The Partick Thistle thread

I have followed Thistle home and away for 57 years I will criticise when we play poorly and praise when we play well, which I am entitled to do watching Thistle over the last few years including our last season in the premier league has been a massive disappointment.I don’t know what goes on in training not much as far as I can see as we are so predictable in the way we we set out our team  formation I was pleased when we got McCall and the signings looked promising if jags fans are happy to scrape into the playoffs then so be it I honestly don’t know where we go from here with our current management team and our current team players who at the moment are being outfought and outplayed by part timers .This is honestly the worst I have witnessed in 57 years in following my team any way merry Christmas and a happy new year

One third of the season gone, one point from 12 against Clyde, Cove, Dumbarton and Peterhead in the 3rd tier, that is totally unacceptable! I understand that in the current climate the club may not be able to afford to sack him but in any other normal season he would have been gone by now. 

3 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

What the fkk have you done to Blair Lyons? The kid was scoring for fun last season in this league but can’t get a game for you? Suspect it’s the difference between having a very good manager and ...

I am loathe to criticise Lyons because his only chances have come from the bench but he has shown absolutely nothing in any of those appearances. He came with a big reputation at this level, it’s time he showed it!!

I am loathe to criticise Lyons because his only chances have come from the bench but he has shown absolutely nothing in any of those appearances. He came with a big reputation at this level, it’s time he showed it!!

Like I said ... you maybe need to look at your manager. Blair wasn’t the finished product last season but SP gave him a bit of slack when he didn’t make the right decision .. it worked .. maybe McCall isn’t as good on the old “man management” as the maestro

6 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Like I said ... you maybe need to look at your manager. Blair wasn’t the finished product last season but SP gave him a bit of slack when he didn’t make the right decision .. it worked .. maybe McCall isn’t as good on the old “man management” as the maestro

Ian McCall’s getting pelters from our fanbase this weekend, and completely rightly so, but if there’s one thing he’s actually good at, it’s bringing on younger developing players. Lyons has been, quite unfortunately, horrific when he’s been given his chances (not just poor decision making, he looks well off the pace, lacks confidence, and gets bullied off the ball almost every time) McCall said he’s struggling to adjust to full time training or something, and that’s why he’s taken time to get up to better fitness levels. The fact, Lyons hasn’t did much when he’s got chances, means he’s not gone to be persevered with, McCall is under massive pressure to win football matches, Lyons, at the moment is a gamble when he plays (of course, you could arguably make that case for several players too though)

The bus stops with McCall, Archie, Beattie, Gerry & CO. jobs for the boys and bringing your pals back has been nothing but a disaster.

Full new management team brought in, for what I imagine was the aim for the playoffs & promotion. Managed to get relegated of the back. 

Now in league 1 with exceptions of winning the league, may not even get into the play-offs at this rate.

Results v Part timers only paper over the cracks. The reality is that we are a god awful team, with a dreadful manager. 

Our squad of full times players and management team with probably biggest budget in the league can’t beat a few part time clubs, who’s players are out grafting during the. Same S**** last year, same S**** this year. 

Common dominator mentioned above, along with the players.

2 hours ago, BdenJag said:

Wasn’t Lyons training full time with us from January? Don’t buy the ‘struggling to adjust to full time training’ argument.

Some players seem to struggle when they move to clubs with higher expectations . At Montrose if he had a couple of crap games then he still knew he'd be in the team the next week whilst at thistle he's got to earn his place and then perform continuously to keep it. Very different situation and some players don't seem to be able to cope with it as well as others. 

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I see Zak Rudden made his injury comeback yesterday and got some minutes.

Always liked him for us - his work rate was outstanding.

Reckon if he gets fit he’ll do well for you - hopefully not next week though.

Like Lyons he has done absolutely nothing since joining, though in fairness to him, he has been injured for about 90% of the time. Like Lyons, time to do his talking on the pitch but the likelihood is that he will pick up another injury in the next few weeks!!

Edited by Sting777

Just now, Sting777 said:

Like Lyons he has done absolutely nothing since joining. In fairness to him, he has been injured for about 90% of the time. Like Lyons, time to do his talking on the pitch!!

Maybe it is an issue with McCall then he’s not getting a tune out of either Rudden or Lyons who both have done well under other managers ?

Is McCall spending too much time on his media work ?

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Maybe it is an issue with McCall then he’s not getting a tune out of either Rudden or Lyons who both have done well under other managers ?

Who knows, but the pressure on him is mounting rapidly.  He is lucky in that in this climate it’s unlikely the club can afford to pay him off and he is also getting spared serious abuse from the stands. 

Lyons has shown absolutely nothing to demonstrate why every other fanbase in the division think so highly of him. That said, I’d have him in the team ahead of Murray, who seems to do absolutely nothing with the ball whenever he gets it. Never thought we’d see a guy who gets less involved that Shea Gordon, but here we are.

I don’t think we’ve ever really seen Rudden when he’s not in the process of recovering from an injury, so it seems unfair to judge him too much. He hasn’t been particularly impressive though. I do seem to recall he looked pretty good against Celtic on his debut and since then he’s had a proper Sean Welsh of a time of it. Hopefully he can manage to stay fit for an extended period and we can see if he’s any good or not.

I’d punt Foster out the side, put Penrice back to left back and have our attacking 3 as Gordon, Cardle and Lyons for next week.

From all of the home games, I've not bought any away streams, we are playing like we did under Archibald when he was manager. Makes me wonder what input and day to day involvement McCall has with this team. Low and this football management team are slowly killing this club.

51 minutes ago, banditjag said:

From all of the home games, I've not bought any away streams, we are playing like we did under Archibald when he was manager. Makes me wonder what input and day to day involvement McCall has with this team. Low and this football management team are slowly killing this club.

Probably it his golf clubs out chipping the ball from one side of the pitch to the other. (And btw that did happen at a previous club) 

I doubt that has much impact on his performance at all. Every manager in the country does things away from their club. Lambie had his pigeons, McCall has talking football with a microphone on front of him.

Let's be honest, it's BBC Scotland, him, Bonner and Miller aren't exactly staying up all night doing research.

6 hours ago, banditjag said:

I don't think he has any input and neith does the assistant manager. This is all Archibald, we need to get that pure b*****d out of the Club. Argh I'm so angry at Archibald. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!