The Partick Thistle thread

It doesn’t surprise me that Breen is off, if O’Ware isn’t too far from returning as suggested, he’d most likely be 5th choice at the club, which wouldn’t be favourable with him or with Rangers, they maybe feel he’ll get more game time at QOS. 

St. Mirren and Thistle are of a similar size, in terms of support and infrastructure. You've also had millions donated to you by a generous benefactor. So how is it we've just signed Brophy on a pre-contract, recently beat Rangers (a feat achieved by no other club this season, including Benfica) to book a semi-final, have announced we have £1 million in the bank and are looking to become fan-owned later this year, whilst you're...shite?

No offence intended, btw. I've said before that I'd like to see you back in the Premiership. I'm just thinking "there's us but for the grace of God..."

40 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

St. Mirren and Thistle are of a similar size, in terms of support and infrastructure. You've also had millions donated to you by a generous benefactor. So how is it we've just signed Brophy on a pre-contract, recently beat Rangers (a feat achieved by no other club this season, including Benfica) to book a semi-final, have announced we have £1 million in the bank and are looking to become fan-owned later this year, whilst you're...shite?

No offence intended, btw. I've said before that I'd like to see you back in the Premiership. I'm just thinking "there's us but for the grace of God..."

How can we possibly compete? You are one of the top six clubs in the country in all but reality.

4 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Wow!

I've clearly hit a raw nerve! I should've realised you folks will be hurting, especially as you're likely to remain a third-rate side for the next few seasons. :( Best of luck for the rest of the season and beyond...

Edited by Ralstonite

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

thinking back to the top flight season we were relegated, it largely stems from the January window that year where we either had to punt the manager or make some signings. we did neither, relied on injury crocks coming back into the team and hitting form, and from there we never recovered.

Kept the same manager, got off to a poor start with a blatantly garbage squad at the start of the season and punted him after a few games with a poor start. Appointed Caldwell who lucked out with Scott McDonald, who almost single handedly kept us up to avoid a consecutive relegation. Other than that, Caldwell was ultimately a bit shite.

Liam Lindsay leaving was massive to us, he made our whole defence better and guys like Keown + Devine were far poorer once he was away. Never replaced him, didn't really get a fee large enough to do that either tbf.

Finally, I think as unfortunate as it is, club stalwarts like Bannigan, Doolan and Erskine regressed really badly and quite dramatically/suddenly, which hit us really hard. Think Doolan is at Arbroath and Erskine is now in the juniors. Caldwell punting them both, while handled in an incredibly piss poor manner, probably stands up as the right call in the end.  Bannigan is a bit different because his injury record is a factor, was a done deal that he was going to Aberdeen but then he got a nasty injury so ended up staying at Firhill, iirc.

At this point I'm kind of just hoping medium term that McCall can repeat a similar cycle to last time he was in charge; find some decent, talented young players and mould them into a good professional side that, if not world beaters, are at least a good back-to-basics football team. If he's not the guy to get us back to the top flight, hopefully he does the groundwork for whoever does.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

14 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

thinking back to the top flight season we were relegated, it largely stems from the January window that year where we either had to punt the manager or make some signings. we did neither, relied on injury crocks coming back into the team and hitting form, and from there we never recovered.

Kept the same manager, got off to a poor start with a blatantly garbage squad at the start of the season and punted him after a few games with a poor start. Appointed Caldwell who lucked out with Scott McDonald, who almost single handedly kept us up to avoid a consecutive relegation. Other than that, Caldwell was ultimately a bit shite.

Liam Lindsay leaving was massive to us, he made our whole defence better and guys like Keown + Devine were far poorer once he was away. Never replaced him, didn't really get a fee large enough to do that either tbf.

Finally, I think as unfortunate as it is, club stalwarts like Bannigan, Doolan and Erskine regressed really badly and quite dramatically/suddenly, which hit us really hard. Think Doolan is at Arbroath and Erskine is now in the juniors. Caldwell punting them both, while handled in an incredibly piss poor manner, probably stands up as the right call in the end.  Bannigan is a bit different because his injury record is a factor, was a done deal that he was going to Aberdeen but then he got a nasty injury so ended up staying at Firhill, iirc.

At this point I'm kind of just hoping medium term that McCall can repeat a similar cycle to last time he was in charge; find some decent, talented young players and mould them into a good professional side that, if not world beaters, are at least a good back-to-basics football team. If he's not the guy to get us back to the top flight, hopefully he does the groundwork for whoever does.

This.

Plus the constant comings and goings at boardroom level have been disruptive and the whole takeover saga with Chin Lee.

23 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Thanks for the cogent reply, and for not acting all offended. What happened to the lottery money you were gifted? Are you still going to be fan-owned? I think I asked before about that and I got an ambiguous answer.

12 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Thanks for the cogent reply, and for not acting all offended. What happened to the lottery money you were gifted? Are you still going to be fan-owned? I think I asked before about that and I got an ambiguous answer.

Weir originally cleared the bank debt and funded the youth academy for a few years. He didn’t just write a blank cheque for the club to spunk up the wall on players. Kind of wish he had gone down that road, but here we are.

The transfer of ownership to the fans seems to be progressing, albeit slowly. But nothing finalised yet, and with this club who knows?

Edited by Nightmare

12 hours ago, JagsCG said:

It doesn’t surprise me that Breen is off, if O’Ware isn’t too far from returning as suggested, he’d most likely be 5th choice at the club, which wouldn’t be favourable with him or with Rangers, they maybe feel he’ll get more game time at QOS. 

I've never seen this Been guy play before, but if the return of Thomas O'Ware is going to put him down the pecking order, he must be brutal.