The Partick Thistle thread

I'd agree with the season being a write-off.  I expect we'll take our place in the playoffs, maybe even 4th and come up against...Arbroath I guess?  We'll lose to them in the semis and that'll be that.  I'd usually be inclined to give managers time, but the approach after the return sets alarm bells ringing.  As soon as the final ball of the season is kicked, they can all get punted.  I don't see the point in doing it any earlier with just five (or nine possibly) to go.  

But if he takes to the dugout with his assistants when the next season kicks off, I'd be worried.

I've been holding onto the hope that this is a rehash of the 2005/6 season where we were terrible after relegation to the third tier, scraped 4th, then won the playoffs against a team from the North East  playing in blue. The first place that falls down is that even if we did finish 4th (which is far from a guarantee) the Championship club won't be a basket case like that season's Stranraer team were (IIRC they only named 13 players for the second leg, and still beat us on the day).

I would support a change of manager but think there's no chance it happens until promotion is out of the window so whether that's after game 18,22, or the playoffs. Even then he's probably still got the ego to blame the fixture list / pandemic / injuries for his own faults- the interview last night was a textbook "look over there" deflection.

Actually on that interview it annoyed me he said "2 players had knocks",  why not say (for example) "Tiffoney and Wright picked up knocks against Airdrie, that's why they didn't start"  which is a bit more honest.

Edited by Fuctifano

4 hours ago, banditjag said:

Hard to argue with this. What is the worst crime here is how unfit and unprepared we are compared to part time teams. We have all day every day to identify an effective system and get it drilled into a first team. All day to work of fitness, stamina, skills, such as passing to their own team. Practice hitting a target even. The players can be seen driving into training anything between back of 9 and are all gone come 12. I'm not starting rumours but I've never seen McCall arrive or leave training. I'm not in the area every single day but have seen the car park emptying at 12 and have seen both assistants. Just wondering if our manager ever takes training. I might be and probably am naive to such things but what does a manager do at this level if the coaching team do the training.

Just to correct you on this Ian McCall has been at every training session since we started back in August.

3 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

From the style of play you can see that it is Archibald that is in charge at training. It’s the same unadventurous side to side slow cautious rubbish that was played post top 6. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a role in recruitment as well, as most recent signings are truly awful.
McCall, Archibald and Scally need sacking today to try and salvage the season.

This is categorically wrong. I'm not going to defend or excuse the style of play, but if you think that AA just decides everything the squad do at training, you are completely wrong. I might have picked you up wrong though.

no more excuses we have spent money on players and players have left truth is we are worse off than we were when Archie left .whatwe are watching on the field is horrendous. I would honestly take Lennon  as our manager  McCall said he had unfinished business was it to get us relegated again

1 hour ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Just to correct you on this Ian McCall has been at every training session since we started back in August.

This is categorically wrong. I'm not going to defend or excuse the style of play, but if you think that AA just decides everything the squad do at training, you are completely wrong. I might have picked you up wrong though.

Glad we all now know that McCall and co are to blame then.

13 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

Glad we all now know that McCall and co are to blame then.

I don't think that has ever been in doubt? The management team are ultimately responsible for the results on the pitch, like every other club across the world. Not sure what you are trying to get at. 

It is unfathomable that a chair and exec who presided over two relegations and two failed management teams is still in charge of the club.

Without appearing to offer my support to the current custodians of the club, I can say that's incorrect.

I wouldn't write off your season just yet. We still have Airdrie and Cove away to play, Clyde and our nemesis Goodwillie at home and away at Peterhead. We will drop points. And that's just to get to the 18 game mark. We were absolutely honking last night, and tbh we have created nothing since the return in terms of chances against Montrose or Forfar. Got very lucky in both games. Last night just showed what a dire outfit we are. If this goes 22 games we will bottle it if we don't before then. 

18 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I wouldn't write off your season just yet. We still have Airdrie and Cove away to play, Clyde and our nemesis Goodwillie at home and away at Peterhead. We will drop points. And that's just to get to the 18 game mark. We were absolutely honking last night, and tbh we have created nothing since the return in terms of chances against Montrose or Forfar. Got very lucky in both games. Last night just showed what a dire outfit we are. If this goes 22 games we will bottle it if we don't before then. 

Not a chance we’re catching you. You may well drop points, but we’ll drop just as many, if not more. 

20 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I've been holding onto the hope that this is a rehash of the 2005/6 season where we were terrible after relegation to the third tier, scraped 4th, then won the playoffs against a team from the North East  playing in blue. The first place that falls down is that even if we did finish 4th (which is far from a guarantee) the Championship club won't be a basket case like that season's Stranraer team were (IIRC they only named 13 players for the second leg, and still beat us on the day).

I would support a change of manager but think there's no chance it happens until promotion is out of the window so whether that's after game 18,22, or the playoffs. Even then he's probably still got the ego to blame the fixture list / pandemic / injuries for his own faults- the interview last night was a textbook "look over there" deflection.

Actually on that interview it annoyed me he said "2 players had knocks",  why not say (for example) "Tiffoney and Wright picked up knocks against Airdrie, that's why they didn't start"  which is a bit more honest.

Agree fully will all you say. I found his interview both predictable and disappointing.

If we were in the top league I would perhaps get vagueness as there is so much professional scrutiny by other clubs to get an edge, that managers are understandable cautious about what they say so as not to give anything away to other teams who are trying everything to get an edge but this is diddy league stuff. No one other than that teams fans pays any real attention. So ffs Ian, be open, be transparent. It's a huge concern to me, and other Thistle fans I know, that his mantra is "disappointing", " not good enough", "must do better" etc etc.

We fans urnae daft, tell us where it went wrong, or what exactly it was about the play, or the game plan you were disappointed with and more importantly tell us what the f**k you intend to do the change that problem, improve that concern. We are interested, we do want to know and try and understand. And know what, we are bright and knowledgeable enough to understand the dark secrets of football management. AND WE FUCKING CARE. CARE DEEPLY.

Sorry, rant over. Just very frustrated.

20 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Thanks for that update, good to know. I've no doubt he cares and is professional, I'm just scrambling to understand why his most recent team, Ayr, had a swashbuckling edge (from snippet on TV and 2 ayr untd fan pals) and our team is back being an archie side to side, jittery, slow one. 

But I still want this management team and playing team to be successful but my faith is being worn down.

Edited by banditjag
Spooling mustook

On 30/03/2021 at 22:33, Midlife Crisis said:

Archie would be punted with McCall. You can see from the shape and tactics the influence that Archibald has - side to side, overly cautious, backwards play, fill the squad with players who are past their prime or just talentless, plus blind loyalty to players such as Bannigan  who are clearly beyond their best days.

The boy Scally must love this free ride he gets. 

So weak is McCall as a manager, he might as well step aside and let Archie back in the managers door.

4 hours ago, dave.j said:

The boy Scally must love this free ride he gets. 

So weak is McCall as a manager, he might as well step aside and let Archie back in the managers door.

I'm not sure its weakness tbh. Maybe more laziness or arrogance.

I think McCall is trying to replicate what he done with Ayr but with Archie in place of Sandy Stewart. A guy who is looking increasingly like he was the brains of the operation.

Just saw the 2nd goal for Utd, why the f**k did nobody run to the ref and put any pressure on him to check on the push?

Streetwise/shit-housery not being taught to these shitebags?

Edited by cilitbang

24 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Just saw the 2nd goal for Utd, why the f**k did nobody run to the ref and put any pressure on him to check on the push?

Streetwise/shit-housery not being taught to these shitebags?

Cause we are weak hearted and just weak. The players are an embarrassment but none more so than a lot of our fans who are just happy to exist with no actual ambition. This is how far we have fallen!

11 minutes ago, The Firhill Frozen Pie said:

Cause we are weak hearted and just weak. The players are an embarrassment but none more so than a lot of our fans who are just happy to exist with no actual ambition. This is how far we have fallen!

Interesting. How many is a lot? 

46 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Interesting. How many is a lot? 

Quite a lot, just look at the forums. People always making excuses for underachievement. We need to be bad b*****ds again. In my 35 years of following Thistle we only seemed to have a pair when Lambie was around. The rest of the time, even our top 6 season we had a soft edge to us. I know it is the way of the world now to be soft with no backbone but surely there are some real football players still out there?

Interesting reading a few comments on We Are Thistle and they suggest we don't have a scouting system of any sort at the moment. Even one post stating our ex Chief Scout Martin Christie fucked off to Forfar on the quiet based on his linkedin ffs. Infact a quick linkedin search suggests our entire scouting dep went to Forfar, two other lads went to Forfar from us around the same time as him.

The club just feels so amateurish and without any vision. Even if thats not true it would be nice if someone would clarify what the f**k is going on. Likewise with the ownership and the training ground. Its as if everything gets swept under the rug in the hope it disappears and no one asks any questions ever again.

Edited by Benidorm

37 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Interesting reading a few comments on We Are Thistle and they suggest we don't have a scouting system of any sort at the moment. Even one post stating our ex Chief Scout Martin Christie fucked off to Forfar on the quiet based on his linkedin ffs. Infact a quick linkedin search suggests our entire scouting dep went to Forfar, two other lads went to Forfar from us around the same time as him.

The club just feels so amateurish and without any vision. Even if thats not true it would be nice if someone would clarify what the f**k is going on. Likewise with the ownership and the training ground. Its as if everything gets swept under the rug in the hope it disappears and no one asks any questions ever again.

Maybe the scouts were put in place by Caldwell who's best mate is the Forfar manager....