The Partick Thistle thread

So many players have contributed so much in the last month, but trying to think now who played well pre-break. 

If you were to list the five players who contributed most to the promotion? Seems like a fun Friday morning task. 

1. Tiffoney

2. Brownlie

3. Graham

4. Cardle

5. Bannigan

(actually really tricky when you try!)

Tiffoney, Rudden and Bell (sounds like a firm of Edinburgh solicitors) along with a much-improved Bannigan have been important this month, but pretty much everyone has put in good performances since we suddenly hit form.

As lots of other folk have said, I can't believe we've just done this after the pit of despair we were in at half time against East Fife in the same calendar month.  Absolutely incredible.  If McCall sold his soul to the devil that half time, then all I can say is thanks Ian.

Edited by VictorOnopko

2 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Feels good man. 

Seaside league feeeneshed. 

Has anyone checked on that odd St Mirren “fan”? The visits from opposition fans fairly dried up recently, and him in particular.

Strange one, that - they all seemed so interested in us up until about March.

57 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

So many players have contributed so much in the last month, but trying to think now who played well pre-break. 

If you were to list the five players who contributed most to the promotion? Seems like a fun Friday morning task. 

1. Tiffoney

2. Brownlie

3. Graham

4. Cardle

5. Bannigan

(actually really tricky when you try!)

Pre-break, I have no idea really. Maybe Sena, Brownlie, Graham, Docherty... Wright?

Post break: Tiffoney (by a mile), Graham, Rudden, Bell and Foster.

It goes from “how do I pick 5?” to “who do I leave out?”

Pre-break, I have no idea really. Maybe Sena, Brownlie, Graham, Docherty... Wright?

The one piece of sense that came from Michael on commentary last night was that it was hard to argue against any player being kept for next season. Mccall has said it's unlikely Bell, Geggan etc will be there. I would take Wright on loan again and there's no doubting we should do everything to get Tiffoney. I'd give Foster another season as well

1 minute ago, jaggyness said:
5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The one piece of sense that came from Michael on commentary last night was that it was hard to argue against any player being kept for next season. Mccall has said it's unlikely Bell, Geggan etc will be there. I would take Wright on loan again and there's no doubting we should do everything to get Tiffoney. I'd give Foster another season as well

You had to really look for one of those!

He's right though, and that's very rare for us.  I can't remember a season where we didn't have a long list of players we were happy to punt.  Guess it'd be the Championship winning one?

Don't want to be the first one to be the miserable b*****d but we need to be careful not to be blinded by recency bias and take into account we're playing up a level next season 

From what I can see,

under contract

Keepers: none

Defenders: Brownlie, Sena, McKenna, O'Ware

Midfielders/ Wingers: Bannigan, Docherty, Murray, Lyons

Forwards: Graham, Rudden

Out of Contract (or loan end)

Keepers: Sneddon, (Wright)

Defenders: Foster, Penrice, Williamson (Bell)

Midfielders/ Wingers: Cardle, Gordon, Reilly, (Tiffoney, Erskine, Geggan)

Forwards (MacIver)

Williamson has signed a pre-contract with Falkirk- though he may be trying to Richard Brittain it and tear it up rn- and rumours Penrice has also signed elsewhere prior to our recent charge up the table.

With the blindingly obvious exception of Tiffoney I'm not sure how many of the out of contract guys or loanees I'd have back. Of the older heads I'd agree about Foster as he got better as the season went on and still seems pretty rapid for a 35 year old. Think we'll keep Sneddon as well but I'm still not convinced by him. 

If we get Tiffoney back though we'll at least be exciting to watch next season (there, end on a happy note 🙂 )

Don't want to be the first one to be the miserable b*****d but we need to be careful not to be blinded by recency bias and take into account we're playing up a level next season 
From what I can see,
under contract
Forwards (MacIver)
Williamson has signed a pre-contract with Falkirk- though he may be trying to Richard Brittain it and tear it up rn- and rumours Penrice has also signed elsewhere prior to our recent charge up the table.
With the blindingly obvious exception of Tiffoney I'm not sure how many of the out of contract guys or loanees I'd have back. Of the older heads I'd agree about Foster as he got better as the season went on and still seems pretty rapid for a 35 year old. Think we'll keep Sneddon as well but I'm still not convinced by him. 
If we get Tiffoney back though we'll at least be exciting to watch next season (there, end on a happy note [emoji846] )

This is very fair. I would say whilst it's hard to argue against keeping any of the current squad I wouldn't be looking to keep the likes of Cardle, Bell, Geggan or Williamson. Either didn't perform well enough last season at that level or haven't shown enough to suggest they can play week in week out next a division up. Sneddon just doesn't fill me with confidence for some reason despite his recent good performances

ETA add Reilly to the let go list

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

From what I can see,

under contract

Forwards (MacIver)

If we get Tiffoney back though we'll at least be exciting to watch next season (there, end on a happy note 🙂 )

Would give Sneddon a contract, although Wright may be a better option (if available). 

Foster has been excellent recently so definitely worth another year. 

The difficult one is Cardle. Not sure where is in now in the assists chart, but will be very near the top. Definitely seems better as a sub though. 

Banzo’s mentality on the pitch has utterly transformed this month or so. I’ve not seen him be that positive minded consistently since probably when he picked up that season long injury. It’s a delight to see. When he plays further forward it also plays into Docherty’s strengths as they’re then not trying to do the same job.

Tiffoney has clearly brought an urgency to the team since the break but I think Rudden is in a way better place mentally too. Both of these things have taken the pressure off Graham to be the sole provider, which has actually helped his game too.

Add in Bell providing much needed maturity, calm and steel to the defence and everything has just been so much better balanced.

I'd be fine with Foster and Penrice getting new deals from those out of contract. On the fence about Sneddon and Cardle, while Williamson, Gordon and Reilly can go.

Obviously get Tiffoney back if possible, and would be happy to see Bell back in the squad if he fancies another crack at full-time football but I doubt it. Would be okay with Wright - but Geggan, Erskine and MacIver obviously won't return.

Spoiler

I don't see there being a problem getting Foster signed up so I think we'll be looking at 3/4/5 new faces in the starting eleven next season (depending on the goalkeepers and Tiffoney). It's a good base to build from IMO.

?

? - Brownlie - ? - Foster

? - Docherty - Bannigan - ?

Graham - Rudden

Keep: Sneddon, Brownlie, Foster, Bannigan, Cardle, Graham, Rudden. Obviously Tiffoney aswell if we can.

Penrice, Gordon and Sena may be helpful as squad filler but I wouldn't push the boat out for them. O'Ware can f**k off, and the rest can be thanked for their efforts.

I thought Penrice had a great game. He seems to be this generations Bobby Law either sugar or shite in people’s eyes. I thought he was great last night, if McCall can get him playing like that next season he could become a valuable asset. 

I’d keep Cardle, on the understanding that he would be on the bench most weeks. Did McCall not say something about him having one good season left in him at the start of the season?

I’d keep Sneddon too, but I’d definitely be looking for a starting goalkeeper. And, as everyone has already said, we should be absolutely begging Livi to let us keep Tiffoney.

Keep Foster, not arsed about Gordon but I expect we’ll keep him. Penrice and Williamson already away, apparently. Punt Reilly and the rest of the loanees.

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d keep Cardle, on the understanding that he would be on the bench most weeks. Did McCall not say something about him having one good season left in him at the start of the season?

I’d keep Sneddon too, but I’d definitely be looking for a starting goalkeeper. And, as everyone has already said, we should be absolutely begging Livi to let us keep Tiffoney.

Keep Foster, not arsed about Gordon but I expect we’ll keep him. Penrice and Williamson already away, apparently. Punt Reilly and the rest of the loanees.

Where’s Penrice meant to be going m8?