The Partick Thistle thread

43 minutes ago, flood said:

Only Hearts think they are due compensation.

They have been shit for 18 months and deserve nothing but relegation 

Agree about them being terrible, for a long time, it was over a year ago we played them in the Cup, and that was an absolutely horrific Thistle side, who equalised at Firhill, took the lead at Tynecastle and Hearts got a couple of penalties to see them through. (Although still think we should have got one right at the end to potentially take to Extra Time if memory serves me correct) 

41 minutes ago, flood said:

All other clubs, apart from hearts, would have no problem with 12-12-10-10

Budge was only interested in hearts staying in premiership. She has no interest in any other club.

Only hearts as they now say.........

Disagree about the first point, I think some of the League 2 clubs would still have an issue because they are scared of Kelty and Brora. 

The second point, Budge like everyone else only has interest in her club, Hearts, which she’s entitled to do so, in fact she’s more than entitled to do so that’s her club, she works for them, however the paintings of her trying to protect the whole of Scottish Football or caring about it, are nonsense, as they would be if any other Chairman/Chairwoman of any other clubs also claimed they were doing the same.

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

To be honest I've struggled to get too hard about the whole affair. League One is ultimately where we were going and where we deserve to be after a sustained two and a half years of failure and shitebaggery at all levels of the club - the odd player cull announcement is the most I've celebrated as a Thistle fan in that time. 

The club is in dire need of a bit of momentum and isn't going to get that in the Championship with Low at the helm and new contracts being dished out to the likes of Penrice and O'Ware. With or without the advantage of a compensation payment we should be approaching next season with nothing less than the objective of a comfortable promotion - if we can secure that great; otherwise, there should be a sufficient enough level of poison in the atmosphere for Low, Britton and any other layer of failed management to be hounded out the club and start afresh from there, which is good enough for me. 

No we shouldn’t, that’s the complete wrong attitude. We should be approaching next season by going for the title therefore Promotion, but not the word comfortable. It’s a very tricky league to get out of, ask Raith Fans, Dunfermline Fans, Falkirk Fans, we should not expect it to be comfortable before a player has been signed or a ball has been kicked. We should be going for promotion, but it’s going to be no stroll, and I wouldn’t expect it to be. (On that point I hope I’m wrong and we win every game and win the league by 30 points, but that’s not going to happen, not with the other teams in it) I suppose it depends how you define comfortable, personally I’d take going up by 2 points on the last day of the season, right now without hesitation. 

9 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Disagree about the first point, I think some of the League 2 clubs would still have an issue because they are scared of Kelty and Brora. 

The second point, Budge like everyone else only has interest in her club, Hearts, which she’s entitled to do so, in fact she’s more than entitled to do so that’s her club, she works for them, however the paintings of her trying to protect the whole of Scottish Football or caring about it, are nonsense, as they would be if any other Chairman/Chairwoman of any other clubs also claimed they were doing the same.

Make it 12-12-10-8 then! 

Thistle went down wrong route backing budge, she is toxic

1 hour ago, flood said:

All other clubs, apart from hearts, would have no problem with 12-12-10-10

Budge was only interested in hearts staying in premiership. She has no interest in any other club.

Only hearts as they now say.........

I mean, it would be pretty naive to expect Hearts to draft and support a proposal like that but - I'm happy to be corrected here - there was nothing to stop other member clubs putting forward a more workable alternative to whatever Budge was trying (and failing) to sell.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, it would be pretty naive to expect Hearts to draft and support a proposal like that but - I'm happy to be corrected here - there was nothing to stop other member clubs putting forward a more workable alternative to whatever Budge was trying (and failing) to sell.

I think you are correct to some extent, because was it not Livingston who first gave the idea of a 14-10-10-10 and how it would work, although it was mostly ignored, wrongly in my view, for far to long then by the time Budge did decide on going with it, it was the last vote taking place and therefore arguably too late. Rangers (for their own benefits of course) also proposed the 14-14-18, which was rightfully in my view, thrown out of question. 

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Budge led reconstruction group at start. She wanted temporary change for 1 year to save hearts.

She obviously cares not a jot about lower clubs as she previously stated too many clubs in Scotland 

she then flip flopped to permanent when temp change failed.

12-12-10-10 would have been best solution from start 

Edited by flood

28 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

No we shouldn’t, that’s the complete wrong attitude. We should be approaching next season by going for the title therefore Promotion, but not the word comfortable. It’s a very tricky league to get out of, ask Raith Fans, Dunfermline Fans, Falkirk Fans, we should not expect it to be comfortable before a player has been signed or a ball has been kicked. We should be going for promotion, but it’s going to be no stroll, and I wouldn’t expect it to be. (On that point I hope I’m wrong and we win every game and win the league by 30 points, but that’s not going to happen, not with the other teams in it) I suppose it depends how you define comfortable, personally I’d take going up by 2 points on the last day of the season, right now without hesitation. 

As opposed to the right attitude which is, what - happy-clapping continued decline in the seaside leagues because that has been the experience of other basket case clubs, who melted against title-winning sides managed by luminaries like John McGlynn, Dick Campbell and Jim Duffy? 

I'm well aware that there's a very real risk of exactly that being the case for us too, but it is by that very fact that next season should be the final trial before death row for all levels of management at the club, rather than having the can kicked further down the road because we're cowering from the challenge of Man City and Bayern Mun - sorry - Falkirk and Cove. 

9 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

As opposed to the right attitude which is, what - happy-clapping continued decline in the seaside leagues because that has been the experience of other basket case clubs, who melted against title-winning sides managed by luminaries like John McGlynn, Dick Campbell and Jim Duffy? 

I'm well aware that there's a very real risk of exactly that being the case for us too, but it is by that very fact that next season should be the final trial before death row for all levels of management at the club, rather than having the can kicked further down the road because we're cowering from the challenge of Man City and Bayern Mun - sorry - Falkirk and Cove. 

No I made it clear my thoughts on the right attitude far from being happy with the league we are in, or expecting to continue to a decline. But expecting it to be a comfortable title winning season before a ball is kicked, is wrong in my view. I expect promotion, but the use of the word “comfortable” is the wrong attitude, I don’t think this will be a walk in the park, a difficult league to get out of it, that doesn’t mean we won’t and shouldn’t expect to do so, it means saying it should be comfortable is probably not the correct thing to do. 
We might stroll it, I sincerely hope we do, but it shouldn’t be said before the season has began. Remember these same type comments were made about the Championship. We are a club that should expect to be challenging for promotion in every league bar the top (the same as many others of our size), but expecting it to be comfortable is slightly naive. 
We are cowering or shouldn’t be cowering from any challenge, we should be up for the challenge, we should challenge to win that league, I’ve made that quite clear I feel. 

Edited by JagsCG

54 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

You should be calling SPFL Monday morning, for a 12-12-10-10 setup! 

Just now, flood said:

You should be calling SPFL Monday morning, for a 12-12-10-10 setup! 

If I knew Jacqui personally, I’d tell her. 
Although can we back out of all this arbitration stuff now? I’m not sure we could. 

I think this last season has just shown that we will need to be top of the league from day 1.
And absolutely never in 9th or 10th.

We all need actual football right now. It’s been more than three months of restructuring arguments against the background of lockdown causing people to be on edge. It’s cruel that we have to endure this for a few months longer.

Can’t wait for the old arguments over whether Banzo should be starting, whether Penrice is any good, and whether signing A is a disaster.

I did an exhibition with a young Alan McManus in Blackpool (where many World snooker events were once held) for Thistle's players and staff back in 1991. I performed various trick shots with the assistance of the players. The best cue action on the team was a blonde haired chap Graeme Robertson. The manager John watched the race with me on a portable in the games room before we started as it was on Derby day we remained friends and I went on to support them in their promotion that season to the top flight and have followed them ever since but it's becoming increasingly harder these days as from my perspective the whole of Scotland's football game has slowly grown into an embarrassing meaningless shambles and which was once respected in England is now a joke.

I did an exhibition with a young Alan McManus in Blackpool (where many World snooker events were once held) for Thistle's players and staff back in 1991. I performed various trick shots with the assistance of the players. The best cue action on the team was a blonde haired chap Graeme Robertson. The manager John watched the race with me on a portable in the games room before we started as it was on Derby day we remained friends and I went on to support them in their promotion that season to the top flight and have followed them ever since but it's becoming increasingly harder these days as from my perspective the whole of Scotland's football game has slowly grown into an embarrassing meaningless shambles and which was once respected in England is now a joke.
Balls.

5 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think this last season has just shown that we will need to be top of the league from day 1.
And absolutely never in 9th or 10th.

Couldn’t agree more, need a good start to the campaign, cannot start near the bottom and have to work our way up (which we haven’t even did last 2 years) the table. A good start is key.