The Partick Thistle thread

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Really? How many players do Thistle have on the books?

There are 17 players under contract for next season. That includes 10 of last season's squad, 2 new arrivals, Niang (who should step up to the senior squad) plus 4 apprentices.

In addition, there are 5 players from last season who have short-term extensions to their contracts which were due to finish the end of May. If they are not offered new deals.  Fox and Zanatta have left  so that's up to 7 players who need to be replaced.

Then you've also got to add the management team, physios, Gerry Britton and other support staff.  So the total club wage bill, without furlough subsidy, is probably well over £1 million. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Brechin haven't been treated differently.  Hearts, Partick and Stranraer finished the season in an automatic relegation position.   Brechin didn't - they finished in a position that lead to a relegation play off.  No other club finishing in a relegation playoff position has been treated any differently to how Brechin have, since the playoffs can't take place. 

Sorry mate, I didn’t appreciate that the play offs had been rescheduled and Brechin were having to play.

Fair play to you - consider me telt.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

8 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

There are 17 players under contract for next season. That includes 10 of last season's squad, 2 new arrivals, Niang (who should step up to the senior squad) plus 4 apprentices.

In addition, there are 5 players from last season who have short-term extensions to their contracts which were due to finish the end of May. If they are not offered new deals.  Fox and Zanatta have left  so that's up to 7 players who need to be replaced.

Then you've also got to add the management team, physios, Gerry Britton and other support staff.  So the total club wage bill, without furlough subsidy, is probably well over £1 million. 

Apologies I thought you meant purely the playing budget.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Apologies I thought you meant purely the playing budget.

The playing budget, with several players getting new deals in recent months, could be close to £1 million. Even with wage cuts due to relegation clauses, the club has big financial commitments.

Sorry for the typos above. My Mac went into update mode and somehow it got scrambled. It's a massive OS update so Mac owners be warned!

Edited by Bishop Briggs

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Sorry mate, I didn’t appreciate that the play offs had been rescheduled and Brechin were having to play.

Fair play to you - consider me telt.

Let’s make it simple - Leagues were ended and positions decided on PPG.  Hearts and Partick have no quibble that Celtic, Cove, Dundee United and Raith are declared champions.  Thus the right of the champions is European CL or promotion and thus the other side of the coin the three clubs bottom of their leagues where there is auto-relegation are relegated.  All very logical.  Play offs can’t be played thus all clubs in play off spots either miss out on their promotion chance (the majority - including Falkirk and Cowdenbeath) or avoid possible relegation (Brechin and 2nd bottom placed clubs in top 3 tiers).  That is just how it is - there is no intrinsically fairer arrangement 

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Hinging oot hearts arses. Tramps

Emjoy starting in WOS league if your even voted in to that league set up

Embarassment

A fan from a team that currently employs David Goodwillie has no moral high ground to take I’m afraid. Sorry!

3 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Let’s make it simple - Leagues were ended and positions decided on PPG.  Hearts and Partick have no quibble that Celtic, Cove, Dundee United and Raith are declared champions.  Thus the right of the champions is European CL or promotion and thus the other side of the coin the three clubs bottom of their leagues where there is auto-relegation are relegated.  All very logical.  Play offs can’t be played thus all clubs in play off spots either miss out on their promotion chance (the majority - including Falkirk and Cowdenbeath) or avoid possible relegation (Brechin and 2nd bottom placed clubs in top 3 tiers).  That is just how it is - there is no intrinsically fairer arrangement 

So playoffs aren’t on then ??

24 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Don’t think the 5 players who are on the extended monthly contracts, will get new deals. Not sure, but I doubt it.

10 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Don’t think the 5 players who are on the extended monthly contracts, will get new deals. Not sure, but I doubt it.

Agreed but the current squad is not big enough for when/if the season starts.

So how many new signings can we afford and can we offer terms to attract better players.

Compensation for relegation could be a huge help in improving the team.

ETA - any ideas on possible recruits other than ex-Jags who have been released?

Edited by Bishop Briggs

25 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The playing budget, with several players getting new deals in recent months, could be close to £1 million. Even with wage cuts due to relegation clauses, the club has big financial commitments.

I find that fairly staggering but I'm used to wee diddy club numbers I suppose. £1M is 25 players on an average wage of over £700 a week. I can't imagine anyone would need to spend that sort of money getting out of this league but appreciate you have guys already committed and probably didn't envisage relegation.

15 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Compensation for relegation could be a huge help in improving the team.

ETA - any ideas on possible recruits other than ex-Jags who have been released?

True, if could be a massive help. 
I’d imagine there must be a fair few free agents we’d be looking at, at the moment, but apart from former players returning, Erskine, Paton etc. I can’t think of anyone that I’d sign. 
Technically an Ex-Jag, although wasn’t here for long, Steven Anderson, released from St Johnstone, would be a good move. 
We need a few wingers, with Zanatta moving on, and probably Cardle leaving. Strikers wise, probably just one more backup, (Doolan will get spoken about, whether it’s him or not, I don’t know). 
I’d hope McCall has targets anyway, but it all depends on when the league will start up again, as to whether we’ll get them. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find that fairly staggering but I'm used to wee diddy club numbers I suppose. £1M is 25 players on an average wage of over £700 a week. I can't imagine anyone would need to spend that sort of money getting out of this league but appreciate you have guys already committed and probably didn't envisage relegation.

I would not be surprised if several (or most) players were on £1k a week or more last season, i.e. £50k+ a year. Kenny Miller certainly was and terminating his deal would not have been cheap.

We have had massive turnover of players in the last couple of years. Including loanees, there were 28 players (eta - not counting the reserves and youths in the Glasgow Cup) who played for us last season. 5 were binned in or around the January window. That's another factor in our large wage bill.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not sure why Brechin have been treated differently from the other clubs ?

Also somebody earlier mentioned the league in Northern Ireland is reviewing things. Difference is their clubs had an appetite for fairness and to give a decent period to review things.

In Scotland the clubs wanted the league positions decided ASAP for some reason. And look at the mess now !!

I know!

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I would not be surprised if several (or most) players were on £1k a week or more last season, i.e. £50k+ a year. Kenny Miller certainly was and terminating his deal would not have been cheap.

We have had massive turnover of players in the last couple of years. Including loanees, there were 28 players (eta - not counting the reserves and youths in the Glasgow Cup) who played for us last season. 5 were binned in or around the January window. That's another factor in our large wage bill.

Did he get paid off? I was under the impression that he had agreed to “rip it up” so to speak. 

We wasted so much money on certain people last season, none more so than Mitch Austin. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Did he get paid off? I was under the impression that he had agreed to “rip it up” so to speak. 

We wasted so much money on certain people last season, none more so than Mitch Austin. 

I would have expected to get a decent lump sum. Are termination pay-offs are tax free? If so, there could have been a negotiated settlement to save us money. 

To Mitch Austin, I'd add Coulibaly, Storer, Ntambwe and Mutombo. We can't afford another window of costly mistakes.