Spencer who plays regularly for a Premiership team?

Liam Craig, a potential for next St J manager and 100% out of our wage range.

Tony Andreu is 4 and a half years older than Docherty, is a total luxury player and, again, 100% out of our wage range.

Football Manager pish.

4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Fucking mental take on a guy who has captained a team that's been comfortably better than us for 2 seasons now.

He would have been a good, solid signing in the Championship. He's now an excellent addition for a League One campaign.

If all our signings this season are of the calibre of Ross Docherty we'll be doing well 

Since when was a captain an indicator of a players quality? We've had plenty of shite captains. Grant Murray, O'Ware wasn't Cammy Bell our captain briefly? Anyone can shout and point fingers.

4 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Since when was a captain an indicator of a players quality? We've had plenty of shite captains. Grant Murray, O'Ware wasn't Cammy Bell our captain briefly? Anyone can shout and point fingers.

Neither of those were captains of a successful team. Docherty was.

McCall built a good squad of players at Ayr with a few more experiences players (Kerr, Bell, Adams, Moffat) yet gave Docherty the captaincy. That says something about him imo.