The Partick Thistle thread

I was there tonight and GC’s overview was superb, suffice to say if the players put in as much effort on the park as GC clearly does in their preparation then we will be in a really good position. He clearly knows what we need to do to succeed, he spoke about talking to the players about getting away from our image of being “nice” or “soft” and creating a new tougher identity.

All in all it was a superb event and left feeling positive about the season ahead.

2 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

I was there tonight and GC’s overview was superb, suffice to say if the players put in as much effort on the park as GC clearly does in their preparation then we will be in a really good position. He clearly knows what we need to do to succeed, he spoke about talking to the players about getting away from our image of being “nice” or “soft” and creating a new tougher identity.

All in all it was a superb event and left feeling positive about the season ahead.

Totally agree Vinny. I have been impressed at both events. He gives the impression he doesnt suffer fools gladly and that can only be a good thing but he has a sense of humour as well. I have been underwhelmed by the signings and the game I have seen this season but left there tonight thinking he is well up for the challenge!!

All kind of quiet on the takeover front. A colleague here in HK suggests the prospective owners have spoken to the EFL about the deal. He thinks it was a formality and there'll be no problems about control of both a Scottish and an English club.

All yet to be confirmed, of course.

Folk are asking why Thistle. After reading a little about the Moneyball concept that took off at the Oakland A's, there are some parallels with Thistle. I'll not bore anyone with links, there are plenty to be found on Google. I guess they see Thistle sitting in a market that's not tapped out by the Arse Cheeks and has plenty of potential if the asset - Thistle - is worked and managed with that goal (building a low purchase cost business up into something worthwhile and profitable) in mind.

Anyhoo ...

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Moneyball is all about using data instead of conventional wisdom. That data just doesn't exist at our level of football so I'm really not sure what folk are on about when they talk about applying Moneyball to Thistle.

Good point, but it strikes me that someone at NewCity does. There's a McGarry piece in the Evening Times that rounds up the events of the past few weeks. While the tone seems to me to be facetious, McGarry gets around to asking the important question of the glorious returning saviours on the Thistle board: where is the takeover?

Clubs at our level can and do analyse their own data. There are companies that provide data as well. Much like Moneyball it’s looking at the data available from different aspects.

It seems McGarry has the ear of the former board. He’s getting fed bits from them. As said with regards to the proposed takeover we want hear anything until it comes to pass or fades away. I never noticed anything about Hibs’ takeover. We’ve seemingly had bits dropped in by the assumed sellers and their mole.

Gerry Britton alluded to us finding out more in the next few weeks. 

18 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Putting us in a good position financially (which we already were) doesn't mask the fact they were embarrassingly incompetent at running a football club, which is what the majority of the statement primarily focuses on.

The claimed “Good position financially” may be due to £500k parachute payment and significant six figure Uefa solidarity payment in that year’s accounts? 

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

With that choice of testimonial opponent I'm now team Caldwell.

I heard this was the option from the testimonial meeting earlier in the year. Only 6 folk turned up apparently.

Unlikely to get any club sides and they were hoping to get Larsson to but a few extra on the gate.

Hopefully he gets a good turnout nonetheless.

I believe the arse cheeks charge a fair sum to send along their under 19s these days and something like this is likely to get the most bums on seats. 

Would assume the golf days etc make almost as much money as these matches once costs are taken care of. 

Moneyball is all about using data instead of conventional wisdom. That data just doesn't exist at our level of football so I'm really not sure what folk are on about when they talk about applying Moneyball to Thistle.

It can’t be applied to footballl. Just like that xG nonsense which was fortunately short lived, you can’t apply numbers to a sport with so many variables.

Even if you were to try and do that, it takes years of collecting data, teams of scouts and legions of data analysts to implement. There are no clubs with the budget or the capacity to do that in Scottish football.

And to that the fact that idiot journalists seem to think it means “throwing money at players”, and you can safely ignore anything that proclaims to be be Scottish football’s moneyball.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It can’t be applied to footballl. Just like that xG nonsense which was fortunately short lived, you can’t apply numbers to a sport with so many variables.

I think you'll find that xG is still used extensively, and is in fact quite basic compared to some of the other variables that are currently being used.