The Partick Thistle thread

I've not really followed club politics too much the past few years through apathy. Don't we already have a Jags Trust and a PTFC Trust? Are these both not already fan organisations that hold shares? I get why fans would be put off by the Jags Trust, but why create a third fan body for the purpose of holding the majority share? Is it that control isn't really being handed over?

Serious question, folks. With Queens Park now turning semi-pro, coupled with Thistle's recent downturn in fortunes, are any of you worried that they might take your place as Glasgow's third club? They have a more illustrious history, too. 

2 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Serious question, folks. With Queens Park now turning semi-pro, coupled with Thistle's recent downturn in fortunes, are any of you worried that they might take your place as Glasgow's third club? They have a more illustrious history, too. 

Not worried. I think its inevitable. 

7 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

The longer Low & co are about, the bigger the chance. I’ll say nah, though.

They have a more “illustrious” history than most clubs in Scottish football, because they were winning competitions which were entered by about 4 teams.

7 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

They achieved more in their first 15 years of existence than we could hope in 150 years. Not just us but more than a lot of premier league teams 

8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Depends on whether this recent splurge is a Gretna-esque race to the top or whether they are building up long term.

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Depends on whether this recent splurge is a Gretna-esque race to the top or whether they are building up long term.

I have just learned that their team is full-time, which I think is extremely profligate and unnecessary for a League Two club. However, they received £5 million from the sale of Hampden.

9 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Third club? 🤔

32 minutes ago, thistledo said:

If Queens Park reached the same level as Thistle and we were regularly competing against each other in the same league I think that would be class. Huge potential for a local derby and rivalry that let's be honest Thistle don't really have at the moment. 

I have always thought we should be natural rivals. We're similar sized clubs, and though not Glaswegian, St. Mirren Park is located just 3.5 miles from the Glasgow boundary. IMHO, Thistle are far more relevant than Morton. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Third club? 🤔

Aye. 

The Thistle Archive tour (2/4) - Players

Our Player's A-Z features every player (1,900+) known to have been listed on a Partick Thistle first-team teamsheet, 1876 to date. At the very least, mini-bios are included for all, even the short-lived obscuros e.g. Kane Hemmings. As things stand, these mini-bios offer no critical insight, but we're open to the idea of extending them in some shape or form yet to be decided, perhaps by a new Thistle Archivist? A big project for someone...

Current squad players carry a fairly comprehensive stats overview for this season, as well as their Thistle career to date e.g. James Penrice.

Every goal in the club's history which can knowingly be attributed to any given player (10391 of 11339) is listed within each player's profile, as are each and every one of the 750+ penalties taken e.g. Chic Charnley.

Looking ahead to the future, our specially applied profile for Alan Hansen gives an idea of how we'd like to shape the player hubs, with several tabs covering every game, Thistle honours, International Caps, Photo Gallery, Stats Watch and more.

Directly related to these A-Z profiles, we've added a major section for player's club connections, with almost 8,000 connections identified at more than 1,400 clubs from all around the world, all the way from Auchinleck to Adelaide. Throughout the site, we're always asking for help; any more connections that you know of, do get in touch.

A couple of mildly interesting Top 10s...

Most connected clubs:
134 - Ayr United
132 - St Mirren
129 - Dumbarton

125 - Falkirk

121 - Rangers
117 - Hamilton Academical
111 - Greenock Morton
109 - Dunfermline Athletic
106 - Queen's Park
105 - Queen of the South

Most clubs:
32 - Ritchie Pacquette
26 - Jose Quitongo
21 - Dave Rogers
21 - David Byrne

20 - Tommy Barber
19 - Andy Roddie
19 - Leon Constantine
19 - Nigel Jemson
19 - Peter Kyle
18 - Chic Charnley
18 - Greg Strong
18 - Jason Banton
18 - Richard Huxford

Finally in the players section, our Squad Stats tables give you a sense of the most important players on a season-by-season basis. Each season's summary table is applied simultaneously as we sign off the match hubs for any given season, so we currently have 40 out of 146 good to go, the rest to follow when time allows.

Any questions / ideas fire away, pt 3 of the tour in a couple of days...

the-thistle-archive.jpg

Edited by The Thistle Archive

32 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I have always thought we should be natural rivals. We're similar sized clubs, and though not Glaswegian, St. Mirren Park is located just 3.5 miles from the Glasgow boundary. IMHO, Thistle are far more relevant than Morton. 

Aye. 

Going back to1998 we’ve only spent 4 seasons in the same division. We always seem to cross over with promotions/relegations, which might explain why Thistle & St Mirren isn’t a bigger rivalry than location would suggest it should be.

I only started going to games around 2000 and was too young to have experienced when our matches with Killie were a big deal, but I think that rivalry existed because we played each other a lot and were always at a roughly similar level (a mixture of that and their natural rivals Ayr being so shite).