The Partick Thistle thread

51 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Absolutely not ITK so just specualating here.

Is there a chance that some of the Weir money (if we have any) is being taken from the academy and towards general running of the club during this time, hence why we might be in a better position?

Have no idea but in a week when we seemingly have informed players of up to 50% wage cuts it does appear very strange, if true.  There are obviously lots of things happening in the background. Papers suggesting today that Hearts will not survive if the Championship is played behind closed doors or indeed doesn’t start until January and that only a few of the part time  lower league sides can afford to play behind closed doors games and want to mothball until 21/22 season. Only guessing but I wonder if that’s why we have come out and said we can afford to do that,  then they might contemplate increasing the Championship to save the two full time Div 1 sides (Thistle and Falkirk) and mothball all the rest. Who knows but it’s the biggest crisis ever seen in Scottish Football and the last thing the game wants  is teams going to the wall, especially full time teams 

Edited by Sting777

Have no idea but in a week when we seemingly have informed players of up to 50% wage cuts it does appear very strange, if true.  There are obviously lots of things happening in the background. Papers suggesting today that Hearts will not survive if the Championship is played behind closed doors or indeed doesn’t start until January and that only a few of the part time  lower league sides can afford to play behind closed doors games and want to mothball until 21/22 season. Only guessing but I wonder if that’s why we have come out and said we can afford to do that,  then they might contemplate increasing the Championship to save the two full time Div 1 sides (Thistle and Falkirk) and mothball all the rest. Who knows but it’s the biggest crisis ever seen in Scottish Football and the last thing the game wants  is teams going to the wall, especially full time teams 

The last thing the game wants, yes, but not supported so far by actions of most clubs.

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

As time goes on it’s looking possible only certain teams might be able to afford the costs of playing. Could even be only one league operating unless some new commercial model appears. The league structure needs to accommodate all teams that want to keep playing  and ensure as many players as possible remain within the game   

13 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

As time goes on it’s looking possible only certain teams might be able to afford the costs of playing. Could even be only one league operating unless some new commercial model appears. The league structure needs to accommodate all teams that want to keep playing  and ensure as many players as possible remain within the game   

Correct ,  The SPL have pulled up the drawbridge so forget about them,,,,   If for example over the remaining 3 leagues 8 teams which is quite possible choose not to play this seaspn,   surely the spfl can organise the league's and money distribution to the remain ing teams in order for the teams and businesses to trade, surely they cannot be pulled down by the few.....

on the other hand only the SPL survives,  courtesy of the sky deal,    Thousands of lower league fans take out the sky p package to watch the football, come January the lower leagues begin to get crank up,  Good luck trying to get these fans back on a wet and windy January afternoon, when they have been used to Football on the box beer in hand,  A January start or a next season start is suicide al s o...

There is absolutely no way Thistle and Falkirk are going to be hoisted into the top division just because they have players signed up.
Nor should they be. Playing behind closed doors would be shite no doubt but if there was a way for the spfl to broadcast matches or indeed the clubs themselves at a reasonable quality then I'm sure people would pay maybe £5 per match to watch?

I'd rather players were unemployed than clubs go out of business.

And how are clubs going to go out of business employing players for a month when they don’t have to pay their wages?

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

I'm not really into this full time clubs are more important bullshit, there are quite a few full time clubs that deserve whatever comes their way during this crisis, I'm give more kudos to small well run diddier diddy clubs than I do the perennial over spenders of other people's cash. 

37 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

There is absolutely no way Thistle and Falkirk are going to be hoisted into the top division just because they have players signed up.

Never said that. They might ask to get hoisted up to the Championship as they are willing to play behind closed doors whereas the majority of the league they are in do not want to play due to costs!

2 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:
27 minutes ago, D said:

And how are clubs going to go out of business employing players for a month when they don’t have to pay their wages?

What happens after that month?

I'm sure you'd rather get a % of a months wage than nothing. 

Correct. Or I could be in talks to sign for another championship club and turn down your shitey 1 month deal.

Except you’re not going to be in talks because no club in this league is signing anyone.

You’ve basically made 17 people unemployed with very little chance of finding a new club.