The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, JagsCG said:

The only issue  I have with Fitzpatrick, is that we didn't see more of him, would've loved for us to develop him a bit more before his move down south, with Norwich in the Championship (probably) next season, hopefully there's a chance at some point he can get part of the first team squad there, although I'd imagine he'll still a have a bit to go. Their academy is apparently very highly rated too. 

And exactly this. It's pretty discouraging when a hot young prospect breaks into your team, and instead of opting to play for your full team in front of actual fans opts to spend a couple of years plying his trade in front of a few coaches. I get that we could get a sell on fee, but it hardly feels worth the effort to develop them in the first place.

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

And exactly this. It's pretty discouraging when a hot young prospect breaks into your team, and instead of opting to play for your full team in front of actual fans opts to spend a couple of years plying his trade in front of a few coaches. I get that we could get a sell on fee, but it hardly feels worth the effort to develop them in the first place.

This is complete guesswork and maybe completely inaccurate, but maybe he didn’t think Thistle was best to develop, although I don’t know how, because Caldwell was selling it to the fans that he’d have the fittest team in the league with a winning mentality, and ready to combat the league, what young player wouldn’t want to be a part of that, in hindsight he’s probably glad he went when he did unfortunately. As I said the Norwich academy is quite highly rated I think, but I don’t see how academy football helps him. Perhaps we should have tried to get him loaned back for a season? 

8 hours ago, knighthawk said:

Why is McCall untouchable. If this was any other manger every jags fan would be hounding them out the door. Can you imagine Caldwell had this record. Zero wins in 2020 maximum of 3 points. Embarrassed and beat of every part time team & absolutely pumped of Raith. The team that replaces us. If by a miracle we did manage to sneak the play offs. Could you imagine us playing Falkirk. It would have been a total disaster. 

So I am still sticking with what I believe. McCall is a hopeless manager. Look at the context rather than content  

as with two assistants. At this rate we will have more backroom staff than players. ship the lot out. Including Gerry. He is hopeless. If this legal embargo falls south, serious questions need to be asked about his ability to govern a football club and give solid advise from a legal perspective. I mean he is a lawyer. 

As far as saying McCall is great at bringing in youth players. He didn’t bring any academy plays through this season in-fact there were times when we couldn’t field a full bench. But reluctant to have any on the bench (worst case scenario we may have needed one in case of injuries). On that note. Are the youth players good enough. Are they costing money on contracts? Or is McCall just dreadful at providing longevity. I mean think about Sena. Played a few games for GC as did a few other young players. Doesn’t get a chance at thistle goes to league 1 and rips it up. The lad could have done a better job than the Duds he signed.

like any other thistle fan. I’ll wait and see what the future holds. But my question is. If thistle are sitting rock bottom or no wins the first few games of the season do we ship McCall out. That’s been the ascendancy over the last few seasons. 

All managers need a settling in time, i think mcCall will need that also things dont turnaround instantly in football, i expect hin to make us mid level championship bit we will need better if we want promoted again.

Interested to know who would run the club on a day to day basis given we “don’t need a CEO.” I’m not saying Gerry Britton is the best we can get, but the same folk bumping their gums about having a CEO would be doing the same if we didn’t have one.

McCall clearly didn’t do what he wanted to do with us last season but anyone who is saying he’s a bad manager is an idiot. 

1 hour ago, JudgeMudge said:

Are there any youth players who are going to step up this season?

Niang will hopefully be a regular in the team. Hopefully a few more. McCall’s been watching the youth teams and players closely, and is impressed apparently. 

Niang will hopefully be a regular in the team. Hopefully a few more. McCall’s been watching the youth teams and players closely, and is impressed apparently. 
Niang and lyons have experience in league 1 and have looked good at that level. We managed a good mix of youth players and experience which helped us last season. It's the way to go when your looking to rebuild in league 1 while trying to get out of it at the same time.

Probably something to do with the fact, we’ve been awful for three seasons straight. The average match day attendance might be on the slide but it  hardly merits “League 1 is right League for Thistle”. There’s several reasons arguable for where we are, having only 2 and a half thousand fans at a game, instead of 3 or 4, isn’t one of them. Size doesn’t merit achievement, for example, Thistle and Falkirk in League 1, Dunfermline and  Dundee in Championship are all larger than at least 2 Premiership sides. But those Premiership sides deserve to be there and those clubs albeit bigger, don’t. 
Another example is Hearts, who are now a Championship club. Size doesn’t merit League. Also, “Terrible Support” at least they are real faithful football fans, and not glory-hunters and bigots, which you’ll find at the larger 2 Glasgow clubs. 

The 4 clubs you mention are certainly larger than Livingston, Ross County and Hamilton.
I would also argue StJohnstone who are woefully supported despite their continued on field heroics.
You rightly point out league status is earned on the pitch not in the stands and our clubs deserve to be in amongst the “diddies” as that is where our performances have landed us.
(Not getting into the promotion / relegation farce of this summer).

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The 4 clubs you mention are certainly larger than Livingston, Ross County and Hamilton.
I would also argue StJohnstone who are woefully supported despite their continued on field heroics.
You rightly point out league status is earned on the pitch not in the stands and our clubs deserve to be in amongst the “diddies” as that is where our performances have landed us.
(Not getting into the promotion / relegation farce of this summer).

Yep agree, although I always thought St. Johnstone had a decent 2 thousand+ core support, and then when doing well were able to get more than that. Can't be certain but in one of their European games I'm sure they had around 7500 home fans. 

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Niang and lyons have experience in league 1 and have looked good at that level. We managed a good mix of youth players and experience which helped us last season. It's the way to go when your looking to rebuild in league 1 while trying to get out of it at the same time.

Yeah I've heard some good things about Niang and Lyons, especially the latter. 

Yeah I've heard some good things about Niang and Lyons, especially the latter. 
I had hoped we could have got lyons last summer, I had heard we were looking at him. Niang always looked good when I seen him aswell. McCall knows this league. As long as your not as much of a basket case as falkirk you should be good to go up first time of asking. There are some good teams in the league though who will raise their game and make life difficult for you. This is obviously assuming your not reinstated to the championship

13 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

Interested to know who would run the club on a day to day basis given we “don’t need a CEO.” I’m not saying Gerry Britton is the best we can get, but the same folk bumping their gums about having a CEO would be doing the same if we didn’t have one.

McCall clearly didn’t do what he wanted to do with us last season but anyone who is saying he’s a bad manager is an idiot. 

How did the Club run on a day to day basis before we gave Maxi the CEO role as wee sweetener?

19 hours ago, Yambam said:

All managers need a settling in time, i think mcCall will need that also things dont turnaround instantly in football, i expect hin to make us mid level championship bit we will need better if we want promoted again.

He's had 5 games off a full season. 

19 hours ago, Yambam said:

He's one of those guys that gets the job done but just takes the most painful route of doing so. 

22 hours ago, dave.j said:

He's really done a number on you. 

Archie has done a number on the club. He should have been sacked after an abysmal relegation from the Premiership.  But he was kept on and signed a load of duds who were rightly binned by Caldwell.

I can't understand why McCall brought Archie back as first-team coach at the end of his gardening leave. The decline has continued and, after another terrible season, we are now in League One and still stuck with him. A total waste of space and money!

23 hours ago, dave.j said:

How did the Club run on a day to day basis before we gave Maxi the CEO role as wee sweetener?

I suppose the difference then was that Directors (let’s be honest of varying levels of competence) effectively fulfilled that role themselves. Eddie Prentice and the Centenary Fund, anyone?

I think it must have been difficult for Archie returning and adjusting to the new role and situation. I don't see any point in blaming him though or begrudging him of the job. He has spent half his life at the club, he knows the score and at least we know he can be trusted and has the clubs best interests. It is somewhat peculiar the set up McCall opted for but I think Neil Scally is a very decent guy and coach as well. Things are bad enough but I don't see any point in playing the blame game with them at this stage. The players on the other hand.........