The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, JudgeMudge said:

I was pretty shocked by how down he seemed about everything. 

Yes. He seems stressed and unhappy - not exactly raring to go - which you would hope he might be prior to the restart of a shortened season with a full-time team in a part-time division, with ground to make up.

Also a bit surprising to hear him say he had no idea why Erskine left the club, and that we were in "big big trouble" back when he took the job.  It's good to hear that frankness - but goes against the Low PR line that we are where we are because everyone was nasty to "Partick Thistle Family Club". 🤢 

I didn’t understand McCall as being negative at all. I found it very honest and realistic.

Not remotely surprised about the Erskine comment. That’s him basically saying “Gary Caldwell was a c**t and he drove a legend out the club. I brought him back for a swansong. Get it up you.” but saying it more politely.

I thought it was a pragmatic interview, the only thing that annoyed me was McCall starting every answer with "Listen....".   I'm listening Ian, it's kinda why I'm watching this

9 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

I was pretty shocked by how down he seemed about everything. 

I’d be pretty down if I had 5 players lined up which an extension to the suspended league scuppered and forced me to bring in the Old Pros. He seemed a bit deflated, but that doesn’t really surprise me, a lot of people are quite deflated just now, if you listen to him on Sportsound you’ll have heard him speak about (like for many people) lockdown has been difficult on him. It was an honest interview, where he outlined why he’s made certain decisions. And good to hear an injury update, more positive than negative, we’ve just got to go for it now and hope for the the best. 

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Also a bit surprising to hear him say he had no idea why Erskine left the club

As said above, I think that was a dig at Caldwell for the way Erskine left the club, which was quite frankly awful. 

13 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I didn’t understand McCall as being negative at all. I found it very honest and realistic.

Not remotely surprised about the Erskine comment. That’s him basically saying “Gary Caldwell was a c**t and he drove a legend out the club. I brought him back for a swansong. Get it up you.” but saying it more politely.

Yes, I know what he meant by it.  I was surprised he said it and the "big trouble" comment though, because both could be taken as digs at the people still in charge of the club who allowed these things to happen.  I also didn't say he was negative about our team/prospects as such - I just thought he seemed stressed and uncomfortable throughout. 

22 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yes. He seems stressed and unhappy - not exactly raring to go - which you would hope he might be prior to the restart of a shortened season with a full-time team in a part-time division, with ground to make up.

Also a bit surprising to hear him say he had no idea why Erskine left the club, and that we were in "big big trouble" back when he took the job.  It's good to hear that frankness - but goes against the Low PR line that we are where we are because everyone was nasty to "Partick Thistle Family Club". 🤢 

I didn't get that from him at all. If anything i got that he was frustrated as most, if not all L1 and 2 managers must be. He came over as honest and positive to me, especially when referencing the academy players. As Ad Lib and jags GC said above he very carefully offered his opinion on Caldwell and his reference to the mess could have been restricted the team side if things? A pretty accurate assessment.

He's not the kind of guy to be animated with bells and whistles with his performance to camera. I thought it was perfectly pitched, he's hardly gonna come out telling everyone we are going to come out like an cannon and blast out way to the top of the league even if he thinks we will. He's way too experienced for that. Bring on the games now. Quite a good showing this afternoon v hearts, didn't look out of place. 

Pretty happy with the performance this afternoon, given the fact the players haven't played a proper opposition for a few months it was a good run-out for them. Much stronger Hearts team than I had expected, Aidy White and Jamie Walker  playing for example when they both came off the bench for Hearts yesterday, the latter to score the winner. The goal we scored was really nice forward movement from Brian Graham and a decent finish from Shea. The two we conceded were obviously disappointing, but given out previous defensive record this season, I'm not particularly worried about the defence moving forward. Interesting to see if McCall goes with Wright or Sneddon next week, personally I'd continue with Wright. Erskine had a couple of decent touches (and a couple of not so good ones - as is the loveable unpredictability with Chris), and Rudden managed to get through without injury. Wonder why Blair Lyons wasn't in the squad? No mention from McCall yesterday about him being injured, would really like to see a bit more of him. In short, it was a decent Hearts side  and we matched them for most of the game, so little disappointment about the performance, time to replicate it (hopefully with slightly more attacking intent) into the remaining league games. 

Also good on Hearts for providing us with some opposition, to get the match fitness up prior to the league action. 

25 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Good stuff to have 3 right backs on the books (albeit one injured) and play a centre half there. 

McCall said previously he sees McKenna as more of a RB - personally I disagree he’s never looked more than standard at RB, possibly okay to stand in if need be, but much better as a centre half. 

To Ibrox, 100 years ago today, where Thistle were attempting to reach the Scottish Cup semi-finals for the first time. The conclusion of our 4½ hour Quarter Final tussle with Motherwell is at the centre of pt.12, where we'll meet Alex Lauder and David Johnstone, and discover that Jimmy McMenemy wasn't the only Jag holding a previous Scottish Cup winners medal...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 12 →

21-ibrox.jpg

Saturday 20 March – Cove Rangers – HOME 15:00

Saturday 27 March – Airdrieonians – AWAY 15:00

Tuesday 30 March – Forfar Athletic – HOME 19:45

Tuesday 6 April – East Fife – AWAY 19:00

Saturday 10 April – Peterhead – AWAY 15:00

Tuesday 13 April – Clyde – HOME 19:00

Saturday 17 April – Montrose – HOME 15:00

Tuesday 20 April – Dumbarton – AWAY 19:45

Draw, Lose or Draw is back! Listen in as we discuss our new signings, preview Saturday’s clash with Cove, chat to Cove match reporter for the Press and Journal/Evening Express, Jamie Durent, talk about the team selection and formation we think will be used for the remainder of campaign and chat about the 22 game season and the split.

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
12 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:
Cringing like f**k seeing our fans trying to latch onto this.

Genuine question though.

Apologies. I saw a few tweets during the week where our fans were trying to link the call ups to the success of our academy which is a bit of a leap to say the least.