The Partick Thistle thread

At least Thistle got to League 1 through their own lack of hard work on the park and imagination in the board room, and not shoehorned into the lower leagues like some b*****d Frankenstein's monster by terrified old men in suits. 

Probably something to do with the fact, we’ve been awful for three seasons straight. The average match day attendance might be on the slide but it  hardly merits “League 1 is right League for Thistle”. There’s several reasons arguable for where we are, having only 2 and a half thousand fans at a game, instead of 3 or 4, isn’t one of them. Size doesn’t merit achievement, for example, Thistle and Falkirk in League 1, Dunfermline and  Dundee in Championship are all larger than at least 2 Premiership sides. But those Premiership sides deserve to be there and those clubs albeit bigger, don’t. 
Another example is Hearts, who are now a Championship club. Size doesn’t merit League. Also, “Terrible Support” at least they are real faithful football fans, and not glory-hunters and bigots, which you’ll find at the larger 2 Glasgow clubs. 

Every club’s support suffers because of them, but I think Thistle suffers more than most simply because we are a Glasgow club.

1 hour ago, Scott Leitch said:

I'd league 1 is the right league for Partick thesedays. There fan base has been on the slide for years. Turnout even when they were in the Premier was very disappointing and then that silly grass hill behind the goal. Sad days for the few Jags fans left. Terrible support thesedays and no longer what many would think of as a moderate sized Scottish club. 

Would rather Thistle went full seaside and continued our on-field slide all the way to the Lowland League than even entertain the though of supporting Rangers 2.0.

We might be shite fans. But we'll never be "let our club die then greet any time other team's fans mention it" shite.

Bore off.

11 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Every club’s support suffers because of them, but I think Thistle suffers more than most simply because we are a Glasgow club.

100%, there’s no doubt about it. We do suffer massively due to the Old Firm, but it’s great to have the core fans we do have too. 

56 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

100%, there’s no doubt about it. We do suffer massively due to the Old Firm, but it’s great to have the core fans we do have too. 

Any Glaswegian that supports a Scottish side other than either of the arse cheeks deserves credit IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Any Glaswegian that supports a Scottish side other than either of the arse cheeks deserves credit IMO. 

Yep, I have a certain level of respect for those people that choose to not do the easy thing and support them, whether they choose Thistle or another team from the surrounding areas of Glasgow. 

Pretty sure 'Scott Leitch' is the same character who was touting Eddie Malone and Pat Clarke as credible signings for us up until about 2015, before being utterly ridiculed by everyone on the thread for his laughable opinions about football. He then reacted with a full on meltdown, which led to him dropping the Thistle fan act for an unashamed acceptance of h*ndom and Farage fanboyism on the Politics forum. 

An utterly tragic yet laughable poster. 

Edited by AMMjag

I'd league 1 is the right league for Partick thesedays. There fan base has been on the slide for years. Turnout even when they were in the Premier was very disappointing and then that silly grass hill behind the goal. Sad days for the few Jags fans left. Terrible support thesedays and no longer what many would think of as a moderate sized Scottish club. 

Trying far too hard. 1/10.

McCall is the right man to take us forward again. Knows the club and Scottish game inside out and has an eye for a signing. It's imperative we get off to a good start for the new season and if we get on a good run the sky's the limit. Trying to take positives from the situation, league 1 gives us the chance to start winning matches again, build up a feel good factor of success even if it is in the 3rd tier and reap the benefits. 

30 minutes ago, Diamond. Dave said:

McCall is the right man to take us forward again. Knows the club and Scottish game inside out and has an eye for a signing. It's imperative we get off to a good start for the new season and if we get on a good run the sky's the limit. Trying to take positives from the situation, league 1 gives us the chance to start winning matches again, build up a feel good factor of success even if it is in the 3rd tier and reap the benefits. 

Agree entirely about the first point, I hope you are correct about the last point. Although it has hard to be positive, nothing wrong with a bit of positivity. 

2 hours ago, Diamond. Dave said:

McCall made an arse of it last season. Had plenty of time to turn it around. He is the primary reason why we are in this unholy battle in courts and arbitration. He is yesterday's man. Unfortunately  I dont think we can afford to pay him off.

5 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

McCall made an arse of it last season. Had plenty of time to turn it around. He is the primary reason why we are in this unholy battle in courts and arbitration. He is yesterday's man. Unfortunately  I dont think we can afford to pay him off.

Bit unfair, I'm pretty sure he won't have decided to go to court. He might be partly at fault for his not getting off the bottom, along with every single player who played, poorly in several games this season though. I highly doubt we can afford to pay him off, think you are correct there. Although I disagree with you and think we should keep him just now, so that suits me. 

22 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Bit unfair, I'm pretty sure he won't have decided to go to court. He might be partly at fault for his not getting off the bottom, along with every single player who played, poorly in several games this season though. I highly doubt we can afford to pay him off, think you are correct there. Although I disagree with you and think we should keep him just now, so that suits me. 

Let's be brutally honest. He was getting results with Caldwell 's duffers, then brought in a raft of players in January, a couple who were pants. Barjonas the worst. Changed the side too much at once and didnt get a single league win with them. I believe that if the season had gone to it's full season we would have got the play off position, mainly due to Queens being utterly dreadful ( which by the way, we still couldn't beat them). But he isnt for me. Flatters to deceive. Should have stayed at Ayr, where he was comfortable.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Let's be brutally honest. He was getting results with Caldwell 's duffers, then brought in a raft of players in January, a couple who were pants. Barjonas the worst. Changed the side too much at once and didnt get a single league win with them. I believe that if the season had gone to it's full season we would have got the play off position, mainly due to Queens being utterly dreadful ( which by the way, we still couldn't beat them). But he isnt for me. Flatters to deceive. Should have stayed at Ayr, where he was comfortable.

I see Barjonas and raise you Darian MacKinnon 

5 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I actually agree with you, he took a massive gamble and it didn’t pay off. I disagree with the last point though, I think he’s a very good manager, as shown at Ayr and other clubs preciously and more than capable at this level, especially (and I have no idea our finances) if we are on a tight budget, where McCall usually does his best work. His record for bringing young players on is also tremendous too. 

26 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I see Barjonas and raise you Darian MacKinnon 

You got me there. He played so little I forgot about him. Mind you he gave me a chuckle when he outpaced Mark Kerr for a ball in the 1-1 draw at Firhill. 

And to add about McCall. Bring Archibald back was a dreadful decision.

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

You got me there. He played so little I forgot about him. Mind you he gave me a chuckle when he outpaced Mark Kerr for a ball in the 1-1 draw at Firhill. 

Don’t blame you for forgetting about him 😂

8 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

And to add about McCall. Bring Archibald back was a dreadful decision.

Another gamble that looks to have not paid off. 

Surely we aren’t going to go down to League 1, with 2 assistants? (I really don’t care which one he lets go, it’s unfortunate for Archie to end on an even worse note than it was when he last left  and Scally in any of his interviews he seemed a nice enough guy, who clearly is decent at what he does, as shown at Ayr) but unfortunately I don’t know if we can afford and/or need two of them. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Don’t blame you for forgetting about him 😂

Another gamble that looks to have not paid off. 

Surely we aren’t going to go down to League 1, with 2 assistants? (I really don’t care which one he lets go, it’s unfortunate for Archie to end on an even worse note than it was when he last left  and Scally in any of his interviews he seemed a nice enough guy, who clearly is decent at what he does, as shown at Ayr) but unfortunately I don’t know if we can afford and/or need two of them. 

Yeah. If one has to go, then it should be Archibald.