The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

A good few are out of contract, Jones, mckinnon, Saunders etc

There was chat locally here of McKinnon joining Drumchapel who appear to be lobbing a fair bit of cash around.

How was Saunders for you guys? Injured?

Edited by The Moonster

4 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Didn't Cerny have a change of heart after the inital batch of relegation release clauses was published? Maybe some others will jump if their agents find them a better deal.

He did but it was around this time of year he did it which would suggest the deadline is around now.

20 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Didn't Cerny have a change of heart after the inital batch of relegation release clauses was published? Maybe some others will jump if their agents find them a better deal.

I presume the clause has an expiry date of the first weekend in June. However, it would be awfully Thistle to announce that the deadline had passed, then still have players leave because of it.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

I was delighted when we signed Zanatta...😑

Obvious areas for recruitment are: creative central midfielder, full-back, wingers/attacking midfielders, centre back.

Sneddon

Williamson - O'Ware - Brownlie - Penrice

Niang

Docherty - Bannigan

Lyons

Graham - Rudden

Scullion, Renfrew, Rodden, Watson, Gordon, Mansell

Agreed, creative midfielder, a centre back and options at full back are a must.

I think we will try go two up top kost of the season so theres a fair chance we go with a 3-5-2 which will mean we need 2 more centre backs, preferably one that could cover one of the full back positions as well.

One player I could see us being interested in is Calvin Miller. Just released from Celtic, can play anywhere down the left and has worked with McCall before. Would essentially replace Tommy Robson bur he just strikes me as a McCall project type player.

Could also see Steven Anderson and Chris Erskine returning. 

I think we will try go two up top kost of the season so theres a fair chance we go with a 3-5-2 which will mean we need 2 more centre backs, preferably one that could cover one of the full back positions as well.
One player I could see us being interested in is Calvin Miller. Just released from Celtic, can play anywhere down the left and has worked with McCall before. Would essentially replace Tommy Robson bur he just strikes me as a McCall project type player.

McCall didn’t like Miller. Caught him slagging off people at Celtic and said he thought he was better than he was. He only played him last season because he had no other attacking options.

I can see the 3 at the back though. It seems to be McCalls favoured approach and he always tried to play it a few times at Ayr but never had the right players.

59 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
1 hour ago, Nightmare said:
The club confirms only Fox and Zanatta have chosen to exercise their release clause.
A shame. Was hoping we’d get rid of some more shite.

A good few are out of contract, Jones, mckinnon, Saunders etc

I know that. But we’re still carrying over about 12 or 13 of this absolutely dreadful squad, even with Fox and Zanatta choosing to go.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Penrice leaving then ?

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/player-update-8th-june-2020/

"Partick Thistle can confirm that the deadline for players activating relegation release clauses in their contract has passed.

"Two players, Scott Fox and Dario Zanatta, have chosen to invoke their relegation release clause and have left the club.

"All other players with a contract in place for the 2020/21 campaign have confirmed their commitment to the club for the season ahead."

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall didn’t like Miller. Caught him slagging off people at Celtic and said he thought he was better than he was. He only played him last season because he had no other attacking options.

I can see the 3 at the back though. It seems to be McCalls favoured approach and he always tried to play it a few times at Ayr but never had the right players.

Fair enough.

Was putting two and two together and probably getting five.

32 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/player-update-8th-june-2020/

"Partick Thistle can confirm that the deadline for players activating relegation release clauses in their contract has passed.

"Two players, Scott Fox and Dario Zanatta, have chosen to invoke their relegation release clause and have left the club.

"All other players with a contract in place for the 2020/21 campaign have confirmed their commitment to the club for the season ahead."

Well if we have Graham, Rudden, Brownlie and Lyons all staying I for one will be delighted!

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Would be quite happy with Anderson returning. Not very mobile anymore but reads the game well, and would suit a back 3.

As for Erskine, if it was up to him, he’d have signed a contract with us last week, but that one boils down to McCall and his plans. 

I actually think our number one priority in terms of a signing is a no-nonsense defensive midfielder. Someone in the mould of David Rowson.

Bannigan isn't disciplined enough to play that role, Docherty doesn't strike me as that kind of midfielder. Haven't seen Senna play but he's not very experienced.

Beyond that, we need at least one versatile defender who can play either both wing-backs (ideally someone young but competent) or a wing-back and a centre-back berth (of the Gary Miller mould), a second winger to go opposite Lyons, and an attacking midfielder. Safe to assume that if the budget is there and not taken up with other positions, Squiddy is a stick-on to take that AM berth.

Despite him not having invoked any relegation release clause (if indeed he has one) I don't think Mansell will be here when the league begins in earnest and will definitely be gone by January. I can see Kris Doolan then coming in and filling the kind of role Simon Donnelly did towards the end of his playing days: as a de facto attacking coach who can fill out the bench when required.

I think I'd quite like Williamson to go, but that he'll be kept unless we are in a position to sign someone better. I also think Penrice isn't going anywhere (in both senses of that phrase). I reckon we'll keep a hold of Shea Gordon but he's the sort we plausibly might mutual consent if someone else shows an interest.

35 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I actually think our number one priority in terms of a signing is a no-nonsense defensive midfielder. Someone in the mould of David Rowson.

Bannigan isn't disciplined enough to play that role, Docherty doesn't strike me as that kind of midfielder. Haven't seen Senna play but he's not very experienced.

Docherty isn’t an out and out Defensive Mid,  but he is a tackling mid, closer to defending than attacking. 
I think Sena is a defensive mid, but as you say not got a lot of experience. 

Beyond that, Paul Paton is a free agent? 

Beyond that, we need at least one versatile defender who can play either both wing-backs (ideally someone young but competent) or a wing-back and a centre-back berth (of the Gary Miller mould), a second winger to go opposite Lyons, and an attacking midfielder. Safe to assume that if the budget is there and not taken up with other positions, Squiddy is a stick-on to take that AM berth.
Despite him not having invoked any relegation release clause (if indeed he has one) I don't think Mansell will be here when the league begins in earnest and will definitely be gone by January. I can see Kris Doolan then coming in and filling the kind of role Simon Donnelly did towards the end of his playing days: as a de facto attacking coach who can fill out the bench when required.
I think I'd quite like Williamson to go, but that he'll be kept unless we are in a position to sign someone better. I also think Penrice isn't going anywhere (in both senses of that phrase). I reckon we'll keep a hold of Shea Gordon but he's the sort we plausibly might mutual consent if someone else shows an interest.

Docherty will absolutely put himself about and at that level can easily do the dirty work whilst still being good on the ball. He is prone to the odd heads gone moment and gives away stupid free kicks but he’s a solid wee guy and won’t be bullied.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Docherty will absolutely put himself about and at that level can easily do the dirty work whilst still being good on the ball. He is prone to the odd heads gone moment and gives away stupid free kicks but he’s a solid wee guy and won’t be bullied.

I’m a bit worried he and Bannigan are too similar.