The Partick Thistle thread

34 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

I’m not sure the squad is quite as bad as people suggest.

Fox, Kakay, Cole, Slater and Miller are pretty good.
Penrice, O’Ware, McGinty, Palmer, Bannigan and Gordon can play ok.
Cardle and Zanatta are in wretched form but can’t be written off entirely.

Hiya Gary.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  In theory the squad isn't that bad, but in practice they're...well, they're what you see on the pitch.  They're utterly devoid of confidence, and clearly have a tendency to turn into absolute shitebags.  With a bit of a boost in morale, I expect we'd see better performances, as the players clearly have it in them, especially ones like Cardle and Zanatta.   I expect if they're confident we'll see much better results.  

But having said all that, we still need major surgery on this team, even if that's just to get some of the shitebags out of the firing line and bring some belief into the squad.  We can't just sit there and hope that Cardle and co suddenly decide one day to start playing again.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  In theory the squad isn't that bad, but in practice they're...well, they're what you see on the pitch.  They're utterly devoid of confidence, and clearly have a tendency to turn into absolute shitebags.  With a bit of a boost in morale, I expect we'd see better performances, as the players clearly have it in them, especially ones like Cardle and Zanatta.   I expect if they're confident we'll see much better results.  

But having said all that, we still need major surgery on this team, even if that's just to get some of the shitebags out of the firing line and bring some belief into the squad.  We can't just sit there and hope that Cardle and co suddenly decide one day to start playing again.

That is very true in some cases. Firhill can be an unforgiving place if you are out of form.  I have never understood so called supporters booing specific players. The cheering when Zanatta got subbed last weekend was ridiculous. A guy, obviously low in confidence, is not going to get it restored when that happens. When he scored on Tuesday it looked like a massive weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he started playing with a bit of freedom. 

34 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

That is very true in some cases. Firhill can be an unforgiving place if you are out of form.  I have never understood so called supporters booing specific players. The cheering when Zanatta got subbed last weekend was ridiculous. A guy, obviously low in confidence, is not going to get it restored when that happens. When he scored on Tuesday it looked like a massive weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he started playing with a bit of freedom. 

There was booing immediately after the final whistle on Tuesday, while I can understand frustrations, I really don't think it's necessary or going to improve the situation. 

It's interesting to see the coverage of this outside of Scotland.  Whenever it's mentioned, it's talked about how amazing it is that the club's being "given back to the fans" and how great it is that a lottery winner bought the club to give back to said fans.  It's almost like nothing could possibly go wrong.

The funding for the Academy, PTFC Women and potential training facilities is good news.

However folk won't be getting the bunting and marching band organised until they know how the board and the fan ownership element is set up.

The interim board certainly seems like a revisit to the Jaqui Low era. With most of the previous board happy to move on following Weir's majority shareholding purchase I guess it's not a shock to most that Mr Weir's acquaintances seem tohave filled the void. 

It would be mental to go wholly down that road again. Hopefully the board and trust focus on sustainable development rather than tipping money down a drain.

It's never dull at Firhill apart from when the team are playing 😉

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Anyone who even questions Low’s involvement on social media is immediately rounded on by her little band of sycophants. For a club that is striving towards fan ownership, the lack of transparency is worrying. 

Our fans are so divided over things like this, which is one of the reasons I have no faith in fan ownership working at our club. It’s going to be a proverbial hung parliament of an ownership model, with all these daft trusts and groups wanting different things, backing different people and spending the whole time writing big statements and arguing over everything.

That and the fact we have so many happy clappers, simply satisfied with the club existing. Happy with being rubbish as long as there are “Thistle men” like Britton, Rough, etc involved. How will fan ownership work if a decent percentage of your owners’ definition of success will be nothing to do with actually achieving good things on the football pitch?

28 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Our fans are so divided over things like this, which is one of the reasons I have no faith in fan ownership working at our club. It’s going to be a proverbial hung parliament of an ownership model, with all these daft trusts and groups wanting different things, backing different people and spending the whole time writing big statements and arguing over everything.

That and the fact we have so many happy clappers, simply satisfied with the club existing. Happy with being rubbish as long as there are “Thistle men” like Britton, Rough, etc involved. How will fan ownership work if a decent percentage of your owners’ definition of success will be nothing to do with actually achieving good things on the football pitch?

The "they want the best for the club" line always gets me with this.  "What's best" is so massively subjective, and I expect if you ask a randomly picked group of 10 fans, you'll get 10 different answers.

A lot of questions need to be answered.  I'm all for getting any fans interested in having a say to get right to f**k unless they're actually in any way qualified to make these kinds of decisions.

3 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Anyone who even questions Low’s involvement on social media is immediately rounded on by her little band of sycophants. For a club that is striving towards fan ownership, the lack of transparency is worrying. 

Couldnt have put it better myself.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This is over-egged (and who says we Jags supporters can't be drama queens?), but actually expresses the two problems which any new structure will have to cope with: allowing the emergence of majority opinion to make strategic decisions and also allowing a minority view to be expressed. My view is that we can manage those problems with reasonable success.

Most football clubs in the UK don't operate that way. Instead of adopting decision-making by a broader fanbase and growing used to it, their structures are still based on the small factory-owners' approach from the century before last: what we say goes, because we own you. The fear of entering a different, more inclusive era is, at times, almost palpable, but surely the old ways are increasingly inappropriate. They almost destroyed this football club in the time of STJ; another, ostensibly more successful, club south of the Clyde fared even worse; yet another, after trying to find a harbour in various places, has been stranded away from Glasgow and its original fanbase. For the time being, we can relax, knowing that funds are not going to dry up even although there will be financial and personal challenges as a new model is introduced and adapted.

Regardless of the eventual structure, strategic decisions will go wrong sometimes. Others have fared worse: Bayern München had a tax evader as its President; Barça has staggering amounts of debt, with nobody held accountable. Scottish and English football clubs run by businessmen collapse from time to time. For our club's long-term future, it may well be more important that we have funding for the academy. We have a committed manager, a settled home and the glimmerings of a long-term future rather than just racing to reach the end of this or the next season without going insolvent. Little of that is vulnerable to fans' bad or good decision-making.

It’s difficult to overstate how much it stinks that everyone knows Low is back and in control yet she’s still lurking in the shadows with zero public recognition of her involvement. 

Irrespective of whether you trust or like her (I dislike and distrust her), surely nobody can be happy with this weird state of affairs?

Edited by VladimirMooc