The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

He played a key role in our relegation from the Premiership. And it seems some would rather remember that (only that) and completely forget about the 5 or 6 years of success that came before it. 

Yeah, but our football got worse every season he was in charge. 

The top 6 finish hid a LOT of problems... 

1 hour ago, bad chad said:

I know, I know. We need to take as many negatives as possible from his time in charge. God forbid, we celebrate success.

With all those problems we had finishing top 6, it really makes all those folk demanding we finish higher the season after, look really ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, dave.j said:

I know, I know. We need to take as many negatives as possible from his time in charge. God forbid, we celebrate success.

With all those problems we had finishing top 6, it really makes all those folk demanding we finish higher the season after, look really ridiculous. 

In hindsight, I think most people would probably take just staying in the league the season after. 

Just now, JagsCG said:

In hindsight, I think most people would probably take just staying in the league the season after. 

And yet at the time, the pressure was put on him because we weren't building on some nutters unrealistic target of going above 6th.

48 minutes ago, bad chad said:

I think this is quite difficult to justify.

Even just looking at it objectively, 2014-15 was streets ahead of 2013-14 (we won more games, scored more goals, conceded fewer goals, earned more points and finished higher in the league).

On 11/07/2020 at 15:53, itzdrk said:

He's one of those guys that gets the job done but just takes the most painful route of doing so. 

I tend to agree, i think he will get us promoted next year, i genuinely believe he is an ok manager and nothing more. He should get us back competitive again and i thought he would have turned us around this season. I think a little time will see him do ok with us again. Sorry for the spelling had a little drink in me the last message.

On 11/07/2020 at 15:50, dave.j said:

He's had 5 games off a full season. 

Do you expect everything to turn around in one season? You have a mentality issue to start with. The team then needs time to Gel and adapt to players strengths, you have your opinion i have mine i think we will be ok this coming season but time will tell.

1 minute ago, Yambam said:

Do you expect everything to turn around in one season? You have a mentality issue to start with. The team then needs time to Gel and adapt to players strengths, you have your opinion i have mine i think we will be ok this coming season but time will tell.

I agree with you, we clearly had a mentality problem, which McCall wasn't going to be able to fix overnight, I also think we had/have a problem as a club as whole, that McCall also would need time to fix. On the other hand, the team post-January only needed time to gel because McCall started to rebuild the squad during the season, which at the time, I sort of agreed with. Now though, with the benefit of hindsight it may not have been a great idea, in fairness he wasn't to know it would take as long as it did for them to gel (which I feel they slightly were before the shutdown), and he wasn't to know the season would get halted due to a global pandemic. 

10 minutes ago, Yambam said:

Do you expect everything to turn around in one season? You have a mentality issue to start with. The team then needs time to Gel and adapt to players strengths...

I'm not sure why you're surprised at my expectation that he should have turned it round this season, when in your previous post you said...

14 minutes ago, Yambam said:

i thought he would have turned us around this season.

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

I agree with you, we clearly had a mentality problem, which McCall wasn't going to be able to fix overnight, I also think we had/have a problem as a club as whole, that McCall also would need time to fix. On the other hand, the team post-January only needed time to gel because McCall started to rebuild the squad during the season, which at the time, I sort of agreed with. Now though, with the benefit of hindsight it may not have been a great idea, in fairness he wasn't to know it would take as long as it did for them to gel (which I feel they slightly were before the shutdown), and he wasn't to know the season would get halted due to a global pandemic. 

There is no perfect solution, it worked with Jack Ross and St.Mirren and its failed countless times with other managers its about perception of what he has and what he needs ti address. I dont blame McCall as everyone was bleating about the state of the team and the shitbags within it, if he didnt change it and if he did change it and it didnt work right away he would be blamed. I am in the camp of give him time and a pre season to work it out. If he dorsnt get us promoted this year then absolutely its a fail in his part.

54 minutes ago, dave.j said:

I'm not sure why you're surprised at my expectation that he should have turned it round this season, when in your previous post you said...

I have hope like any supporter and thought the best, but i also wont judge in such a short space of time is my point. I dont think we can just condemn him and say he has failed so easily.

4 minutes ago, Yambam said:

There is no perfect solution, it worked with Jack Ross and St.Mirren and its failed countless times with other managers its about perception of what he has and what he needs ti address. I dont blame McCall as everyone was bleating about the state of the team and the shitbags within it, if he didnt change it and if he did change it and it didnt work right away he would be blamed. I am in the camp of give him time and a pre season to work it out. If he dorsnt get us promoted this year then absolutely its a fail in his part.

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you say. 

6 hours ago, bad chad said:

Did it really? I am asking a genuine question, thistle will always be 1 or 2 players away from being bang average/rotten in the top flight like so many other clubs. I think he done relatively well for us but in no way do i want him back. I still believe we wouldnt have been promoted under Jackie. He brought Osman, Keown first season, Booth, chezny (spelling might be off) and a fair few others who done well for us, the last year was a disaster agreed however if you look at the past even under Lambie we were a shambles until we brought in Derek Whyte, so 1 player can make or break our team and Lindsay unfortunately for us was that player. 

31 minutes ago, Yambam said:

Did it really? I am asking a genuine question, thistle will always be 1 or 2 players away from being bang average/rotten in the top flight like so many other clubs. I think he done relatively well for us but in no way do i want him back. I still believe we wouldnt have been promoted under Jackie. He brought Osman, Keown first season, Booth, cherny  (spelling might be off) and a fair few others who done well for us, the last year was a disaster agreed however if you look at the past even under Lambie we were a shambles until we brought in Derek Whyte, so 1 player can make or break our team and Lindsay unfortunately for us was that player. 

Higginbotham (especially first season) was a very good signing too. 

8 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Higginbotham (especially first season) was a very good signing too. 

Was he? He scored a wonder goal vs Accies and had a brilliant game vs Motherwell. We lost both...

He was flashy but very inconsistent. Give me Lawless anytime. Lawless has signed for Burton Albion. Higgy is off to Kelty Hearts...

Speaking of Lawless we got him when released by Motherwell, SOD freed by Celtic and Taylor-Sinclair from Montrose after being let go by Aberdeen. We also had Welsh, Muirhead, Forbes and Balatoni from Hibs, Annan, Motherwell and Hearts respectively.

I feel this is the kind of Player we should be looking at this season rather than the jobbers Falkirk filled their squad up with last season and which we seem to have done for the last few seasons.

Young guys who need an opportunity to show their talents. They brought an energy and good team spirit to the club.

That promotion team had Doolan and Erskine in place.  There were a couple of old heads around the squad which teams need. We appear to have that decent core in place.

Docherty, Brownlie, Graham should be decent performers at this level. We will hopefully see Zak Rudden develop and get the goals he is capable of scoring.

I'd say we need a keeper to compete with Sneddon. Similarly a left back to challenge Penrice and a right back too possibly. I think McCall would like another centre back to allow three at the back when required.

O'Ware and Bannigan need to step up and prove McCall's faith in their talent hasn't been misjudged further.

Niang and Lyons seem good additions on paper.

F@#k me I'm getting mildly optimistic about next season...I need a lie down...must be withdrawal symptoms...

2 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Was he? He scored a wonder goal vs Accies and had a brilliant game vs Motherwell. We lost both...

He was flashy but very inconsistent. Give me Lawless anytime. Lawless has signed for Burton Albion. Higgy is off to Kelty Hearts...

In his first season he got 8 goals and 11 assists in the Premiership, I’d say that’s quite decent. He was inconsistent though, I agree, and I do prefer Lawless. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

In his first season he got 8 goals and 11 assists in the Premiership, I’d say that’s quite decent. He was inconsistent though, I agree, and I do prefer Lawless. 

After the the league winning season, what was lawless's goal/assist rreturn like in the top flight?

Pretty shite from what I recall.

10 points to the first person who white knights him, with the obligatory "yeah but he played a handful of games at left back".

1 minute ago, dave.j said:

After the the league winning season, what was lawless's goal/assist rreturn like in the top flight?

Pretty shite from what I recall.

10 points to the first person who white knights him, with the obligatory "yeah but he played a handful of games at left back".

Lawless stats
2013/14 - 5 goals, 4 assists

2014/15  - 3 goals, 8 assists 

2015/16 - 5 goals, 6 assists 

2016/17 - 4 goals, 4 assists 

2017/18 - 4 goals, 4 assists 

(completely unrelated to his time at Thistle, and Thistle in general, but his stats last season for Livi were, 11 goals, 9 assists, probably why he's got his move down south) 

21 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

For everyone blaming Archie for the fall, does he deserve credit for the rise? Was he a good manager when we got us in the top 6 and then became a bad manager?

Yes. Yes. And he can rise again.