The Partick Thistle thread

9 hours ago, jaggymct said:

I have heard that name mentioned also, may be a couple of Rangers loanees heading inbound...

Loanees from the Old Firm, rarely do the business for us. Although, Mayo was pretty decent, the likes of Barjonas, O’Connor, Hazard - the season before, don’t really cut it. If there’s a particularly good young player at them, that McCall wants to sign, then fine, but I don’t think several is a good idea. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

29 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Loanees from the Old Firm, rarely do the business for us. Although, Mayo was pretty decent, the likes of Barjonas, O’Connor, Hazard - the season before, don’t really cut it. If there’s a particularly good young player at them, that McCall wants to sign, then fine, but I don’t think several is a good idea. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

McCall did well at Ayr United with old firm loans eg Kelly, doohan etc.  I think he made a mistake with barjonas, the Celtic lad, partly in that they were almost being thrown from the off into a relegation battle 

it maybe that starting straight from a level playing field may work better. Then again maybe I’m being too generous??

1 minute ago, third lanark said:

McCall did well at Ayr United with old firm loans eg Kelly, doohan etc.  I think he made a mistake with barjonas, the Celtic lad, partly in that they were almost being thrown from the off into a relegation battle 

it maybe that starting straight from a level playing field may work better. Then again maybe I’m being too generous??

Generous? With McCall? Most likely.

37 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Is Breen any good? I honestly don’t know that much about him 

A quick google suggests he spent three years out injured with a hip injury, then struggled with niggles on his return.

Am I the only one tired of us signing players who are injury prone/injured upon arrival?

On 26/08/2020 at 11:08, jaggymct said:

I have heard that name mentioned also, may be a couple of Rangers loanees heading inbound...

There are rumours floating around on Rangers side too that this might be happening.

4 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Or it could be that he doesn’t want to go into the season with one goalkeeper in the squad.

Not suggesting we shouldn't have got a new keeper in.

But I hardly doubt Wright has been signed to sit on the bench as back up. Signing a young keeper who doesn't seem too far away from Rangers* first team squad suggests to me he has been signed as first choice. 

I'm not having a go at his signing either, especially if he ends up being in the Doohan/McCrorie mould. More just an observation about someone I though would get a crack at it this season.

27 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Rangers are picking our starting goalkeepers for us? I don't think so. 

Obviously not.

But there is generally an agreement on playing time with these things. If, for example, Rangers have sent him here with the expectation of playing first team football, then our relationship with their management team might sour and stop them from sending anyone else if he isnt getting games.

Given that McCall loves an Old Firm loanee, I would imagine he'll be under a bit of pressure to make him his number 1. Obvisouly if he comes in and proves to be shite after a few games, then thats a different story.