The Partick Thistle thread

44 minutes ago, dave.j said:

And I have nothing but respect for him doing that. But let's not rewrite history.

He shared far less than 5% of his and his wife's wealth.

He revolutionised the Youth set up. But did so as a completely different Company separate to the club.

I've not peddled any conspiracy theory. All I've asked for is a bit of history behind his love of the club. Why can no one provide any? 

The two points you make are obviously made grudgingly. So 5% not enough for you? Presumably you expected more from a true ( sic ) fan to gain your respect? 

On your second point about the youth set up finances being separate from the club. So what? Investment is investment.

Why dont you just accept he was a supporter who to the best of my knowledge did good by us and beyond. No apology required. 

13 minutes ago, theundisputedvoiceofreason said:

The two points you make are obviously made grudgingly. So 5% not enough for you? Presumably you expected more from a true ( sic ) fan to gain your respect? 

On your second point about the youth set up finances being separate from the club. So what? Investment is investment.

Why dont you just accept he was a supporter who to the best of my knowledge did good by us and beyond. No apology required. 

Is this the same youth set up he had recently pulled all funding from, which let's not kid on, would have led to it being closed down? 

1 minute ago, theundisputedvoiceofreason said:

Who is funding it now? 

Good question.

It was recently stated that 3BCs had no money left. So that's now anyone's guess where the money will now come from.

But you acknowledge that he was going to pull all funding of our youth structure.

13 hours ago, dave.j said:

And I have nothing but respect for him doing that. But let's not rewrite history.

He shared far less than 5% of his and his wife's wealth.

He revolutionised the Youth set up. But did so as a completely different Company separate to the club.

I've not peddled any conspiracy theory. All I've asked for is a bit of history behind his love of the club. Why can no one provide any? 

While there is no doubt some rewriting of history going on here (with Low's usual PR disaster paw prints all over it), I would question whether the week of his funeral  is the time to be embarking on a rant about how much of a fan CW was. 

It's also very possible that he went to games in his youth, with people who don't post on this particular forum where you are demanding answers, then became a more passive fan who only made it to Firhill occasionally - but who still regarded himself as a fan.  Why does it matter?

"Far less than 5% of his wealth" sounds extremely sour-faced and ungrateful when talking about someone who has put millions into the club. He didn't need to do that.  If anyone else out there also wants to put a few million quid into Thistle, they can photoshop themselves into photos of the 1971 League Cup final and put them on the covers of match programmes for all I care. 

I share the concerns of many about what exactly is happening with 3BC from here on in, but I would suggest that maybe it's Paul Goodwin that needs to be scrutinised in terms of his motivations and claims to be a Jags fan, not our recently deceased benefactor who has undoubtedly helped us out in a big way in recent years.

Also read that due to his work with STV he was more likely to be in the tv gantry than in the stands at Firhill. 

I guess when you look at our crowds dipping from the 50s forwards there are thousands of fans who have drifted away or had commitments through family or work.

I'm just glad Mr Weir came back.

According to someone on our fans page, MacKinnon's not happy with a loan move - would rather be paid up by Accies and move to you guys permanently.

I’d be surprised if we went for that, would have thought MacKinnon is seen as a stopgap for the rest of the season before Docherty joins in the summer.

Does anyone really have loads of photos of them at Firhill from several decades ago? I started going early 1980s as a lad but other than a few photos and references in the programs to me being mascot there’s not that much. My dad has been since the 1960s but cameras weren’t as available as much back then, there was no social media or Mobile phones with cameras where it’s so easy to take photos now. My dad and uncles went to the 1971 cup final but they have no photos of them being there.  Don’t even think many supporters brought cameras to games etc back then

22 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

According to someone on our fans page, MacKinnon's not happy with a loan move - would rather be paid up by Accies and move to you guys permanently.

When is he out of contract m74? 🤔

14 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
22 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:
When is he out of contract m74? emoji848.png

End of this season.

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out then. Unless he's wanting an 18 month deal? Couldn't blame him at his age.

45 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

While there is no doubt some rewriting of history going on here (with Low's usual PR disaster paw prints all over it), I would question whether the week of his funeral  is the time to be embarking on a rant about how much of a fan CW was. 

It's also very possible that he went to games in his youth, with people who don't post on this particular forum where you are demanding answers, then became a more passive fan who only made it to Firhill occasionally - but who still regarded himself as a fan.  Why does it matter?

"Far less than 5% of his wealth" sounds extremely sour-faced and ungrateful when talking about someone who has put millions into the club. He didn't need to do that.  If anyone else out there also wants to put a few million quid into Thistle, they can photoshop themselves into photos of the 1971 League Cup final and put them on the covers of match programmes for all I care. 

I share the concerns of many about what exactly is happening with 3BC from here on in, but I would suggest that maybe it's Paul Goodwin that needs to be scrutinised in terms of his motivations and claims to be a Jags fan, not our recently deceased benefactor who has undoubtedly helped us out in a big way in recent years.

Sorry if you seem to think i was ranting, far from it, i'm very relaxed about the whole situation. 

If anyone was ranting i'd suggest it was those responding to me last night especially the guy who became quite abusive about me posting on WAT.

I don't think i demanded answers of anyone.  it's quite surprising how you have misread my posts.

Again, you seem to be looking for something thats not there, i've never been ungrateful for the amount of support he has provided.

39 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Does anyone really have loads of photos of them at Firhill from several decades ago? I started going early 1980s as a lad but other than a few photos and references in the programs to me being mascot there’s not that much. My dad has been since the 1960s but cameras weren’t as available as much back then, there was no social media or Mobile phones with cameras where it’s so easy to take photos now. My dad and uncles went to the 1971 cup final but they have no photos of them being there.  Don’t even think many supporters brought cameras to games etc back then

no, they probably don't. 

but i'm sure every fan has at least one picture of them in Thistle colours, right?

11 minutes ago, dave.j said:

no, they probably don't. 

but i'm sure every fan has at least one picture of them in Thistle colours, right?

Photo or it didny happen, amma right?!

But honestly man, take the rest of the day off.

It doesn't matter if Weir thought we played in black and white and called us Patrick to his mates. He shared some of his wealth with our club, helping is to become debt free and revolutionising our youth system. That is all that matters. May he rest in peace. End of story.