The Partick Thistle thread

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

9am pitch inspection so I doubt it'll be warm enough by then to have thawed the pitch.

It's superficially a fair question but even with hindsight there are very few who would have kept Caldwell on and I doubt his intention was to provoke some introspection. The problem is that the club's issues were fourfold: shite players, shite manager, deep-rooted institutional rot, and continual board room uncertainty. Replacing the manager was the right call but the other three obviously take time to correct.

I certainly don't think we'd have been relegated under Caldwell last season. 

You can argue that we would have stayed up without Caldwell, either by the season being played to an end as was expected when the change was made or by replacing him at a different time or with a different manager.

Anyway, that's all hypothetical. I think Caldwell did his best and despite his failings the bulk of the blame for the current situation lies with the board, not with Caldwell or McCall (though since the 3-1 vs Dundee his tenure has been just as bad as Caldwell's).

2 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

We’d have been relegated the previous season if he wasn’t good mates with Scott McDonald. All hypothetical anyway, Caldwell was rightly let go, I was one of the last to back him, but it was definitely the correct decision, in my opinion. 

On 08/01/2021 at 17:20, Jacky1990 said:

No.

Every team in the league plays on the exact same pitches.

If it was the pitches, every team would be in the same boat.

Couple of possible reasons: 

1. We have been unlucky.

2. Our way of training is causing injuries. In which case, someone needs punted.

3. Our physios arent very good at their jobs.

4. We have a punch of players who refuse to play through any niggles.

I said the same thing last year, before the start of the season and only a few weeks ago. 

1/ every club in Scotland has had injuries  but our list is a shambles.

2/ Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out the combination of McCall & Archie training methods is a cocktail for disaster. Look at our historical injury record under Archie & McCall’s at Ayr. Is frightening. Plus we have an inexperienced sports science guy from the academy working with the player  that’s probably a disaster to  

3/ As someone being punted, I think the old physio got the early taxi home. Heard she’s was absolutely hopeless at her job. Prob cost us in the long run. Good news, mew guy from rangers is our new physio. 

4/ our players are soft as  

On 08/01/2021 at 22:37, JagsCG said:

We’d have been relegated the previous season if he wasn’t good mates with Scott McDonald. All hypothetical anyway, Caldwell was rightly let go, I was one of the last to back him, but it was definitely the correct decision, in my opinion. 

It’s irrelevant being good mates with McDonald. Caldwell kept us up under a very difficult situation & having to rebuild a dud squad. I actually don’t think McCall could have done that. On your theory he wouldn’t have because he isn’t mates with McDonald  

But I do also kinda agree, the right decision was to move Caldwell on. Should have been done after the last day of the season and we should have recruited a more fitting manage than McCall. 

Let’s be honest here. McCall has been nothing but brutal for us. It’s an unpopular opinion among us jags. But he has been dreadful. & in all honesty there is no excuse for him. It’s his squad of full time players that he signed. (not having covid as an excuse either, same constraint for every other manager).

Imo If he doesn’t win the league (looks very unrealistic at the moment), or promotion through play offs (if we get that far). Then his performance as a manager is worse than Caldwell’s  

30 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

It’s irrelevant being good mates with McDonald. 

Well actually it isn’t, because McDonald’s contributions on the pitch, and by all accounts off the pitch too was a massive part of us staying up. Caldwell had been trying to get his mate out of retirement for months to help us, thankfully McDonald finally agreed to it, very much relevant I’d say. Although it helped Scott, as much as it helped us, since he decided he wanted to continue playing (albeit in Australia). 

I actually don’t think McCall could have done that. On your theory he wouldn’t have because he isn’t mates with McDonald  

Well, he wouldn’t have signed Scott McDonald, which I think most would agree was a major factor in us staying up. 

Let’s be honest here. McCall has been nothing but brutal for us. It’s an unpopular opinion among us jags. But he has been dreadful. & in all honesty there is no excuse for him. It’s his squad of full time players that he signed. (not having covid as an excuse either, same constraint for every other manager).
Imo If he doesn’t win the league (looks very unrealistic at the moment), or promotion through play offs (if we get that far). Then his performance as a manager is worse than Caldwell’s  

I have to say, i don’t think it’s anywhere near as unpopular an opinion as you think it is, agree with the last point, it’d be pretty undeniable, a relegation and a non-promotion from League One, is quite clearly a terrible record, hopefully that’s not his record come next season obviously. 

Edited by JagsCG

8 hours ago, knighthawk said:

I said the same thing last year, before the start of the season and only a few weeks ago. 

1/ every club in Scotland has had injuries  but our list is a shambles.

2/ Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out the combination of McCall & Archie training methods is a cocktail for disaster. Look at our historical injury record under Archie & McCall’s at Ayr. Is frightening. Plus we have an inexperienced sports science guy from the academy working with the player  that’s probably a disaster to  

3/ As someone being punted, I think the old physio got the early taxi home. Heard she’s was absolutely hopeless at her job. Prob cost us in the long run. Good news, mew guy from rangers is our new physio. 

4/ our players are soft as  

Scally must feel like the luckiest guy in Scottish Football. He takes training with Archibald. But it's McCall & Archie's fault. 

1 minute ago, R&Y99 said:

Could very easily be more than three weeks unfortunately.
Is that the season done for?

I was thinking the same thing, beginning to look increasingly like the season will be null and voided (unless things don't improve massively, very quickly)

I’m not sure if they will null and void it though as if the Premiership and championship continue promotions and relegations will continue with them too. Unless there is no relegation from the championship this season. 

They may do a points per game again. Can’t wait for that debacle all over again if that’s the route they choose to go down.

Right now I’d be more worried about the ongoing future of the club. If this goes on beyond January (difficult to see otherwise as ‘peak’ is predicted for end of February) it gets very hard to see how the fixtures could be made up. Regardless of whether league is null and void or called on current position, that’s no additional income for months and months. Add to this the likelihood of another season in LG1 (or whatever is left after all of this). Doom and gloom.