The Partick Thistle thread

The last time Thistle were relegated by a corrupt vote , in 2004, it was Aberdeen in particular who were rewarded with , I believe, over £500,000 . This time interestingly enough is different, as EVERY league club is being offered money to relegate them. Partick Thistle really are a special club.

Just now, Midlife Crisis said:

If the club are determined to take legal action and be taken seriously, can I suggest that they immediately drop all this embarrassing “Family Club” bollocks.

Not so cuddly anymore 

1 minute ago, Stan Butler Says said:

The last time Thistle were relegated by a corrupt vote , in 2004, it was Aberdeen in particular who were rewarded with , I believe, over £500,000 . This time interestingly enough is different, as EVERY league club is being offered money to relegate them. Partick Thistle really are a special club.

Stranraer would be relegated as well 

58 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The proposal isn't on current standings though; it's points per game, for exactly the reason you note.

Also the SPL doesn't exist and hasn't existed for many years.

In other words it proposes to award league positions based on a criteria that was not known when the competition started, which is being voted on by Clubs on the basis of what is to their own advantage based on how they’ve done so far, and which is then used to punish certain Clubs based on them having played not just fewer but also a *different set of* fixtures from their immediate rivals.

The retrospectivity of this is a big part of why it’s unfair. But it’s also clear that plenty Championship clubs would not have agreed to rules like this at the start of the season in the event a situation like this materialised. They would recognise its intrinsic unfairness and specifically in the context of relegation more so than for any other positions.

They didn't know a global pandemic was going to hit when the season started either.

There isn't a fair answer but this exceptional, unprecedented once in a lifetime situation is, I think, a decent enough basis to alter things from the agreed upon criteria at the start of the season this one time.

54 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They didn't know a global pandemic was going to hit when the season started either.

There isn't a fair answer but this exceptional, unprecedented once in a lifetime situation is, I think, a decent enough basis to alter things from the agreed upon criteria at the start of the season this one time.

So your duty in those circumstances is to mitigate harsh consequences on clubs that hadn’t yet fully earned them. It is not to compound them in a time of economic hardship, retrospectively. League reconstruction mitigates the unfairness of calling the league prematurely and therefore should go hand in hand with it.

Not some vague pish about agreeing to look at it if you agree to impose the really unfair thing first.

If the authorities had tried to come up with a rule or approach, before the season started, that they were satisfied most fairly would deal with a situation like this, they would not have chosen this rule because far more clubs, not knowing where they were going to finish, would think that rule was unduly unfair on those in situations such as Thistle, Hearts and Stranraer have found themselves. That is the reality of the matter.

Retrospective rule making by those who stand to benefit from the rules being changed retrospectively is a compounded list of unfairness, which does not have to be pursued.

Edited by Ad Lib

Why is starting next season being considered as more important than finishing this season? The fairest approach would be to resume this season when possible, play the remaining games, then organise a shortened 20/21 season where everyone knows the rules from the outset.

59 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Why is starting next season being considered as more important than finishing this season? The fairest approach would be to resume this season when possible, play the remaining games, then organise a shortened 20/21 season where everyone knows the rules from the outset.

Because they don't know if/when next season can in fact actually start, because the Clubs are about to have lots of players out of contract, because UEFA needs to know which teams each association is putting forward for various competitions, and because there are legal problems with the broadcasters and sponsors if this season is not brought to an end before a certain point.

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Next season may well be very short - there’s a number of scientists saying that while there may well be a lull over the summer COVID19 is likely to come back badly around the end of October/November 

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

Next season may well be very short - there’s a number of scientists saying that while there may well be a lull over the summer COVID19 is likely to come back badly around the end of October/November 

Unfortunately I think that would sound the death knell for many clubs. I really, really hope that's not the case. 

Just to clarify, what is Partick Thistle's financial situation? I understood Colin Weir gave the club several million for a training facility and, prior to his death (RIP), I thought he provided the funds to prevent the owners of Barnsley from purchasing the club, and ultimately ensured fan ownership. Am I wrong? Explain it to me like I'm a five year old, because I genuinely thought you would be in a great position! 

I don't. Then you'd have all clubs demanding compensation for potential lost revenue. Falkirk could say that if Partick were compensated then why weren't they? They could still have won the league. Every single team can make an argument for being compensated, from saying that they could have won a playoff to even the difference in prize money between say 5th and 6th place.

The obvious answer to that is to share the prize money equally among all the clubs.

Just to clarify, what is Partick Thistle's financial situation? I understood Colin Weir gave the club several million for a training facility and, prior to his death (RIP), I thought he provided the funds to prevent the owners of Barnsley from purchasing the club, and ultimately ensured fan ownership. Am I wrong? Explain it to me like I'm a five year old, because I genuinely thought you would be in a great position! 
I asked the same yesterday . before Colin Weir passed away the Three black cats Colin Weirs company owned 76% of the club with only one other director namely Jackie low . she was then made Chairperson . So does she solely own the club share that Colin owned . The black cats at last company's house report had 5m in the pot . I know the fans don't like her but if she's the major share holder then so be it . am not 100% sure like many were the club lies financially