The Partick Thistle thread

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

How is the gate money split from the up coming playoffs are all games pooled or are they split gates per game...     

Hearing that both ties will be on BBC Scotland Airdrie home on the Tuesday 7th and return leg on Friday 11th at Firhill..

After the host club takes off 15% for costs of hosting the game 50% of the gate is sent to the SPFL and the remainder is presumably kept by the host team since the SPFL rules don't mention splitting the gates.

@Ad Lib had a post on it early on in the Thistle v Airdrie match thread where I think he said the gate receipts were more than likely cancelled out by additional costs, bonuses for the squad etc or at least that's what it meant for Thistle.

17 hours ago, third lanark said:

A jags fan had rumoured this in January as well though seemed to think there was a chance we may get him in before the end of the January window, though that wasn’t to be and Spartans probably wanted to hold onto him for as long as possible 

Currently at Spartans and I think he was in the youth team at Celtic before.

Do you rate him?  Is he a central midfielder?

Attacking midfielder who can play out wide or as the 10. Came on as a sub against us in the league cup this year and looked quite lively.

He played the full game against you lot but there doesn't seem to be any highlights online of that game.

5 goals and 6 assists for him in the league this season in total but only the 1 goal and 2 assists in 2024.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

After the host club takes off 15% for costs of hosting the game 50% of the gate is sent to the SPFL and the remainder is presumably kept by the host team since the SPFL rules don't mention splitting the gates.

HMRC will grab 20% before anyone else has their hand out.

On 22/04/2024 at 10:32, Pie Of The Month said:

@Ad Lib had a post on it early on in the Thistle v Airdrie match thread where I think he said the gate receipts were more than likely cancelled out by additional costs, bonuses for the squad etc or at least that's what it meant for Thistle.

I was at Firhill last night for a shirt sponsors event and Paul McDonald was at our table and this came up, he does not think there is much if any at all of a financial benefit to the playoffs after everything is taken into account.

1 hour ago, jaggymct said:

I was at Firhill last night for a shirt sponsors event and Paul McDonald was at our table and this came up, he does not think there is much if any at all of a financial benefit to the playoffs after everything is taken into account.

I think we must have made something from the playoffs last year. We had close to 20,000 people at Firhill over the 3 games

4 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think we must have made something from the playoffs last year. We had close to 20,000 people at Firhill over the 3 games

On 22/04/2024 at 10:32, Pie Of The Month said:

Contractual bonuses could be anything really, all depends, but per match and considering there's the manager + at least 11 players, it could pile up very quickly.

Ad Lib points out the VAR cost too which I'd forgotten about entirely and is probably another reason for the chasing it out of Scotland thread...

On 17/04/2024 at 02:42, Ad Lib said:

The SPFL gets to keep half of the ticket revenue (after a deduction to the home side of 15% of aggregate receipts for hosting costs). I'm not sure if the remainder is shared between the two clubs or if the home side simply keeps what's left for each fixture. I think it's the latter.

Based on what the ticket prices were for the games in last season's play-off (and assuming a fairly standard mix of adult and concessionary/kids tickets) my best guess would be that there was about £30k of ticket income kept by Thistle for the Queen's Park game (which saw an attendance of 3750 or so) and about £60k or so for each of the Ayr and Ross County games (which saw attendances over 7000).

In terms of impact on profitability, you then have to subtract (a) actual hosting costs (b) player and management team bonuses (c) the additional VAT liability on sales, and in the case of the Ross County game (d) installation and operation of VAR costs.

My understanding of what this meant for Thistle (though it may not be the case at other Clubs) is that these things roughly cancel out and that being in the playoffs, per se, has no significant impact on profitability. What actually matters for profitability is final league placing, because that directly impacts prize money.