The Partick Thistle thread

It can't be completed.
If we wait then there won't be teams around to complete it. This has all been covered before.

How long do you think the money distributed today will last for some of the clubs and will that be before or after football gets played again ?

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A few hours might have done it.  We were due to play your lot on the Friday that saw the plug pulled.  I'd imagine a defeat, or maybe even a draw - I've not worked it out - would have taken our points per game average below Thistle's.

Sorry for quoting myself.

Actually, even had we lost on the Friday night, Thistle would have needed to win their weekend game to actually get above us on average points.

Had we simply lost on the Friday and had things end then, we'd have survived by 0.0026.  Had we lost then Thistle drew, we'd have survived by 0.0012 which would have been even more unfair/hilarious.

It's funny what the lockdown does to a person.

3 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

This resulted in Inverness gaining promotion by ground-sharing with Aberdeen - an arrangement that had been deemed unacceptable the season before when Falkirk won the league and proposed to play at Airdrie for a season whilst they built a stadium.

Worth mentioning ICT were accepted, and Falkirk rejected, because ICT used an SPL stadium and Falkirk didnt.

Falkirk couldnt guarantee the SPL that Airdrie wouldnt be scheduled to play a home game on the same day Falkirk were.

13 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

How long do you think the money distributed today will last for some of the clubs and will that be before or after football gets played again ?

A bit.

It's been covered before but I'll do it again:

- They will be able to generate other revenue: Not extending this season at least lets us know that there will be an attempt to start the new one in August or September. It also lets clubs know which league they'll be in. This gives them a much better basis for selling season tickets and gives fans a better basis for buying them. Likewise sponsors, be it shirt sponsors, pitch side advertising etc. Clubs can also start selling hospitality for games once a fixture list is published. Extending this season won't allow that until the season is ended, or at least won't be as attractive to fans since in many cases they won't know yet which league they'll be in.

- Finishing the season means clubs won't have to extend contracts or sign new players earlier than they intended. This also means they won't have to pay for their entire squad and backroom team in full for however long it takes to finish the season. They'd have to do this with little to no income coming in, and they'd be paying for it over periods they never budgeted for. Some clubs don't sign players until shortly before the season starts to save on costs. 

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning ICT were accepted, and Falkirk rejected, because ICT used an SPL stadium and Falkirk didnt.

Falkirk couldnt guarantee the SPL that Airdrie wouldnt be scheduled to play a home game on the same day Falkirk were.

Aye, that was the reason - nothing to do with wanting a Highland team in the top division. 

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That though is a key example of the SPL at its grotty self serving worst.  It wasn't justified.

19 minutes ago, bad chad said:

Aye, that was the reason - nothing to do with wanting a Highland team in the top division. 

What?

The same thing happened to Gretna, and they chose Fir Park, which allowed them to get in.

SPL and SFL being different entities fucked over Falkirk.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

That though is a key example of the SPL at its grotty self serving worst.  It wasn't justified.

Maybe. The SFL weren't helpful at all by most accounts in helping Falkirk, only reason was the issue of potential fixture clashes, and the SFL didnt open up to let the SPL dictate a fixture list.

3 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Teams agree to compete in a competition based on a set of rules. They can't just be changed on a whim. Apart from in Scottish football.

The bit in bold really takes the breath away, it ranks right up there with Ann Budge and her “don’t relegate us, we spent good munny”  nonsense as among the stupidest quotes in a week chock full of stupid quotes.  Haven’t you got the slightest awareness of what’s actually going on in the world right now?

No need to answer that.  Instead, just away and throw shite at yerself.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but cant be arsed reading back. I see Jacqui Low is representing Thistle in the reconstruction group. Have you decided not to pursue legal action on the relegation in the hope that reconstruction gets voted through?

4 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Don't disagree - Falkirk should absolutely have been promoted and Motherwell relegated. The rules should have been changed then. But they weren't. Teams agree to compete in a competition based on a set of rules. They can't just be changed on a whim. Apart from in Scottish football.

There has been some utter nonsense posted on this thread but the term “on a whim” surpasses anything I’ve seen.

Or hope to see.

I'm still striving and failing to get worked up by all this.

Completely changing the league set-up just to avoid relegation for a season is pathetic and short sighted. I didn't want us to get relegated, but we have been utter, utter pish all season (aaaaaall fuckin season!!!) and frankly would have gone down anyway, as there is no way we were catching Alloa (let that phrase sink in next time you fancy getting your frillies in a twist at the "injustice" served) and we would have gotten horsed in a play off by either Falkirk or Raith. 

I would have preferred some kind of financial settlement to soften the blow of early relegation (as the fair and sporting thing to do) but this may not be possible. I guess it's because I've been fairly well informed about the severity and extent of this virus that I struggle to give a shit about what division we're playing in next season. This is unique and unprecedented. We would have been happily getting it right up Morton fans (I would, for sure) or any other team should it have been them in our position (except for Ayr or ICT who are obvious good lads, and Arbroath whose pies deserve a michelin star).

There's also the fact that I get to watch more games next season (Peterhead, Cove and Montrose) and that we have been here before. It'll be quite nice to get reacquainted with Airdrie, as I haven't felt burning hatred for a team in years, and I've been missing it.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm still striving and failing to get worked up by all this.

Completely changing the league set-up just to avoid relegation for a season is pathetic and short sighted. I didn't want us to get relegated, but we have been utter, utter pish all season (aaaaaall fuckin season!!!) and frankly would have gone down anyway, as there is no way we were catching Alloa (let that phrase sink in next time you fancy getting your frillies in a twist at the "injustice" served) and we would have gotten horsed in a play off by either Falkirk or Raith. 

I would have preferred some kind of financial settlement to soften the blow of early relegation (as the fair and sporting thing to do) but this may not be possible. I guess it's because I've been fairly well informed about the severity and extent of this virus that I struggle to give a shit about what division we're playing in next season. This is unique and unprecedented. We would have been happily getting it right up Morton fans (I would, for sure) or any other team should it have been them in our position (except for Ayr or ICT who are obvious good lads, and Arbroath whose pies deserve a michelin star).

There's also the fact that I get to watch more games next season (Peterhead, Cove and Montrose) and that we have been here before. It'll be quite nice to get reacquainted with Airdrie, as I haven't felt burning hatred for a team in years, and I've been missing it.

Everyone hates airdrie.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A fair point but hardly an insurmountable issue at the time. Were that the deciding factor, it wouldn't have been voted down initially.

20 hours ago, third lanark said:

Don’t think you can lecture anyone with your sick Colin weir joke.

besides surely it’s up to him how he spends his own money, no idea why your getting so worked up

Peterhead is a lovely away day.

A bit.
It's been covered before but I'll do it again:
- They will be able to generate other revenue: Not extending this season at least lets us know that there will be an attempt to start the new one in August or September. It also lets clubs know which league they'll be in. This gives them a much better basis for selling season tickets and gives fans a better basis for buying them. Likewise sponsors, be it shirt sponsors, pitch side advertising etc. Clubs can also start selling hospitality for games once a fixture list is published. Extending this season won't allow that until the season is ended, or at least won't be as attractive to fans since in many cases they won't know yet which league they'll be in.
- Finishing the season means clubs won't have to extend contracts or sign new players earlier than they intended. This also means they won't have to pay for their entire squad and backroom team in full for however long it takes to finish the season. They'd have to do this with little to no income coming in, and they'd be paying for it over periods they never budgeted for. Some clubs don't sign players until shortly before the season starts to save on costs. 

How do teams know which league they will be playing in exactly? I thought that reconstruction talks were part of the deal ?