Jump to content
South Lanarkshire Jag

Partick Thistle 2020/21 thread

Recommended Posts

Yes it does. Theres no "likely" in that statement

 

But it's as of Monday, not right now. Everyone will be in the same boat - it's hard to interpret the Scottish government advice any other way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
47 minutes ago, Mr X said:
Yes it does. Theres no "likely" in that statement

But it's as of Monday, not right now.

I know that. But the SPFL havent made any decisions or announcements, other than to say they'll be talking about it.

Thats why I questioned why Thistle have come out with such a definitive statement all by themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I know that. But the SPFL havent made any decisions or announcements, other than to say they'll be talking about it.
Thats why I questioned why Thistle have come out with such a definitive statement all by themselves.
Must have plenty cash to take this action cancel all match hospitality and fund events . IMO if the old firm wasn't playing Sunday then all game would be off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Club's response to the crisis is proportionate and the likliehood of an indefinite suspension of all football is growing all the time. That's the correct approach. Football doesn't exist in a vacuum and clubs and the football authorities have to react to the situation. 

The economic impact of this crisis could be as significant as the health implications. 

Football clubs will be seriously at risk. The lack of cash flow, especially if the club was already struggling, could force some clubs under. 

The ones best equipped to deal with it might be those that have the largest number of players going out of contract at the end of May. 

Thistle were involved in not insignificant transfer activity in January with at least 2 players signed on 2 year contracts. 

I fear we might be more vulnerable that others. 

Hopefully not and my irrational response is just a bi-product of the whole 'end of the world' mood that is prevailing at present. It's all deeply unsettling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:
I know that. But the SPFL havent made any decisions or announcements, other than to say they'll be talking about it.
Thats why I questioned why Thistle have come out with such a definitive statement all by themselves.

Must have plenty cash to take this action cancel all match hospitality and fund events . IMO if the old firm wasn't playing Sunday then all game would be off

I think I heard a rumour that Thistle had come into a little bit of money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John MacLean said:

The Club's response to the crisis is proportionate and the likliehood of an indefinite suspension of all football is growing all the time. That's the correct approach. Football doesn't exist in a vacuum and clubs and the football authorities have to react to the situation. 

The economic impact of this crisis could be as significant as the health implications. 

Football clubs will be seriously at risk. The lack of cash flow, especially if the club was already struggling, could force some clubs under. 

The ones best equipped to deal with it might be those that have the largest number of players going out of contract at the end of May. 

Thistle were involved in not insignificant transfer activity in January with at least 2 players signed on 2 year contracts. 

I fear we might be more vulnerable that others. 

Hopefully not and my irrational response is just a bi-product of the whole 'end of the world' mood that is prevailing at present. It's all deeply unsettling. 

Not questioning the appropriateness of the measures taken, just found it strange that they've gone rogue and announced a bunch of measures independently without waiting on the SPFL to make a decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr X said:

Not questioning the appropriateness of the measures taken, just found it strange that they've gone rogue and announced a bunch of measures independently without waiting on the SPFL to make a decision.

Could well make them look silly in the long-run, but does it really look that much of a stretch at this stage?  Don't find much wrong with what they said, particularly when it arguably should be the policy across football.  From the wording of the statement it sounds like we're not exactly keen to play tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Walter said:
21 hours ago, DougJamie said:
You also have them on the pitch and the dug out. Surprised its taken you that long to realise. Enjoy Cove next year 

Great. Another St Mirren supporting weirdo with excruciatingly shite patter. You on a job share with that Paul Cicero nutter?

Not at all, you're just such easy targets ………… Ian McColl :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, I am certainly no fan of JLow and this pussy board, but I actually think they've shot the first salvo in this crisis, where quite frankly the authorities , including the government should have had a set of balls to act. But of course, it's the Scumbag derby this weekend. And the first minister wouldn't want to upset her Govan constituents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Thistle still playing behind closed doors then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All games off - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51858736

"The remainder of the Scottish football season has been postponed indefinitely over fears about the coronavirus, the SPFL has confirmed.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said it was "neither realistic nor possible" to continue with games.

All Scottish fixtures will be suspended until further notice."

ETA - full SPFL  statement - https://spfl.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-46618

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Just scratch this season and start again in about 4 years time , yeah? Seems fine to me.

Ftfy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Now, I am certainly no fan of JLow and this pussy board, but I actually think they've shot the first salvo in this crisis, where quite frankly the authorities , including the government should have had a set of balls to act. But of course, it's the Scumbag derby this weekend. And the first minister wouldn't want to upset her Govan constituents.

You must be happy now. But there is one big issue to be resolved.

If the rest of the games are cancelled rather than postponed, logically relegations and promotions are cancelled too. 

But I would not trust Neil Doncaster to do the right thing.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably closed doors is off the table now. Apparently some clubs are relying on goodwill of ST holders not asking for refunds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Presumably closed doors is off the table now. Apparently some clubs are relying on goodwill of ST holders not asking for refunds.

Asking for a season ticket refund in this situation would be a total embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we’ve seen a prolonged postponement of the league outright since the outbreak of World War 2? Obviously we’ve had long spates of weather postponements for individual grounds etc but that isn’t the same.

That’s our only precedent. The league was scrapped after 5 games. Null and void.

If we are into (say) May and the season still isn’t up and running again, they surely can’t relegate based on existing or projected standings, especially with so many games still to go. The only equitable thing to do is to declare this league season null and void, and work out a compromise with the big clubs about who should take our European spots next season.

Its the only equitable thing to do. And for once the fair thing is coincidentally in Thistle’s interests.

I suppose one compromise might be to sling the top four teams from the Championship into the Premier for a 1 season only 16 team league, and shunt the top four of each of the other leagues up a league with some sort of reconstruction back to status quo the year after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Asking for a season ticket refund in this situation would be a total embarrassment.

A fan on one of the Queens facebook page already asked that yesterday before the announcement was even made <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I don’t think we’ve seen a prolonged postponement of the league outright since the outbreak of World War 2? Obviously we’ve had long spates of weather postponements for individual grounds etc but that isn’t the same.

That’s our only precedent. The league was scrapped after 5 games. Null and void.

If we are into (say) May and the season still isn’t up and running again, they surely can’t relegate based on existing or projected standings, especially with so many games still to go. The only equitable thing to do is to declare this league season null and void, and work out a compromise with the big clubs about who should take our European spots next season.

Its the only equitable thing to do. And for once the fair thing is coincidentally in Thistle’s interests.

I suppose one compromise might be to sling the top four teams from the Championship into the Premier for a 1 season only 16 team league, and shunt the top four of each of the other leagues up a league with some sort of reconstruction back to status quo the year after?

There is another solution. 

We simply pick up the current season from where we left it when football starts up again irrespective of when that is and irrespective of the composition of squads given likely contract expiry if it is a prolonged abeyance . 

Once 19/20 is finally completed the new season starts immediately and/or is run in an abridged format (play each other twice instead of four times) depending on timescales. 

Edited by John MacLean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don’t think we’ve seen a prolonged postponement of the league outright since the outbreak of World War 2? Obviously we’ve had long spates of weather postponements for individual grounds etc but that isn’t the same.
That’s our only precedent. The league was scrapped after 5 games. Null and void.
If we are into (say) May and the season still isn’t up and running again, they surely can’t relegate based on existing or projected standings, especially with so many games still to go. The only equitable thing to do is to declare this league season null and void, and work out a compromise with the big clubs about who should take our European spots next season.
Its the only equitable thing to do. And for once the fair thing is coincidentally in Thistle’s interests.
I suppose one compromise might be to sling the top four teams from the Championship into the Premier for a 1 season only 16 team league, and shunt the top four of each of the other leagues up a league with some sort of reconstruction back to status quo the year after?


I would say the best and most reasonable compromise would be the immediate liquidation of Rangers, and every other team can be bumped up one position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...