The Partick Thistle thread

42 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Really struggling to get enthusiastic about this season. 

Have to agree unless something dramatic happens in the market. The team lacks pace and an out and out striker (havent seen Jones yet) and the defence looked ropey on Saturday. Yes its early days so hoping GC can give me some encouragement this evening!!

Edited by Sting777

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

Really struggling to get enthusiastic about this season. 

Guys it's the Championship, I think we have to deal with the fact that we aren't going to assemble a squad of Galacticos.

3 hours ago, Reid said:

Good player but injury prone.

Wouldn't say he's injury prone, Utd crocked him with a tackle in the promotion play offs 2nd leg after he scored against them in the 1st leg, needed an op on his ACL and took half the season before getting back fit enough to play. Played in a few reserve games, scored some goals, but didn't get a chance in the first team that season. Gutted he's away on loan tbh, class player with guile on the ball, and can score the odd goal and turn a game. Hope he does well for you and comes back to us soon.

25 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Guys it's the Championship, I think we have to deal with the fact that we aren't going to assemble a squad of Galacticos.

Like we did, 7 years ago... in the Championship

3 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Look after him please. 

Get him fit and he’ll do a great job for you guys, still very classy on the ball.

Played wing back for us for a spell and done a good job defensively as-well as offensively, but I’d say winger or just off the front man would be his best position. 

Stop

31 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Even with good additions, were mid table-meh at best this season. 

So are all the other teams in my book. Still hopeful of top 4 but that is all it is at the moment, hope!

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17778926.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Old board threatening legal action against those speaking out against them. 

lol

Putting us in a good position financially (which we already were) doesn't mask the fact they were embarrassingly incompetent at running a football club, which is what the majority of the statement primarily focuses on.

Loved Raffa at Ross County.  I had doubts about him being able to do the power of work that Jim McIntyre wanted his wingers to do, but in the final third I think he has the quality and decision making to more than make up for that in the Championship.

I asked Caldwell tonight if any pace being injected into the team and how many further players we can expect. He stated he wants 4 more with a “speedster” flying in within the next 5 hours  hopefully to sign. Rumoured on twitter to be this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Austin

Edited by Sting777

4 minutes ago, Reid said:

I’m presuming it’s 4 more plus Austin. Did he indicate what positions? Hopefully a RB, CB, a 10 and a striker.

He is pretty happy with the defence. Penrice and Williamson can, in emergencies, cover the three main central defenders and Saunders can cover at right back with Penrice and Robson duelling for left back. He admitted we were short of attacking options and pace. I think it will be Austin (if it is him) plus 3. Gerry also stated that he will get a reasonable chunk of Fitzy’s transfer fee if he requires it now or in January. No matter what anyone thinks of Caldwell, I have been at these two meetings and he comes across really well and gives the impression that he is fully committed to getting us challenging this season

I suppose we can always play a back 4 as well if need be. I would have thought we'd have been looking for one more CB but evidently not. Austin assuming it's him will take us to 20 so aiming for 23. Maybe looking for another CM with Slater and Harkins crocked and Palmer only here til January, or will Wilson get a shot?

27 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I suppose we can always play a back 4 as well if need be. I would have thought we'd have been looking for one more CB but evidently not. Austin assuming it's him will take us to 20 so aiming for 23. Maybe looking for another CM with Slater and Harkins crocked and Palmer only here til January, or will Wilson get a shot?

I think one midfielder and three forwards will complete the squad. He was talking Cammy Palmer up big time tonight. If Palmer is the success they expect him to be, the club will go back to Sevco and negotiate an extension till the end of the season.

Edited by Sting777

I was there tonight and GC’s overview was superb, suffice to say if the players put in as much effort on the park as GC clearly does in their preparation then we will be in a really good position. He clearly knows what we need to do to succeed, he spoke about talking to the players about getting away from our image of being “nice” or “soft” and creating a new tougher identity.

All in all it was a superb event and left feeling positive about the season ahead.