The Partick Thistle thread

On 27/07/2020 at 15:52, JagsCG said:

Any relegation for our club from any league, is failure, however, last season is in the past now. Quite literally, it’s time to move on, and back the manager to do the job. If he doesn’t, he’ll be out the door, we know that, he knows that. 

It always seems time to put things in the past and move on. Relegations, Doolan, Erskine, McCall's inability to make up ground on part time pish. 

Do you think maybe part of the problem is our wet wipe fanbase?

45 minutes ago, dave.j said:

It always seems time to put things in the past and move on. Relegations, Doolan, Erskine, McCall's inability to make up ground on part time pish. 

Do you think maybe part of the problem is our wet wipe fanbase?

What would you suggest? Not moving on, being stuck in the past? quite frankly the past 3 years isn't somewhere I'd like to be stuck. 

4 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It is to even out the vagaries of cup draws as unlike in the league or 2-legged cup ties there is no corresponding away fixture.  

Yeah this. I cant imagine why it wouldnt be a split gate regardless of whether away fans attend. If none turn up in normal conditions they dont not get a share. In any event if away fans arent allowed they will presumably be allowed to pay the home side for streaming. 

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this. I cant imagine why it wouldnt be a split gate regardless of whether away fans attend. If none turn up in normal conditions they dont not get a share. In any event if away fans arent allowed they will presumably be allowed to pay the home side for streaming. 

Agree regarding the streaming, that said, it isn't a foregone conclusion that "away" fans would get to watch it, because isn't there a situation this weekend where Killie fans aren't getting to watch their game because Hibs aren't allowing it on Pay Per View? Pretty poor thing to do in my opinion. 

58 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Agree regarding the streaming, that said, it isn't a foregone conclusion that "away" fans would get to watch it, because isn't there a situation this weekend where Killie fans aren't getting to watch their game because Hibs aren't allowing it on Pay Per View? Pretty poor thing to do in my opinion. 

Really? Thats bizarre. If the spfl are allowing it (& they are) why wouldnt Hibs want the extra money? 

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? Thats bizarre. If the spfl are allowing it (& they are) why wouldnt Hibs want the extra money? 

Apparently so, I seen some Killie and Hibs fans both complaining about it. Have no idea why, as you say, Hibs wouldn’t want the extra money, it’s the only way to watch the game so there would be tons of Killie fans paying for it. Really strange decision, and unless they revert it, unfortunate for the Kilmarnock fans who can’t get to see their team. 

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The affect that the mentality of any team's fanbase has on results, positive or negative is miniscule.

Individual results maybe but I'd argue having a fanbase like ours which tolerates incompetence to the level we have over the past few years has contributed massively to the situation we now find ourselves in.

If the level of anger those calling for boycotts of clubs have had been directed at the people who got us into this mess then we might not be run by the likes of Britton and Low and who knows what having a decent level of competence at boardroom level could have done for our results over the past couple of years .

Edited by Pie Of The Month

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hibs have some weak excuse up about it "preserving the value of a season ticket", but its presumably a way to try and force their fans into buying season tickets. 

They're expected to have PPV for the rest of the, eligible, home games.

52 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Individual results maybe but I'd argue having a fanbase like ours which tolerates incompetence to the level we have over the past few years has contributed massively to the situation we now find ourselves in.

Blame the fans? Who have travelled up and down the country to watch dross for the past 3 years, spending money every week. You might have a point about fans excepting mediocrity too easily, but it’s not the fault of the fans, that we have just been relegated nor is it the fans fault we’ve been dreadful on the pitch. To say they fans have contributed massively is absurd, in my opinion, and extremely unfair. 

52 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

who knows what having a decent level of competence at boardroom level could have done for our results over the past couple of years .

Most clubs when they are having a good time on the field, are also unified and good off the field, so you are correct there, a good and stable board would have gone a long way over the past few years. Additionally, McCall’s claim that he wants to change the entire mentality of the club is certainly one that should be welcomed then. 

Edited by JagsCG

24 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Blame the fans? Who have travelled up and down the country to watch dross for the past 3 years, spending money every week. You might have a point about fans excepting mediocrity too easily, but it’s not the fault of the fans, that we have just been relegated nor is it the fans fault we’ve been dreadful on the pitch. To say they fans have contributed massively is absurd, in my opinion, and extremely unfair. 

Most clubs when they are having a good time on the field, are also unified and good off the field, so you are correct there, a good and stable board would have gone a long way over the past few years. Additionally, McCall’s claim that he wants to change the entire mentality of the club is certainly one that should be welcomed then. 

You've just created a straw man argument for most of this post. Saying the fans have contributed massively to the situation doesn't mean any of that. To be clear Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton, the Thistle Trust puppets on the board, David Beattie, Alan Archibald, Gary Caldwell and too many players to mention are to blame for the position we find ourselves in. However all of these people were enabled by the inability of our fans to unite and force any sort of change and the fact we're stuck in purgatory in between being run by Jacqui Low and being fan owned with absolute shysters like Paul Goodwin involved as well as being in League One is probably what we deserve.

If you don't think that a section of our fanbase actively supporting Jacqui Low as she ran the club into the ground first time around or supporting Archie even as we struggled in the Championship or lapping up Caldwell's nonsense at the fan Q&As while the rest of us complain online and continue to pay our money every week has contributed to the situation we find ourselves in then I'm not sure anything I can say here will change  your mind.

Let's put this hysterical 'they travel everywhere and pay their money' nonsense to one side. It's irrelevant and most of us do it so it's not some sort of badge of honour which absolves anyone of responsibility for the situation we find ourselves in.

12 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

You've just created a straw man argument for most of this post. Saying the fans have contributed massively to the situation doesn't mean any of that. To be clear Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton, the Thistle Trust puppets on the board, David Beattie, Alan Archibald, Gary Caldwell and too many players to mention are to blame for the position we find ourselves in. However all of these people were enabled by the inability of our fans to unite and force any sort of change and the fact we're stuck in purgatory in between being run by Jacqui Low and being fan owned with absolute shysters like Paul Goodwin involved as well as being in League One is probably what we deserve.

If you don't think that a section of our fanbase actively supporting Jacqui Low as she ran the club into the ground first time around or supporting Archie even as we struggled in the Championship or lapping up Caldwell's nonsense at the fan Q&As while the rest of us complain online and continue to pay our money every week has contributed to the situation we find ourselves in then I'm not sure anything I can say here will change  your mind.

Let's put this hysterical 'they travel everywhere and pay their money' nonsense to one side. It's irrelevant and most of us do it so it's not some sort of badge of honour which absolves anyone of responsibility for the situation we find ourselves in.

You’re right, nothing probably will. I already agreed with you about accepting mediocrity, my response was directly to what you said about fans being a massive contribution to where we are now (I.e getting relegated), I feel that’s out of line, although you seem to have cleared that up now to the extent that how it actually read, wasn’t what you meant at all. Fair enough I’ll accept that. (Whether this relates to what you meant or whether it doesn’t) Fans haven’t massively contributed to where we are now, many many reasons to where we are now, most of which you stated above, all before any blame goes to fans. That’s just my opinion. 

Obviously people can BOYCOTT what and when they like. Personally I'm drawing a line and hopefully get back to following Thistle in October.

Wait a minute, Clyde? F@#k that, I'll go to the next away game instead...

14 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The affect that the mentality of any team's fanbase has on results, positive or negative is miniscule.

Completely agree. So much so, anyone that thinks we shouldn't boycott shithole non entities, because the players need our backing, are just as much of a problem as our clusterfuck of a boardroom