The Partick Thistle thread

I think we do have enough creative sources in the squad, barring a number 10 which McCall is still searching for. Lyons will likely be chipping in with goals and assists like he did for Montrose last season, Cardle did pop up with a few goals and assists last season which he will hopefully add a few more this season. Williamson again is another creative outlet who will be getting assists like he did last year. Murray another I expect to be creative. 

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

I think we do have enough creative sources in the squad, barring a number 10 which McCall is still searching for. Lyons will likely be chipping in with goals and assists like he did for Montrose last season, Cardle did pop up with a few goals and assists last season which he will hopefully add a few more this season. Williamson again is another creative outlet who will be getting assists like he did last year. Murray another I expect to be creative. 

Creative? Really? Cardle is done? Lyons isnt a playmaker? Bannigan is useless and Docherty is a defensive midfielder.  What else do we have?.

Seen some photos of an old game against Hearts on twitter. Really sad to see what the stadium has become especially at the city end. Surely the fans could collectively do something about this, i.e. fundraising to put a small stand or terrace in there. If we are going to be fan owned surely we might as well be proactive as a collective? I always feel that the city end is a real black mark against the club. It looks awful and run down from an image sense, both the bing itself and the neglected old turnstile/ticket area outside, but also in a practical sense, it stops us from getting a lot of neutral events, which given our location is really ideal for, but now we're basically a three sided ground it's problematic when dealing with things like segregation or equal ticketing. Another stand there gives us an opportunity to do things like maybe create a true family section or even to fleece old firm fans at £30 a head when they visit.

I just don't think overall theres enough priority within the club about our infrastructure and our facilities. The training ground seems dead at this point as well and we are back training at places like Lesser Hampden and Huntershill. We are also going to have keep maintaing the Main Stand, which is not cheap as an older structure, although I'd prefer we are able to keep it as it has a lot of character. Too many seats in the NS and JH are bent, broken or covered in dirt as well, especially in the front rows.

On 14/09/2020 at 23:55, JagsCG said:

We won’t be. If it’s a 3-5-2, it’ll be wing-backs, acting as wingers, not defenders. I’m not a 3-5-2 fan but it’s more often than not, an attacking formation than it is a defensive one. It’d be interesting to see what he’d do at the left hand side, because Penrice hasn’t got the attacking qualities for a wing-back, in my view, and Lyons may not have the defensive qualities to play it fully either. 

A 3-5-2 without the right balance and personnel will almost always be pushed back and reduced to a gormless rabble with no attacking intent. A prime example of this was our cup game with Penicuik, when despite the gulf in professional level we had all the appearances of sitting as a 5 with nothing up front. See also Scotland's last two performances.

The last time it worked for us was when we had Dumbuya and Booth able to cover the length of the park fairly well and Adam Barton (when he was good) able to sit in the middle of the defence and step up to allow us to flow between formations. We didn't have players of that type last season and still don't so I'd be very concerned to see McCall's preference for it continue into League One.

Yes but that was only the only way you were securing his signature as there's not a chance we were letting him go in January. Don't think it's the same situation with Livi and Kouider-Aissa.

Maybe so. I don’t think it is unusual for players to be signed and loaned out fairly soon after. We did it with Doolan also.

12 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Creative? Really? Cardle is done? Lyons isnt a playmaker? Bannigan is useless and Docherty is a defensive midfielder.  What else do we have?.

Lyons got 12 goals and 7 assists all together last season, which he will hopefully improve on with us. I would definitely class him as a play maker. Like I mentioned in my previous post we have Williamson who throughout his career has gotten good assist numbers, Connor Murray is another I expect to be a creative outlet. I wouldn’t say Cardle is done and I’m actually glad we kept him, I think he has something to add to the squad in League One a player that can come on and make that killer pass.

Edited by R&Y99

19 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Agreed but It's a bit odd that Livi are sending Kouider-Aissa out on loan so soon after signing him. 

They have realised that he is not Premier League quality and have sent him to your club where he will do well. Great guy who will give his all but I think League 1 is his standard. QP wanted him to stay.

21 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

We did the same with Lyons,I think.

Not really. We signed Lyons in January and he stayed with Montrose on loan (probably a condition of the deal) until the end of the season.

Kouider-Aissa left Queens Park at the end of the season and signed for Livi. He has been on the bench since the start of the season and a made few sub appearances. Now he's been sent out on loan to us.

3 hours ago, Dooflick said:

They have realised that he is not Premier League quality and have sent him to your club where he will do well. Great guy who will give his all but I think League 1 is his standard. QP wanted him to stay.

It would be harsh to judge Kouider-Aissa so quickly from a few sub appearances. I would have expected Livi to have scouted him thoroughly. It's great to have positive feedback from a fan who has seen him play so thanks for that.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

On 15/09/2020 at 23:11, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

3BC has one director. J. Low. Go figure. If you are talking Weir money, who knows, its probably that his estate is all tied up with lawyers just now and will probably take a good while to sort.

And the Academy and women's team are different entities.

All coaching staff outside the 1st team have apparently been given 3 months notice of redundancy 

1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

The last of our players to go out on loan successfully was James Penrice who since returning has been an entirely useless lazy shitebag. Fingers crossed Lyons fairs a bit better than that chancer.

You could argue Niang had a pretty good loan spell, of course yet to see if he can bring the performances for Montrose to Thistle, hopefully he can.