The Partick Thistle thread

On 09/07/2020 at 11:40, JagsCG said:

I actually agree with you, he took a massive gamble and it didn’t pay off. I disagree with the last point though, I think he’s a very good manager, as shown at Ayr and other clubs preciously and more than capable at this level, especially (and I have no idea our finances) if we are on a tight budget, where McCall usually does his best work. His record for bringing young players on is also tremendous too. 

Why is McCall untouchable. If this was any other manger every jags fan would be hounding them out the door. Can you imagine Caldwell had this record. Zero wins in 2020 maximum of 3 points. Embarrassed and beat of every part time team & absolutely pumped of Raith. The team that replaces us. If by a miracle we did manage to sneak the play offs. Could you imagine us playing Falkirk. It would have been a total disaster. 

So I am still sticking with what I believe. McCall is a hopeless manager. Look at the context rather than content  

as with two assistants. At this rate we will have more backroom staff than players. ship the lot out. Including Gerry. He is hopeless. If this legal embargo falls south, serious questions need to be asked about his ability to govern a football club and give solid advise from a legal perspective. I mean he is a lawyer. 

As far as saying McCall is great at bringing in youth players. He didn’t bring any academy plays through this season in-fact there were times when we couldn’t field a full bench. But reluctant to have any on the bench (worst case scenario we may have needed one in case of injuries). On that note. Are the youth players good enough. Are they costing money on contracts? Or is McCall just dreadful at providing longevity. I mean think about Sena. Played a few games for GC as did a few other young players. Doesn’t get a chance at thistle goes to league 1 and rips it up. The lad could have done a better job than the Duds he signed.

like any other thistle fan. I’ll wait and see what the future holds. But my question is. If thistle are sitting rock bottom or no wins the first few games of the season do we ship McCall out. That’s been the ascendancy over the last few seasons. 

1 hour ago, knighthawk said:

Why is McCall untouchable. If this was any other manger every jags fan would be hounding them out the door. Can you imagine Caldwell had this record. Zero wins in 2020 maximum of 3 points. Embarrassed and beat of every part time team & absolutely pumped of Raith. The team that replaces us. If by a miracle we did manage to sneak the play offs. Could you imagine us playing Falkirk. It would have been a total disaster. 

So I am still sticking with what I believe. McCall is a hopeless manager. Look at the context rather than content  

as with two assistants. At this rate we will have more backroom staff than players. ship the lot out. Including Gerry. He is hopeless. If this legal embargo falls south, serious questions need to be asked about his ability to govern a football club and give solid advise from a legal perspective. I mean he is a lawyer. 

As far as saying McCall is great at bringing in youth players. He didn’t bring any academy plays through this season in-fact there were times when we couldn’t field a full bench. But reluctant to have any on the bench (worst case scenario we may have needed one in case of injuries). On that note. Are the youth players good enough. Are they costing money on contracts? Or is McCall just dreadful at providing longevity. I mean think about Sena. Played a few games for GC as did a few other young players. Doesn’t get a chance at thistle goes to league 1 and rips it up. The lad could have done a better job than the Duds he signed.

like any other thistle fan. I’ll wait and see what the future holds. But my question is. If thistle are sitting rock bottom or no wins the first few games of the season do we ship McCall out. That’s been the ascendancy over the last few seasons. 

If we don’t go up next season either by promotion or playoffs then he will go

He isn't, Which is why you and others are able to question him

Caldwell, didn't have a good record prior to coming to Thistle, McCall has a very decent recent record at our level, and an ability (as shown throughout his managerial career) to perform at an acceptable level with an incredibly small budget and small resources, as well as previously stated bringing on young players. 

I've already said one of the two assistants need to go, and someone has stated Gerry should go as a CEO isn't needed. You can absolutely stick with what you believe, you are as entitled to your view as I am to mine. I'd say you are wrong, to describe him (McCall not Gerry) as "Hopeless" is something I don't even think Ayr fans who hold a strong dislike for him now would do. He is a good manager at our level as shown in his recent seasons with Ayr. 

As far as saying McCall is great at bringing in youth players. He didn’t bring any academy plays through this season in-fact there were times when we couldn’t field a full bench. But reluctant to have any on the bench (worst case scenario we may have needed one in case of injuries).

Maybe he didn't think the academy players were good enough yet. I can't agree or disagree with that because I haven't seen enough of them, but he does regularly watch our development team (which tells you he's looking to help bring through a few youth players). Or... maybe he didn't think having youth players part of a dreadful squad was a good idea, as it wouldn't help their confidence, or maybe even their development. You'd have to ask him that. 

On that note. Are the youth players good enough. Are they costing money on contracts? Or is McCall just dreadful at providing longevity. I mean think about Sena. Played a few games for GC as did a few other young players. Doesn’t get a chance at thistle goes to league 1 and rips it up. The lad could have done a better job than the Duds he signed.

Well you've sort of answered your last question by questioning if they are good enough. Sena was sent out on loan to Montrose to get game time which he got, McCall was in the door a matter of days when he signed for Montrose, it was probably already prearranged, after we played them in the Challenge Cup under Caldwell. Sena could have probably did a better job but, his loan was extended in January, along with the signing of Blair Lyons, given that several clubs were wanting Lyons, I'd take a fairly confident bet that Sena and Lyons going back on loan was a sweetener to get Blair signed early, and to be clear, it was the fact Sena DID get a chance at Thistle, that let him go to rip League 1 up.  McCall undoubtedly made an error signing a bunch of new players in January, it clearly was taking them a time to gel, time which we didn't have, and we had even less time, through something that no one can be blamed for, that halted the leagues. 

Yes - for me it's not a question, it's a guarantee. If we don't get off to a good start, he's out the door. But McCall will know that. 

Although not relating to anything you said, I have a strange feeling that if McCall was to get sacked, Job would go straight to Archie, but I have no idea why I think that, or why the board would do that. 

22 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

He isn't, Which is why you and others are able to question him

Caldwell, didn't have a good record prior to coming to Thistle, McCall has a very decent recent record at our level, and an ability (as shown throughout his managerial career) to perform at an acceptable level with an incredibly small budget and small resources, as well as previously stated bringing on young players. 

I've already said one of the two assistants need to go, and someone has stated Gerry should go as a CEO isn't needed. You can absolutely stick with what you believe, you are as entitled to your view as I am to mine. I'd say you are wrong, to describe him (McCall not Gerry) as "Hopeless" is something I don't even think Ayr fans who hold a strong dislike for him now would do. He is a good manager at our level as shown in his recent seasons with Ayr. 

Maybe he didn't think the academy players were good enough yet. I can't agree or disagree with that because I haven't seen enough of them, but he does regularly watch our development team (which tells you he's looking to help bring through a few youth players). Or... maybe he didn't think having youth players part of a dreadful squad was a good idea, as it wouldn't help their confidence, or maybe even their development. You'd have to ask him that. 

Well you've sort of answered your last question by questioning if they are good enough. Sena was sent out on loan to Montrose to get game time which he got, McCall was in the door a matter of days when he signed for Montrose, it was probably already prearranged, after we played them in the Challenge Cup under Caldwell. Sena could have probably did a better job but, his loan was extended in January, along with the signing of Blair Lyons, given that several clubs were wanting Lyons, I'd take a fairly confident bet that Sena and Lyons going back on loan was a sweetener to get Blair signed early, and to be clear, it was the fact Sena DID get a chance at Thistle, that let him go to rip League 1 up.  McCall undoubtedly made an error signing a bunch of new players in January, it clearly was taking them a time to gel, time which we didn't have, and we had even less time, through something that no one can be blamed for, that halted the leagues. 

Yes - for me it's not a question, it's a guarantee. If we don't get off to a good start, he's out the door. But McCall will know that. 

Although not relating to anything you said, I have a strange feeling that if McCall was to get sacked, Job would go straight to Archie, but I have no idea why I think that, or why the board would do that. 

If Archie was to get the job, we would be in the Lowland League in 2 seasons. Or bust.

On another note Kevin Nisbet has just completed his signing for Hibs. A player by all means was not good enough for thistle under the watchful eyes of Gerry and Archie. 

Let this set in. He now plays for a club in the premier league - while partick thistle sit in league 1... 

The phrase “I’ll see you on the way down” is ringing in my head. 

We are an absolute *****Show

22 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

On another note Kevin Nisbet has just completed his signing for Hibs. A player by all means was not good enough for thistle under the watchful eyes of Gerry and Archie. 

Let this set in. He now plays for a club in the premier league - while partick thistle sit in league 1... 

There is plenty to criticise Gerry and Archie for.

Nisbet isnt one of them. The player himself admits we were right to release him and that going to Raith made him work harder as it was last chance at full time for him.

Aye, Nisbet seemed to think he's made it by merely getting to our first team and didn't do what was required of him to develop. There's only so much a coach can do in that circumstance, and we didn't have the luxury of patience at the time, given we were fighting for Premiership survival, and then the same in the Champ the next season.

It's encouraging that he's developed, but it still rankles with me that he didn't do it with us. It's pure sour grapes, I'll admit and I'm still harbouring resentment at Fitzpatrick's departure (hell, I'm still hacked off Adam Strachan decided to devote more time to being a drunken bamstick than a footballer). 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

If Archie was to get the job, we would be in the Lowland League in 2 seasons. Or bust.

That may be a sad truth, so I hope it doesn’t happen, on an entirely personal level, I still really like the guy. 

As @Jacky1990 said, there's plenty to criticise Archie and Gerry for, but Kevin Nisbet isn't one of them. Getting released turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him, he worked hard and has now got a big move. He also had two poor spells at Ayr, under Ian McCall, and Dumbarton under Stevie Aitken. Both at Championship level, so clearly he couldn't cut it there, never mind the Premiership at the time we released him. 

23 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's pure sour grapes, I'll admit and I'm still harbouring resentment at Fitzpatrick's departure (hell, I'm still hacked off Adam Strachan decided to devote more time to being a drunken bamstick than a footballer). 

The only issue  I have with Fitzpatrick, is that we didn't see more of him, would've loved for us to develop him a bit more before his move down south, with Norwich in the Championship (probably) next season, hopefully there's a chance at some point he can get part of the first team squad there, although I'd imagine he'll still a have a bit to go. Their academy is apparently very highly rated too.