The Partick Thistle thread

20 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Saturday 4th April, 2020 at 1:59pm

The latest message from the manager arrives for you today, on the date of another scheduled home game, against Arbroath, which is now postponed. Enjoy!

Saturday afternoon at 3 o’clock; so why is the red and yellow so dear to me?

Firstly, let’s get an undeniable fact out of the way. Perhaps a little bit different to my first stint in charge of this awesome club, I need to win games to remain here. By that I mean that I completely realise that being a Jags man does not make me exempt from the laws of being a football manager. I freely admit that the job is a bit more difficult than I realised (more on that another time!) but these laws are kind of set in stone and apply to every full-time gaffer.

Back to why Thistle … and there are two strange coincidences that happened before I fell in love with our club.

It may have been around 1987/88 that I attended a reserve game at Firhill; the opposition was either Dunfermline or Hamilton. I was there to watch a pal of mine (Stevie ‘Snowy’ Morrison). I sat in the main stand and got chatting to an older gentleman who was there to watch his son play for Thistle. He was called John Elliot and his son was called Thomas. I met Tommy about a month later, we became great pals and, many years later, he was the best man at my wedding. Already Thistle was starting to seep into me!

Secondly, and at another reserve game at Firhill, I saw a striker play, a striker that I would sign a few years later; his name was Stephen Dobbie. He scored five, six, maybe seven goals that night and I went away with his name written in my wee book in capitals! I’ve managed a few international players but in terms of natural talent, most were a good bit behind him. Incidentally he still tells me he owes me a season!

Why the Jags? Having lived locally for many (many!) years, my base of friends were, almost to a man, Thistle fans. None were working in the football industry … which in some ways explains my mediocre playing career! But they all loved going to Firhill and when I could I would join them. We always stood in the old terracing behind the goal. It was kind of beginning to start then.

I started to realise that the team in Glasgow that most suited my personality was Thistle and I think that’s important. I couldn’t get my head round wanting to watch any team that was going to win almost every week; how can the taste of victory be so incredibly sweet when it is almost guaranteed? Another reason why I evolved to the red and yellow.

There are other reasons but I will leave you with one that rightly or wrongly, I believe. There are maybe another 10-12 clubs of our size in Scotland but we are the only club of our size that can claim to be iconic.

Please be safe and please be healthy.

IMc

PS. I have also managed a player with the same levels of natural ability as Dobbie at Thistle!

What a fanny, first he tells everybody he,s a Dumfries lad and as such was a QOS fan, now he,s Partick. Nobody changes their football team unless you,re a fanny

21 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Saturday 4th April, 2020 at 1:59pm

The latest message from the manager arrives for you today, on the date of another scheduled home game, against Arbroath, which is now postponed. Enjoy!

“There are maybe another 10-12 clubs of our size in Scotland but we are the only club of our size that can claim to be iconic.”

🤪 Oh? REALLY?  😄😄😄

Heart-on-sleeve mouth music, designed to cosy in with the luvvies. 

ANY team can be seen as iconic - by their own support.  I’d be interested in seeing McColl’s justification for claiming that Pertyck are iconic to anyone out with their own fanbase.

To me, the only things that set them apart from the rest is that perceived and media-fed “cuddly toy” image - which they hate - and that scary-assed mascot of theirs.

Stay “iconic” to your own fans, by all means. Just don’t try inventing something that does not exist. That’s embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

🤪 Oh? REALLY?  😄😄😄

Heart-on-sleeve mouth music, designed to cosy in with the luvvies. 

ANY team can be seen as iconic - by their own support.  I’d be interested in seeing McColl’s justification for claiming that Pertyck are iconic to anyone out with their own fanbase.

To me, the only things that set them apart from the rest is that perceived and media-fed “cuddly toy” image - which they hate - and that scary-assed mascot of theirs.

Stay “iconic” to your own fans, by all means. Just don’t try inventing something that does not exist. That’s embarrassing.

Bloody hell. Someone who supports a team from Greenock saying anything is embarassing.  Lol.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Bloody hell. Someone who supports a team from Greenock saying anything is embarassing.  Lol.

🤔 Too embarrassing a post to be worthy of further comment - but do feel free to explain what makes your club "iconic" to the exclusion of others. 

Whenever you're ready...... 

[emoji848] Too embarrassing a post to be worthy of further comment - but do feel free to explain what makes your club "iconic" to the exclusion of others. 
He didn't say anything of the kind. If you want Ian McCall to explain his comments then feel free to email the club. Alternatively you could read a book, do some hoovering or wash the motor.

1 hour ago, Walter said:
1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:
emoji848.png Too embarrassing a post to be worthy of further comment - but do feel free to explain what makes your club "iconic" to the exclusion of others. 

He didn't say anything of the kind.

"There are maybe another 10-12 clubs of our size in Scotland but we are the only club of our size that can claim to be iconic.”

👍

If you’re referring to the Magyar guy, my apologies - his post had already been deleted from my consciousness.

Re McColl, I have no problem with anyone giving it the big “see me, ah fukkin  luv this club, me“.  That’s fine, as was the rest of his message - apart from the line I quoted. The club is special to him, he says, and fair enough.  To suggest it is uniquely “iconic” to anyone out with the Thistle, err, “family”, though, is not just nonsense, it’s an insult to others and embarrassing for him. 

Kinda like the written equivalent of shitting in someone else’s shoe.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

6 hours ago, Ayr145 said:

What a fanny, first he tells everybody he,s a Dumfries lad and as such was a QOS fan, now he,s Partick. Nobody changes their football team unless you,re a fanny

He left the team of the league to join the team bottom so yes I’d say he does have a passion for Partick Thistle 

7 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Ayr fans still hurting? Let it go. It will improve your mental health.

They'll be hurting even more now.

A few hours ago, Mark Kerr donated £40 to the Help The Jags fundraiser - https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-jags.

"Couldn’t imagine life without Thistle so got to contribute to help the club!"  😁

Using a comma as an apostrophe is definitely fanny material.

6 hours ago, H Wragg said:
22 hours ago, Ayr145 said:

Using a comma as an apostrophe is definitely fanny material.

Gets right up your colon, doesn,t it?  still, it,s not as annoying as the guy who persists in saying “dosent”. 🤪

14 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

They'll be hurting even more now.

A few hours ago, Mark Kerr donated £40 to the Help The Jags fundraiser - https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-jags.

"Couldn’t imagine life without Thistle so got to contribute to help the club!"  😁

Possibly not the same Mark Kerr though, it’s not that uncommon a name 

1 hour ago, Walter said:
2 hours ago, kerly said:
Saw  this on greave sports this morning .Only got it in small size  Bargain of the year
E29F7B45-DD97-4FCA-A04F-F6310E815E05.thumb.png.2e2cecc6d3d427a8eb9678bcf1c91088.png

Just bought one. £3.95 delivery but still a bargain.

Just sorry I am not a small anymore 

I guess they can't just leave it until they know, but seems weird that we're able to buy season tickets for a season where we don't know where we'll be playing, how many games we'll actually be playing, or, worst case and not at all likely, whether there will be a next season at all.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

I guess they can't just leave it until they know, but seems weird that we're able to buy season tickets for a season where we don't know where we'll be playing, how many games we'll actually be playing, or, worst case and not at all likely, whether there will be a next season at all.

For me it is all about making sure Thistle comes through this as strong as possible. I had to put my feelings for the chairwoman and TFE to one side when I entrusted them with my season ticket money.

6 hours ago, kerly said:

For me it is all about making sure Thistle comes through this as strong as possible. I had to put my feelings for the chairwoman and TFE to one side when I entrusted them with my season ticket money.

Afraid I dont have your big hearted actions over this. While She Devil is still there I will not be renewing my season ticket.